2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #61
DaeGoesFast
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89413
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Celica

FF Reputation: 1 DaeGoesFast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking at the pictures, I can't tell if the mod introduces the air before or after the MAF sensor. If before, I'd say your fine since the computer should still know exactly how much air is going to the engine. However, if the mod introduces air after the MAF sensor, then your air flow past the sensor should decrease, and may cause the computer to spray less fuel into each cylinder charge, which would explain the significant MPG increase. This may not be a big deal (my car has had the CEL on for years due to a lean fuel code), but I've heard that lean fuel mixtures can be harmful at higher RPMs, due to the hotter combustion of a lean mixture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 AM   #62
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeGoesFast View Post
Looking at the pictures, I can't tell if the mod introduces the air before or after the MAF sensor. If before, I'd say your fine since the computer should still know exactly how much air is going to the engine. However, if the mod introduces air after the MAF sensor, then your air flow past the sensor should decrease, and may cause the computer to spray less fuel into each cylinder charge, which would explain the significant MPG increase. This may not be a big deal (my car has had the CEL on for years due to a lean fuel code), but I've heard that lean fuel mixtures can be harmful at higher RPMs, due to the hotter combustion of a lean mixture.
The factory air box is before the MAF. The pictures show a 3 inch hole being drilled into the factory air box. You're good.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #63
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
The factory air box is before the MAF. The pictures show a 3 inch hole being drilled into the factory air box. You're good.
Agree. the MAF is always after the air filter...and before the throttle body...
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #64
DaeGoesFast
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89413
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Celica

FF Reputation: 1 DaeGoesFast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Agree. the MAF is always after the air filter...and before the throttle body...
Ok I didn't know it is that way on all cars, but now that I think about it, it does make the most sense for accuracy's sake. If the computer isn't leaning out the mixture, then I'm skeptical about the 4-5 mpg increase. Is the factory airbox really that restrictive!? If that's the case, I expect Ford would have sacrificed a little in the noise department to get those extra mpg to reach the coveted 40 mark, maybe even pass it up to beat out the Elantra.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #65
28HopUp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85449
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 3 28HopUp Good Standing Member
Nice job on your custom cold air intake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
Well alright! MY MAN! You will be pleased with the bonus 4-5mpg (true story), and $200 bucks in your pocket savings over a CAI.
I do have a question about your increase in mileage. How many miles were on the car when you modified it? The gas mileage on a new car will naturally increase as the motor gets broken in. I'm curious to learn if some of your increase could be attributed to the motor "finding its grove". Perhaps the K&N filter also contributed to the increase MPG's?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #66
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
I do have a question about your increase in mileage. How many miles were on the car when you modified it? The gas mileage on a new car will naturally increase as the motor gets broken in. I'm curious to learn if some of your increase could be attributed to the motor "finding its grove". Perhaps the K&N filter also contributed to the increase MPG's?

About 5k miles. My mileage on my MTX wouldn't go above 28.5 of "comfortable" driving. This seems to be the norm in the "post your mpg" thread. Sure the K&N filter will make a bit of a difference. But you're still sucking through small tube that runs along the front of the radiator. When breaking in the car, the mpg reading would change very slow throughout the life of a tank. After the mod, it's almost instant mpg readout. I can very the mpg reading in the span of a couple miles. If following the low shift intervals, I have seen 38.8 regularly. All I know is I have no interest, nor reason to invest in another "manufactured CAI". This will be on the vehicle for as long as I own it.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #67
28HopUp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85449
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 3 28HopUp Good Standing Member
Thanks for the reply. I was just trying to determine if other factors were in-play as part of the increase in your MPG's.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #68
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Do you happen to have a picture of the intake side of the hose from the top or bottom when it was finished? I'm interested in the spacing with the new intake grill as well as how the scoop works. Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #69
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I added the K&N airfilter to my Focus yesterday morning.
i would say it gave a 1mpg increase in the readings from the mileage panel readings.
So I was impressed.
Then, looking at the stock air intake to the air filter box, it is an odd contraption, with a blind second end (for noise reduction, I had the same on my Mystique, it cancels the intake noise, and does nothing for performance)
I am wanting to let in more air too. A different intake lip from the stock air in at the front may be just as valuable. The air is coming in from next to the Ford front emblem, lower half. The stock intake part is pretty restricted, and actually narrows down, next to the blind ended taper.
And yeah, it makes a big differnce at low RPM if the intake has some restrictions, the engine just does not produce much vacuum to get the air flowing at low RPM. So less restriction means more air coming in, and more power made. The engine meters out the fuel totally based on the amount of air getting in.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #70
EddieWinslow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86598
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 EddieWinslow Good Standing Member
http://www.carid.com/2012-ford-focus...ke-285269.html

anyone see these yet?

Bookmarks & Social Networks