What's new in 2015? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
jeff_nc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106534
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue titanium

Points 701, Level 14
Points: 701, Level: 14 Points: 701, Level: 14 Points: 701, Level: 14
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jeff_nc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What's new in 2015?

Sorry if this has been discussed already. Just wondering if there is any reason to trade in my 2013 for a 2015. Mine still runs great, but I would love to see improvements in the software - Sync, Nav, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,716, Level 71
Points: 11,716, Level: 71 Points: 11,716, Level: 71 Points: 11,716, Level: 71
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Enhanced SYNC AppLink
Focus drivers will have access to powerful new capabilities thanks to a host of functions developers can integrate as they modify their apps to communicate with enhanced SYNC® AppLink™.

Android and iOS smartphone users can download more than 60 AppLink-enabled apps from the Apple App Store and Android market.

New functions include:

Connected apps can access a variety of real-time vehicle data such as speed, acceleration, odometer and location information that can be used by the app to further customize and personalize the owner experience. For example, access to the in-vehicle GPS signal can enable more precise and accurate location-based services than phone sensors
More consistent user experience thanks to voice pass-through capability. This enables developers to use on-device or cloud-based voice-recognition systems to evaluate driver commands, meaning drivers can use the same set of voice commands to control an app when connected to the vehicle as they would use when not connected
Notifications read aloud as a driver enters the car, with no need to touch the phone. Best of all, alerts are available any time a mobile device is connected to SYNC AppLink, even if the app is not currently active. This means a driver could get an alert about a traffic jam ahead while listening to the radio or using another app.

Advanced technologies
A package of sensors - driver-assist technologies
standard rear view camera on either a 4.2-inch screen or the 8-inch screen
Blind Spot Information System
Lane-keeping system
BLIS® uses two advanced multiple-beam radar modules, the same used with cross-traffic alert, which are packaged in both rear quarter panels. The radar identifies when a vehicle enters the defined blind spot zone and illuminates an indicator light on the corresponding sideview mirror, providing a warning that a vehicle is approaching.

The new Focus benefits from advancements in suspension and chassis upgrades.
These include a new shock absorber valve design providing improved interior quietness, and a change to the rear suspension to give drivers a more connected feel to the road. The electric power-assisted steering has been retuned to make the driver feel even more connected to the road.
New seat trims and switches, and an available heated steering wheel. A new center console incorporating adjustable cupholders improves storage capacity.
Signature LED lighting for headlamps and taillamps.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
1fastang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110597
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 227, Level 4
Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 1fastang Good Standing Member
That's a very good list that I hadn't seen before. I did talk to a Ford rep and the info is here in another thread. Along with a couple pics of the 2015 ST
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468969

Last edited by 1fastang; 09-14-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
TooOld
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

Points 1,701, Level 24
Points: 1,701, Level: 24 Points: 1,701, Level: 24 Points: 1,701, Level: 24
Level Up 1% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 4 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
The new Focus benefits from advancements in suspension and chassis upgrades.
These include a new shock absorber valve design providing improved interior quietness, and a change to the rear suspension to give drivers a more connected feel to the road...
Does this mean stiffer suspension at all 4 corners?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,716, Level 71
Points: 11,716, Level: 71 Points: 11,716, Level: 71 Points: 11,716, Level: 71
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
Does this mean stiffer suspension at all 4 corners?
Ford engineers have improved the front end structural stiffness of the new Focus by increasing the thickness of two brackets within the engine bay and using a stronger metal arc welding technique to reduce body flex during cornering, delivering sharper responses and greater agility.
New Multi-Tune Valve Damper technology offers improved shock absorber
performance and durability, as well as enabling engineers to deliver the optimum balance between body control and driver comfort.
In addition, the suspension geometry on the new Focus has been fine-tuned and the rubber lower control arm suspension bushes have been increased in stiffness by over 20 per cent.
This reduces the amount of flexibility between the metal mounting surfaces during high-load conditions – such as when cornering – and minimises unwanted wheel movement. The front bushes also now feature flared edges that clamp over the suspension hub and chassis mounting points, further reducing movement of the connected components.
The statement which I highlighted Bold area has been noticed by all reviewers, so the engineers seemed to have accomplished their goal.

One reviewer who test drove the new Focus back to back with the current Focus, said the new car is a tad more fun, but the differences between the two are small. Less body roll has been mentioned by a couple reviewers.

The retuned EPAS (electric steering) have been mentioned as the biggest improvement by all the reviewers I have read so far.
Engineers have retuned the EPAS system to reduce the amount of effort required to steer, eliminate neutral zones from the steering operation, and deliver almost instantaneous feedback from the road surface to enable more instinctive steering.

There is also a new feature added called Enhanced Transitional Stability (ETS)

All reviews so far all state that the Focus is still the best driver in the class.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
TMLTITAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 164426
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby red Focus Titanium

Points 675, Level 13
Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 TMLTITAN Good Standing Member
All that is well and good. The new focus no longer looks sporty. This consumer says sorry Ford I will not be trading for this model design. Too bad I like my focus but this one is unfocused.

Last edited by TMLTITAN; 09-15-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Really bad grammar...lol
Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
TooOld
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

Points 1,701, Level 24
Points: 1,701, Level: 24 Points: 1,701, Level: 24 Points: 1,701, Level: 24
Level Up 1% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 4 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Ford engineers have improved the front end structural stiffness of the new Focus by increasing the thickness of two brackets within the engine bay and using a stronger metal arc welding technique to reduce body flex during cornering, delivering sharper responses and greater agility.
New Multi-Tune Valve Damper technology offers improved shock absorber
performance and durability, as well as enabling engineers to deliver the optimum balance between body control and driver comfort.
In addition, the suspension geometry on the new Focus has been fine-tuned and the rubber lower control arm suspension bushes have been increased in stiffness by over 20 per cent.
This reduces the amount of flexibility between the metal mounting surfaces during high-load conditions – such as when cornering – and minimises unwanted wheel movement. The front bushes also now feature flared edges that clamp over the suspension hub and chassis mounting points, further reducing movement of the connected components.
The statement which I highlighted Bold area has been noticed by all reviewers, so the engineers seemed to have accomplished their goal.

One reviewer who test drove the new Focus back to back with the current Focus, said the new car is a tad more fun, but the differences between the two are small. Less body roll has been mentioned by a couple reviewers.

The retuned EPAS (electric steering) have been mentioned as the biggest improvement by all the reviewers I have read so far.
Engineers have retuned the EPAS system to reduce the amount of effort required to steer, eliminate neutral zones from the steering operation, and deliver almost instantaneous feedback from the road surface to enable more instinctive steering.

There is also a new feature added called Enhanced Transitional Stability (ETS)

All reviews so far all state that the Focus is still the best driver in the class.
Thanks for the details. Sounds like incremental updates, but nevertheless, updates with value (opinions will vary of course).
Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
fenway1912
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116879
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE

Points 10,280, Level 67
Points: 10,280, Level: 67 Points: 10,280, Level: 67 Points: 10,280, Level: 67
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 2 fenway1912 Good Standing Member
I can't wait to see the USA build sheet. I like the look outside and inside but am hoping that HID headlights can be ordered as factory option. Otherwise I'll be keeping my SE
Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #9
rebelx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120081
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE w/Sport Package

Points 1,226, Level 19
Points: 1,226, Level: 19 Points: 1,226, Level: 19 Points: 1,226, Level: 19
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 rebelx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLTITAN View Post
All that is well and good. The new focus no longer looks sporty. This consumer says sorry Ford I will not be trading for this model design. Too bad I like my focus but this one is unfocused.
To each their own. I prefer the 15 over the 14, for instance. 15 looks more classy, upscale, and powerful.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 AM   #10
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,777, Level 76
Points: 13,777, Level: 76 Points: 13,777, Level: 76 Points: 13,777, Level: 76
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I wonder if some of those things (like the body stiffening) are just being added to the production line as we are typing this.. So some 2014 cars will have them?
Or is Ford usually pretty clean on keeping those small things from model years separate?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.