Making the best headlights attempt #2 - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #31
kwillett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83880
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kwillett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
hey, did the HID's fit before u did surgery on these headlights? I'm not planning on spending a ton of cash and kind of just want some cheap 6000k hits just for low beams? have any suggestions?? point me in the right direction. and do u have a resistor? my drivers side low beam keeps blowing h1's? I've got the same housings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #32
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Simple answer: if you don't want to fork over the cash to do it right, then dont bother.

Long answer: Ebay projectors, not the headlights, but the actual projecter element themselves are not very high quality. They produce uneven beams of light, and as a result, produce less usable light than the stock reflector headlights. Putting HIDs in these housings does not improve this as the housings are not designed to withstand the heat that HID bulbs produce. Before long, the reflective surface inside of the projector burns and bubbles, which reduces light output even more, and causes even worse patterns in the beam throw. Either way, you end up with less light than a OEM headlamp.

By retrofitting these headlights, i am effectively removing all of the actual light-emanating components and replacing them with equipment designed to handle HIDs.

This is a matter of some debate on the forums, and the rules are not to argue over it, so i wont say anything about what i think of people who take the cheap route. But, i will say this:

Putting HIDs in (reflector OR projector) housings that are not SPECIFICALLY designed for them is Illegal, Dangerous to oncoming drivers, and does not (no matter how you want to argue it) produce more usable light than halogen reflector OEM housings.

So, either fork over the cash for a proper HID setup, or stick OEM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #33
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
Brighter headlights doesnt necessarily mean better vision. When headlights get brighter, your eyes adjust for the contrast, and though you can see whats illuminated, the things that arent as lit up become impossible for the human eye to see as it cant adjust for both the brightly illuminated areas, and the dim areas at the same time,

Going even brighter than 35w makes that sensation even worse, to the point where, above your cutoff line, its simply pitch black. To the left and the right of the beam, black. Its funny how brighter lights can make you feel even more confined.

Either way, im not trying to say dont get them, just be aware that they arent going to light up the world in the way that you think they will.
That's why I hate HIDs. The sharp cut off, it's cut off is about 35-40 feet in front of you. If you coming up on a hill you can't see it till your on top of it. Same with deer I want to have more than 40 feet to stop at 55 mph if a deer walks out if front of me. Pointless if you ask me. I'll stick with my halogens. I need to take a video with my in-laws Hyundai horrible HIDs. I like the halogens cause you can see ruffly 80-100 feet in front of ya easily and what the light can't reach you still get reflections from eyes, signs. The HID anything past 40 feet is pitch black.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #34
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren View Post
That's why I hate HIDs. The sharp cut off, it's cut off is about 35-40 feet in front of you. If you coming up on a hill you can't see it till your on top of it. Same with deer I want to have more than 40 feet to stop at 55 mph if a deer walks out if front of me. Pointless if you ask me. I'll stick with my halogens. I need to take a video with my in-laws Hyundai horrible HIDs. I like the halogens cause you can see ruffly 80-100 feet in front of ya easily and what the light can't reach you still get reflections from eyes, signs. The HID anything past 40 feet is pitch black.
Aiming HIDs is an artform, it took me a few nights worth of tweaking to get mine right. Properly aimed HIDs have the cutoff line exactly level. even 1 degree up, or one degree down can mess the whole thing up. When properly aimed, there is still enough general output to light up signs and items above the cutoff line, but not so brightly as to be dangerous to oncoming traffic.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #35
Ndstrctbl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83240
What I Drive: 2000 SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Ndstrctbl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
Aiming HIDs is an artform, it took me a few nights worth of tweaking to get mine right. Properly aimed HIDs have the cutoff line exactly level. even 1 degree up, or one degree down can mess the whole thing up. When properly aimed, there is still enough general output to light up signs and items above the cutoff line, but not so brightly as to be dangerous to oncoming traffic.
It sure does take a lot of work. Once I got mine right, its like I can't really see the end of beam pattern. I get flashed sometimes...but thats cause retrofitting doesn't include auto levellers. So sometimes going over hills I get a flash but once I'm over it they stop flashing me. But I couldn't be happier.

Bookmarks & Social Networks