Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus? - Page 21 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: did you buy an extended warranty?
Nope. Included warranty only. 73 47.10%
Yes. PowertrainCARE (29 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. BaseCARE (84 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. ExtraCARE (113 key components covered). 5 3.23%
Yes. PremiumCARE (500+ key components covered). 75 48.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #201
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
kam327;4101680]I respectfully disagree. Is the 2006 Ford Explorer a lemon? Nope. It's not bulletproof and they have a couple of chronic issues (e.g. V6 radiators) but no chronic powertrain issues that I'm aware of. But I just had to have a head gasket replaced at only 53k miles. Probably a 1 in 10,000 chance. A $2,500 job that was fully covered by my $0 deductible GM Major Guard extended warranty (bought the Ex slightly used at a Cadillac dealer). I paid $1,200 for the warranty - in this case it turned out to be a wise investment. I could not possibly have invested that money and doubled it in 2 1/2 years unless I got really lucky.

In my view an extended warranty is insurance to cover that 1 in 1,000 chance occurance. Each person has to judge the cost-benefit for themselves.
Spend $2,800 on a 1 in 1,000 chance of getting back more than $2,800? Those are very, very poor odds. So we spend $2,800 to save $2,500. We're still out $300. It would have been wiser to save that $2,800, pay for the $2,500 repair in cash and be $300 ahead of the game. Again, extended warranties are usually not a financially wise idea.

Quote:
So will your neighborhood mechanic. What's the difference?
Any automotive technician/neighborhood mechanic isn't going to repair a vehicle to the absolute cut to the bone cost, as this greatly increases the likelihood of the vehicle coming back for corrective/warranty repairs. In the automotive maintenance and repair industry, these are referred to as comebacks and are an absolute nightmare.

Quote:
Not trying to disrespectfully dump all over you, just pointing out that you may have gone slightly overboard and sometimes an extended warranty really does come through on a car that you had no reason to expect it breaking down. I've seen no other posts regarding blown head gaskets in '06-'10 Explorers on the Explorer forum, yet it happened to mine. 1 in 10,000 chance.
So now we spend $2,800 in the 1 in 10,000 chance that we'll get more than $2,800 back? That's even worse.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #202
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I didn't see any limitations on the Ford warranty website. It only says if you buy a plan while the car is still under the original warranty you lock in the price now. Doesn't say anything about needing to buy a plan before the warranty expires.

And there's always the plan advertised on the radio for any car with less than 125,000 miles. I wouldn't be comfortable with that one though.
There are always limitations with these rip-off extended warranties. Generally, they trumpet that the warranty is, "bumper-to-bumper", misleading the consumer into believing that anything and everything is covered. This is an all out lie! Any parts that are considered normal wear and tear items, which includes most of the parts on the car such as tires, struts/schocks, wiper blades, spark plugs/wires, bulbs/lights, hoses, belts, filters, coolant/antifreeze, brakes, exhaust system, etc., etc., etc., are not covered under extended warranties as these items are, "Normal wear and tear items", that are expected to eventually need replacing and are not covered by these rip-off, "Bumper-to-bumper", extended warranties! Generally the only thing these rip-off extended warranties cover are catastrophic engine/transmission failures and just how often does that occur?

Read the fine print before you toss your hard earned money into the toilet!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #203
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
The dealer I bought from tried pushing an extended warranty on me, I said... "That tells me you don't trust your product, maybe I better look at a different car."... He didn't like that.. I chose not to buy the warranty and instead plan to spend what the warranty costs on...

1. Ford's IDS system and when needed a 3 day subscription to the Motorcraft service website for access to updated factory shop manuals, TSB's and other documentation. Which will also work other Ford/Mazda Vehicles than just my Focus when the day inevitably comes that i buy a newer one.. Plus, I can use this to make a few bucks when fixing friend's cars...

2. By the time the factory warranty expires, there should be enough of these things that have been wrecked and end up on ebay parts auctions or local "U pull it" lots to get good useable parts at a discount.. Plus there will be reman parts and more aftermarket support by then...

Finally since I have a trim level that omits most of the "problematic" features I feel an extended warranty is a waste of money... It can never fail and cause a problem if it was never there in the first place..

You are very, very wise! Hopefully others here will take our common-sense advice and not throw a huge chunk of their money out the window on these rip-off extended warranties!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #204
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
You are very, very wise! Hopefully others here will take our common-sense advice and not throw a huge chunk of their money out the window on these rip-off extended warranties!
Let me guess, You're a Dave Ramsey fan aren't ya...
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #205
AlexanderDelarge
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97386
What I Drive: 2012, Ford Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 AlexanderDelarge Good Standing Member
“Extended warranty! How can I lose!" Homer Simpson
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #206
TBR17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97229
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5door SEL Premium Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 TBR17 Good Standing Member
Premium Care 6yr 125k miles with a 100.00 deductible.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #207
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Spend $2,800 on a 1 in 1,000 chance of getting back more than $2,800? Those are very, very poor odds. So we spend $2,800 to save $2,500. We're still out $300. It would have been wiser to save that $2,800, pay for the $2,500 repair in cash and be $300 ahead of the game. Again, extended warranties are usually not a financially wise idea.

Any automotive technician/neighborhood mechanic isn't going to repair a vehicle to the absolute cut to the bone cost, as this greatly increases the likelihood of the vehicle coming back for corrective/warranty repairs. In the automotive maintenance and repair industry, these are referred to as comebacks and are an absolute nightmare.

So now we spend $2,800 in the 1 in 10,000 chance that we'll get more than $2,800 back? That's even worse.
I said it cost me $1,200. GM MajorGuard - Pretty much bumper to bumper and $0 deductible. And I got $3,000 out of it and counting. I only got it because I knew that the '06 Explorer was the first year of a significant update - new engine and tranny (for the Ex), I had read new or heavily updated chassis, etc. Now I'm glad I did.

Oh, and that $3,000 was what was negotiated between the dealer and the warranty company - I would have had to pay significantly more out of pocket had I not had the extended warranty. $1,200 to cover $4,000+ sounds like a great deal to me.

Since based on my research I felt that this particular Ex was priced roughly $2,000 below others on the market, it seemed like a no brainer. Paying an extra $1,200 added about 6% to the purchase price.

Paying $2,800 for an extended warranty would be a much more jagged pill to swallow and I probably wouldn't do it. If anything I'll get an extended powertrain warranty for the Focus after the 5/60 is up.

Last edited by kam327; 04-12-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added line.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #208
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,565, Level 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
Let me guess, You're a Dave Ramsey fan aren't ya...
Or Suzy Orman!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #209
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,565, Level 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
There are always limitations with these rip-off extended warranties. Generally, they trumpet that the warranty is, "bumper-to-bumper", misleading the consumer into believing that anything and everything is covered. This is an all out lie! Any parts that are considered normal wear and tear items, which includes most of the parts on the car such as tires, struts/schocks, wiper blades, spark plugs/wires, bulbs/lights, hoses, belts, filters, coolant/antifreeze, brakes, exhaust system, etc., etc., etc., are not covered under extended warranties as these items are, "Normal wear and tear items", that are expected to eventually need replacing and are not covered by these rip-off, "Bumper-to-bumper", extended warranties! Generally the only thing these rip-off extended warranties cover are catastrophic engine/transmission failures and just how often does that occur?

Read the fine print before you toss your hard earned money into the toilet!
Dude chill out. The plan descriptions I've seen from Ford and GM pretty clearly lay out all the components that are covered. All anyone who can fog a mirror needs to do is look over that list and judge for themselves if the price seems worth their peace of mind over the useful life of the car.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #210
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,565, Level 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Oh, and one more thing. There are dozens of folks on here saying they're going to trade their Focus in after a year or less and take a several thousand dollar hit on it. Where are you in responding to those posts? That's a far dumber idea than spending a couple grand on what is essentially insurance. I would think your channeling of Dave Ramsey would kick in to overdrive denouncing those stupid financial moves, but I don't remember seeing anything from you.....

Some sort of weird fetish with extended warranties going on here.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.