Making the best headlights attempt #2 - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #21
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,324, Level 93
Points: 23,324, Level: 93 Points: 23,324, Level: 93 Points: 23,324, Level: 93
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I like those headlights now that they are done correctly.. must get some eventually.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #22
SvviftSVT
Release the Kraken!!

Fan#: 58277
What I Drive: Green-Eyed 2004 Black SVT #0461

Points 11,403, Level 70
Points: 11,403, Level: 70 Points: 11,403, Level: 70 Points: 11,403, Level: 70
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 90%
Activity: 90% Activity: 90% Activity: 90%
FF Reputation: 10 SvviftSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
awesome retrofit

and freaking hilarious story about the cow.
TeamFOCALIZE!// HATCH NATION #45// October '12 ROTM

Track build has begun.
slow and steady.. but its going
Old 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,510, Level 57
Points: 7,510, Level: 57 Points: 7,510, Level: 57 Points: 7,510, Level: 57
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
why does that story sound so familiar?

oh yeah:

Im hyper sensitive about it too man, but heres some info you wont find on the internet.

Brighter headlights doesnt necessarily mean better vision. When headlights get brighter, your eyes adjust for the contrast, and though you can see whats illuminated, the things that arent as lit up become impossible for the human eye to see as it cant adjust for both the brightly illuminated areas, and the dim areas at the same time,

Going even brighter than 35w makes that sensation even worse, to the point where, above your cutoff line, its simply pitch black. To the left and the right of the beam, black. Its funny how brighter lights can make you feel even more confined.

Either way, im not trying to say dont get them, just be aware that they arent going to light up the world in the way that you think they will.

Last edited by ViperThreat; 01-05-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
FecalRocket
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75116
What I Drive: 07 Liquid Gray ST

Points 1,630, Level 23
Points: 1,630, Level: 23 Points: 1,630, Level: 23 Points: 1,630, Level: 23
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 FecalRocket Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now534 View Post
I've got the same housings and seeing this makes me want to retrofit. The lenses on my projectors now look like they have scratches on them which disappoints me and the light output is not the greatest at all. Though i modded mine to leave the low beam on when i turn the high beams on and my fogs stay on so i have 6 beams facing forward for when i really need it. I have noticed that my passenger light the high beam reflector and the low beam projector look to have shifted to the side a little bit throwing the beam off. (suspect the screws have broken or become loose). One day i'll have to open them up and look at them but if i do that i might as well retrofit them.
Careful with that. Some states have a maximum of 4 forward facing lights. Knowing how the cops treat me around here, i would definitely get a ticket for it....

50w is still fine for the human eyes to adjust quickly to the darkness, its when you go beyond that when you start to be pretty much blind to the dark areas surrounding. I can still see completely fine above the cutoff even on a road that has no lights on a clear night with no moon. This is exactly why you can adjust the inside lighting of the dash and other light up parts in the car. Sometimes on very dark roads, you are better off to dim the lights a little so you can see better on the outside.

So people dont have to go digging around too much, 50w wont work in the mini projectors. Well, it will but not for longer than a year. Member of HIDPlanet had 50w in his and the chrome on the inside started bubbling and flaking. They're a small projector with little room for the heat to go.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Points 7,510, Level 57
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by FecalRocket View Post
Careful with that. Some states have a maximum of 4 forward facing lights. Knowing how the cops treat me around here, i would definitely get a ticket for it....

50w is still fine for the human eyes to adjust quickly to the darkness, its when you go beyond that when you start to be pretty much blind to the dark areas surrounding. I can still see completely fine above the cutoff even on a road that has no lights on a clear night with no moon. This is exactly why you can adjust the inside lighting of the dash and other light up parts in the car. Sometimes on very dark roads, you are better off to dim the lights a little so you can see better on the outside.

So people dont have to go digging around too much, 50w wont work in the mini projectors. Well, it will but not for longer than a year. Member of HIDPlanet had 50w in his and the chrome on the inside started bubbling and flaking. They're a small projector with little room for the heat to go.
Yes, what i did with my headlights isnt fully technically legal in that i can have fogs, bi-xenons and high beams all going at the same time. Technically, local law says no more than 4 lights at a time. I doubt ill ever get nailed for it though as i rarely ever use my high-beams, and in the times i do, nobody is around to see it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #26
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85098
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 austinpetemo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for all the help guys, and ya whenever I tell people my story it gets some laugh, I myself laugh at it even though when it happened I about crapped my pants.

Anyways, as a broke college student Im gonna have to scrounge up the cash to do this retrofit, Ive got about $80 right now, but after i sell some crap that is lying around i should have a couple hundred.

If anyone is interested in a 6string proffesional grade bass guitar, a 5 stage RO/DI purifier, or a dual 65w aquarium lighting fixure with moonlights let me know, cuz these are funding my focus mods.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Not sure which of these lights to use, i really like yours, but there is another pair that are cool. Are the turn signals good on your setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-HALO-PRO...item20be4874aa

These ones have 2 lights on the sides, a turn signal and a driving light, i would convert that into 2 turn signals if i get it. Opinions?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Points 7,510, Level 57
Level Up 80% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpetemo View Post
Not sure which of these lights to use, i really like yours, but there is another pair that are cool. Are the turn signals good on your setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-HALO-PRO...item20be4874aa

These ones have 2 lights on the sides, a turn signal and a driving light, i would convert that into 2 turn signals if i get it. Opinions?
I actually had that set before i bought these, they are in my little picture under my name, you cant tell though because i blacked them out. Those didnt fit right, the halos and stuff all burned out after a few weeks, and after a year, the lenses were hazed and cracking on the inside and out.

The ones i have now still look brand new, everything works, and though the fitment isnt quite OEM, its alot better than those that you just posted. Also, coming from the "I owned them once" standpoint, i can say that those look and are rice, these have a much more sophisticated look to them.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #29
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. On your lights, there are a couple different brands, some are 150, some are 200, some are more. They all look the same though, are they all the same or is one better than another?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Points 7,115, Level 55
Points: 7,115, Level: 55 Points: 7,115, Level: 55 Points: 7,115, Level: 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 97%
Activity: 97% Activity: 97% Activity: 97%
FF Reputation: 10 Blue5ive Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpetemo View Post
Thanks for the input. On your lights, there are a couple different brands, some are 150, some are 200, some are more. They all look the same though, are they all the same or is one better than another?
I've seen the lights Viper has range in price from $135-$300 for the exact same light. Some places get better wholesale pricing than others and some places are just trying to take advantage of people.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.