Making the best headlights attempt #2 - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,515, Level 57
Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i used the morimoto mini d2s, but i reccomend using the H1, as they arent as bulky at the rear. Makes fitment easier.

I will say it wasnt an easy job, getting the bulbs aligned while keeping them in the right place in the housing takes quite a bit of work, and i worked from about 8-2 one night adjusting, reassembling, testing, popping apart, adjusting, reassembling, etc. until i got it right.

Even now, the lights arent perfectly aligned, but i cant expect OEM finish on an ebay headlamp, so im content with the results. A few of the socal guys i met at the drag-strip today will tell you though, they are great output.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
dmoney52806
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68719
What I Drive: 09 graphite WRX stg 2

FF Reputation: 1 dmoney52806 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
you make the original selling picture look like ass, nice!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Points 7,152, Level 56
Points: 7,152, Level: 56 Points: 7,152, Level: 56 Points: 7,152, Level: 56
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 96%
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%
FF Reputation: 10 Blue5ive Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
So these are the 35 watt stage 3 kits with no shrouds.? Definitely more pics as you do the next one. What temp did you bake these lights? Still think it's funny the hid kit is about twice the $$ as the housings(if I was looking at right kit$265). But it gives you a nice black housing with great light output. Will be traveling down this path myself soon. Again nice job!
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 08-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Points 7,515, Level 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKonaZX3 View Post
So these are the 35 watt stage 3 kits with no shrouds.? Definitely more pics as you do the next one. What temp did you bake these lights? Still think it's funny the hid kit is about twice the $$ as the housings(if I was looking at right kit$265). But it gives you a nice black housing with great light output. Will be traveling down this path myself soon. Again nice job!
I turned the oven to 400 degrees and set them in there for about a minute with the door open. The glue on these isnt as bad as the OEM headlights, so it was alot easier to get open.

The projectors are the morimoto mini D2S projectors which are small enough to fit. They came with shrouds, but the setup i have doesnt require the shrouds to be installed, so i have them sitting here at my desk.

The total cost of doing this is right about at $350. For that price, you can get a decent set of Machs, but i wanted to be different and what i ended up with has much better output, and IMO looks a little meaner.

I didnt get pictures of the other housing, as i put it together the next day. But i can say that it wasnt too bad. The only trouble is the balancing act of getting the projectors to fit in the housings, while maintaining the aim.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Points 7,515, Level 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
bumping thread with relevant info:

Here's a comparison of the output. I went to a family's avocado ranch out here in CA, and waited for it to get hella dark, then snapped some pics of the difference in output. My camera isnt the best, and it isnt quite as adept at night pictures as id like, but once you see the contrast, well.. you will understand.

Halogen Projectors (these are as powerful as the stock halogens that came with the headlights but are not as omnidirectional, either way, you can see the output isnt great. These are full beams, so no cutoff plates.

This is low-beams on the bi-xenons:

And this is high-beams:

Again, my cellphone isnt a pro-grade camera, and obviously the halogens arent as bad as they look, but i can say that the bi-xenons are even brighter than they appear as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #16
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85098
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 austinpetemo Good Standing Member
When you removed the stock projector, did it also remove the CCFL halo? and when you bought the new projectors did you get the one with the halo option? And do you know if the 50w would be do-able the way you did it or would it be different?

sorry for all the questions, Im a total noob at car lighting.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Points 7,515, Level 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
The halos are part of the actual bezel, and are not removable without serious custom fabrication. All i did was pop open the lights. Take out the projectors, some minor trimming, and put in the new bixenon projectors in place. Then, i took off the old reflector high beam bits, and put the other projectors in there after removing the cutoff plate.

What i did is completely doable with a 50w setup, though im not sure its necessary, my 35w system produces more light than 6 cars combined on high beams.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #18
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85098
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 austinpetemo Good Standing Member
I'm only interested in the 50w lights due to a paranoia of mine, a story that's rather funny, but scared the crap out of me. While driving at night I hit a dead cow. I was on a 4 lane road at night and my stock headlights failed to show me this oversized speed bump. Didn't see what was on the road til I was darn near on top of it. Didn't have enough time to react before I hit it goin 70mph. Sent my poor little focus a foot or two in the air. The car jolted hard and all the stuff I had (I was on a long trip) was scattered about the cabin. I thought I had totaled my car, but the only sign anything had happened was blood and a chunk of meat hanging off the rear suspension area. I consider myself lucky, and in dire need of better headlights.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 80951
What I Drive: 2011 SE

FF Reputation: 8 2011 SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpetemo View Post
I'm only interested in the 50w lights due to a paranoia of mine, a story that's rather funny, but scared the crap out of me. While driving at night I hit a dead cow. I was on a 4 lane road at night and my stock headlights failed to show me this oversized speed bump. Didn't see what was on the road til I was darn near on top of it. Didn't have enough time to react before I hit it goin 70mph. Sent my poor little focus a foot or two in the air. The car jolted hard and all the stuff I had (I was on a long trip) was scattered about the cabin. I thought I had totaled my car, but the only sign anything had happened was blood and a chunk of meat hanging off the rear suspension area. I consider myself lucky, and in dire need of better headlights.
WTF that's hilarious, unfortunate, and absolutely the strangest story I've heard in a while.
Autobots decal over Ford emblems
Flat black TFB Designs hood stripes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #20
Now534
Focus Addict

Fan#: 76549
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

Points 1,742, Level 24
Points: 1,742, Level: 24 Points: 1,742, Level: 24 Points: 1,742, Level: 24
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 Now534 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I've got the same housings and seeing this makes me want to retrofit. The lenses on my projectors now look like they have scratches on them which disappoints me and the light output is not the greatest at all. Though i modded mine to leave the low beam on when i turn the high beams on and my fogs stay on so i have 6 beams facing forward for when i really need it. I have noticed that my passenger light the high beam reflector and the low beam projector look to have shifted to the side a little bit throwing the beam off. (suspect the screws have broken or become loose). One day i'll have to open them up and look at them but if i do that i might as well retrofit them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.