HOW TO: Retrain your TPMS Sensors (2008-2011) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
iitenaciousg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13119
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 iitenaciousg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Let's say I don't have the TPMS re-learn tool. If I go into "learn mode" and then don't do anything, what will happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 80951
What I Drive: 2011 SE

FF Reputation: 8 2011 SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My guess is that nothing will happen until you turn the car off. The odometer message center will display that you need to use the tool on the driver's side front wheel, but I don't think it will do anything else.

Not 100% sure, though...
Autobots decal over Ford emblems
Flat black TFB Designs hood stripes
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
Stangbanger242
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68740
Location: Bolingbrook (and sometimes Hamilton,ont,Canada), IL
What I Drive: 09 Black SES MTX

FF Reputation: 3 Stangbanger242 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed_2.0 View Post
FYI if you get into an accident and it was cause by your tires and the insurance see your TPMS is faulty for any reason, you will be at fault no matter what. It also may cause you to not be able to get your vehicle fixed
And they can prove this how?
SES#010
HAVE: '09 SES MTX W/ FSWerks CAI, FSW 4-1 header, Crower Stg 1, 1.5" FRPP drop, Massive Toe arms, EBC slotted rotors + green pads.
WANTS: FSW Stealth exhaust, Tune, (possibly) Turbo
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Dedbent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87677
What I Drive: 2011 Ebony SE

FF Reputation: 1 Dedbent Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iitenaciousg View Post
Let's say I don't have the TPMS re-learn tool. If I go into "learn mode" and then don't do anything, what will happen?
I heard somewhere that a strong magnet works if you don't have the tool. I have never tried it out though.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #15
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Yeah, back when I was doing the research for all of this I talked to a few Ford techs and a few from NTB. Only certain types of sensors which use a switch-type reset will be able to use an industrial strength magnet. You can try it, but I have no idea if it will work.

And I took the day off today, so I may try going into relearn mode and not doing anything just to see what happens. I might bring my other wheels nearby to see if it confuses the computer at all. Or if I just annoys the hell out of my neighbors because the horn keeps honking.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #16
iitenaciousg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13119
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 iitenaciousg Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SE View Post
And I took the day off today, so I may try going into relearn mode and not doing anything just to see what happens. I might bring my other wheels nearby to see if it confuses the computer at all. Or if I just annoys the hell out of my neighbors because the horn keeps honking.
So did you annoy the neighbors? haha
Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Whew. Long time no post on this thread. I never ended up going into relearn mode again because get this...I never needed to. For some reason I expected that my car could only be synced to a single set of TPMS sensors, but that's not the case.

When I put my stock wheels back on with the stock sensors, I never got a TPMS fault. In fact, the idiots that mounted the tires before the alignment never filled the tires with air like I asked, so they were all running at about 26 PSI, thus about 10 miles down the road the "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" warning came on. Pretty nifty.

So the lesson learned is that apparently you can have MORE than one set of TPMS sensors synced to your car, and even if it's 6 months later, your car will recognize them without needing to re-sync! Pretty sweet.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
st12131
Focal Distortion

Fan#: 74797
What I Drive: 2007, Huyndai, Santa Fe, GLS

FF Reputation: 8 st12131 Good Standing Member
I was at a dealership the other day and they stated that its a Bluetooth connection!
So much like a cell phone it can be synced to multiple TMPS sensors.
Take it with a grain of salt, but that's what they state.
Focus S #1, Sedan Revolution #192, Rally Revolution #8, March 2012 SOTM
Focal Distortion, a Ford licensed club and FSC member.
Sgt, USMC (1999-2003)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It can't be a bluetooth connection, it doesn't fit within the operating frequency to fit the specification. They are UHF based, as in Ultra High Frequency - the same band as your key-less entry fobs. US TPMS (mostly) uses 315MHz for data transfer.

The simple fact is your car can learn multiple key fobs, just like the TPMS computer - someone put two and two together and assumed it was bluetooth because it acts similar, but is completely different.

Bluetooth uses a radio technology called frequency-hopping spread spectrum, which chops up the data being sent and transmits chunks of it on up to 79 bands (1 MHz each; centered from 2402 to 2480 MHz) in the range 2,400–2,483.5 MHz (allowing for guard bands). This range is in the globally unlicensed Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) 2.4 GHz short-range radio frequency band. It usually performs 800 hops per second, with AFH enabled. [7]
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
2008X2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117523
What I Drive: 2008 one white one blue

FF Reputation: 1 2008X2 Good Standing Member
We recently purchased a used 2008 Focus. While driving down the expressway, the tire pressure monitor fault light came on. We checked the tires. All were ok. After restarting the car, the light wasn't on. Came on again about 200 miles later, (on the expressway) stayed on for about 8 minutes and went off. Now the light comes on more frequently when driving around locally. The dealership put 4 new tires on it before we purchased it. We purchased car from a non ford dealership and have called them regarding this warning light, but are reluctant too look at it. Car has been driven less than one month and we have put on less 600 miles. Any suggestions? I have printed out steps about resetting the warning light. After reading several forums, it appears that when the tires were changed the TPM wasn't reset. Is that correct? Therefore falling under the dealerships responsiblity of the tire warranty we have. Before purchase, the car was inspected and drove but the light didn't come on during that time frame (of course!) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmarks & Social Networks