2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #71
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWinslow View Post
They seem like a ricer intake and much more expensive than the DIY, but I would love to see a review or even pictures of an install. I really cant wait until all of the aftermarket parts start coming out from multiple sources, all of us here are going to benefit from the competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #72
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
Do you happen to have a picture of the intake side of the hose from the top or bottom when it was finished? I'm interested in the spacing with the new intake grill as well as how the scoop works. Thanks
Yes. 5th and 7th pictures put together. ;) Just imagine that chunk cut out of the hose on the 5th pictures and there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWinslow View Post
Yeah. It's been out there.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263864
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #73
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Elizabeth. I'll make you deal. You add my mod, and I'll send you a decal free.

Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #74
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
Yes. 5th and 7th pictures put together. ;) Just imagine that chunk cut out of the hose on the 5th pictures and there you go.

Yeah. It's been out there.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263864
So the scoop is facing up then (longest portion closest to the road)?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #75
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Thanks for the offer of a free decal, but i am an old bag.
Sticking your graphic on my ride would be like putting lipstick on a pig.
Folks would see the car, then the old bag driving.... and puke.

Personally the stock air intake offers a lot of possibilities. The rubber connection from front to air box is pretty constricted, and part of the hose is a noise reduction device.
Getting rid of that part, and just having a nice full width air intake off the stock location might really be a good answer.
The stock seems to be coming from the front grill slot to the drivers' side of the Ford emblem, lower half of the chrome grill divider.
I would have to get a better look at the combo of inlet and rubber connector hose.
That entrance seems like it could easily be doubled in size. As the hose is the big restriction as designed. (look at he restricted area in it. and the added dead end cone..)
And it might offer some cool sound to get rid of the funny extra dead end part of the inlet (obviously added to cut noise from the intake)
The positive to your intake addition is that it is hidden. A mod of the stock intake is very visible.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #76
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
So the scoop is facing up then (longest portion closest to the road)?
No no. I am holding the hose at the angle it would be as installed in the 7th picture. So that would be longest portion extending to driver side fender. Just imagine the 5th picture with a chunk cut out to expose more of the inside of the hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Thanks for the offer of a free decal, but i am an old bag.
Sticking your graphic on my ride would be like putting lipstick on a pig.
Folks would see the car, then the old bag driving.... and puke.

Personally the stock air intake offers a lot of possibilities. The rubber connection from front to air box is pretty constricted, and part of the hose is a noise reduction device.
Getting rid of that part, and just having a nice full width air intake off the stock location might really be a good answer.
The stock seems to be coming from the front grill slot to the drivers' side of the Ford emblem, lower half of the chrome grill divider.
I would have to get a better look at the combo of inlet and rubber connector hose.
That entrance seems like it could easily be doubled in size. As the hose is the big restriction as designed. (look at he restricted area in it. and the added dead end cone..)
And it might offer some cool sound to get rid of the funny extra dead end part of the inlet (obviously added to cut noise from the intake)
The positive to your intake addition is that it is hidden. A mod of the stock intake is very visible.
Now you're being hard on yourself. A grandma rocking a hot rod is cool.

As for the resonator found bolted to the body on the underside of the air box does make great induction noise when removed. There has been a few threads of people removing it, and there is also a youtube video of the audio. From personal experience, removing it completely and leaving the open air hole becomes very loud! But does sound very good!

Some have cut the entire top out, but that poses obvious heat issues as heat rises. No one I have seen other than me, has cut the bottom of the box out. Even leaving the bottom open would help.

And you're right about the intake opening being found around the Ford emblem. To be more specific, it's right next to the PASSENGER side headlight. And yes, is VERY small!!! lol

Good luck on your endeavors. I look forward to seeing what that head of yours has for us in an intake mod.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #77
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks newmission! I ordered the hose yesterday and it should be here Wednesday, hopefully I can get it all done on Saturday and have fun Sunday testing it out and getting test data. I went to go order the pre-filter as I too think its a prudent safety/cleanliness purchase but the bums at Outerwears haven't put it on their site yet! Outerwears - you have a market, the specs, and at least one successful example, MOVE!! I might have to go through that contact of yours.

For testing I have a good 2 mile-ish stretch of perfect 65mph (*ehem* 74mph) highway near me that I would love to test it on as I follow this road for 35 miles of my 60 mile commute. As far as the procedure I will take the car out and reset the mileage after I am up to speed and see what the MPG is at the end of the road section. It is pretty flat with almost no curves so it should work well to remove variables. Then I will do another test with sport mode WOT acceleration. It will start as above but after the MPG resets and stabilizes (takes about a mile in my experience) I will downshift into Sport and let the car slow as much as it can on an engine brake before manually braking. From here, WOT until 75 and then off the gas. Once I am coasting again (RPMs stabilize) I will take another reading.

I will have a full tank for both runs and will not be using climate control or the radio. Also, all cargo except my emergency kit and glove box essentials will be removed. Lastly the time of day will be the same and the outside temperature will be documented. I will try to document as many subjective differences as I can, but those will, of course, be only for entertainment.

I have to ask though, if you where to do it again, what would you change as far as the overall mod and install process?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #78
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
...the bums at Outerwears haven't put it on their site yet!...

...I have to ask though, if you where to do it again, what would you change as far as the overall mod and install process?
AWESOME! You WILL be pleased I have no doubt. But no bums at Outerwears. They are great down to earth people to work with. There's really only a hand full of cars that our K&N filter goes on, so I don't think they will be adding it to the site any time soon. As a result, for now it is a custom order. I ordered two since the custom charge is one time flat rate.

If I had it to do again....
I would add more holes to the grille insert. Other than that. I do plan on playing with a cone of some kind to better take advantage of every bit of air. I was at the dealer taking a look under the hood of a 2011 Cobra's ram air for ideas. And beside the cone it had on the grille, our mod has more air induction easy!

I have yet to get a temp reading. But I have removed and inspected the hose and filter after a good highway drive during a down pore. ZERO water in the tube, or on the filter. However the box was filled with bugs and tiny particles caught by the pre-filter. If you do this mod, I recommend making a note to blow out the air box after every oil change.

I look forward to your testing numbers. Just be sure to give the computer time to adjust to the new air supply. Unplug the battery when you do the mod, and run a couple tanks of gas. Then do your after mod testing.

enjoy! :)
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #79
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

I'll definitely disconnect the battery, and your point about giving it a bit to adjust is prudent so I'll change my plan a little. I'll add the 2/3 tank after results to the test, but I would still like to see if their is an immediate appreciable gain in either power or MPG not having the engine suck through the straw that is the stock intake.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #80
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll definitely disconnect the battery, and your point about giving it a bit to adjust is prudent so I'll change my plan a little. I'll add the 2/3 tank after results to the test, but I would still like to see if their is an immediate appreciable gain in either power or MPG not having the engine suck through the straw that is the stock intake.
Fair enough. :)

Do note the idle before and after. It will remain around 650 either way, but vibration will be almost unnoticeable. That was one of the biggest noticeable differences I found. I think the engine smiled.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->