2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #41
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
lol You have a very broken way of expressing your thoughts there Elizabeth. lol

I have very real proof that this intake is not "negative" by the rather large amount of bugs that gather in my pleats, air box, and on the front of the vehicle for that matter. This is the reason for the Outerwears pre-filter, of which FSWerks is now providing on their website. You're welcome FSWerks.

Any more questions? Physics class dismissed. lol
Bugs in the pleats is physics.. interesting.
The fact your engine will RUN proves it is actually getting some air. The bugs mean nothing else either.
The bugs neither prove, nor disprove anything except air, (and bugs) are getting to your air filter.
And skip the BS about physics, since your knowledge is not exactly showing a PhD there either.
You seem to want to sell this? so you seem to have to justify it.
Well nothing you have done proves it is any better or worse than stock. Your opinion is no more valid than mine. You wanting it to be better since you actually did the work is evident. The proof is what's missing.
I never said it sucked, i am just pointing out it is no guarantee either.
So be happy, feel free to wander along blissfully refusing to se anything possibly not so great about it.
Not my problem.
As i said, I do not see it as bad, just pointing out it has NO valid proof it helps either. and a 'slight' chance it harms at speed.
Not my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #42
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member

2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE 5spd w/ Sport and Winter pkgs.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #43
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
lol!
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #44
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Chill out guys you are both technically right. Touching on Physics, Air is a Fluid. So in that light, it will act as such. It is true that given the angle of the side louves on the front bumper, some air will be channeled away from that area. However, some air will indeed be thrust into that open cavity since air always takes advantage of the path of least resistance. So in conclusion, some air will travel around and over the louves down the side of the car due to pressure build up when the throttle is closed, and some air will go directly into the louves (when it has the black plastic cover off exposing it ofcourse) due to the vaccume of the engine. Did you guys understand anything I just said!?!?!?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #45
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

As long as we all understand no such thing as suction. the air is only pushed by the pressure from behind. Suction is just an invented term to say you made some area of less pressure in front of the point measured. so some of the air on the other side of that point is going to move to the area of lower pressure...

Old 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #46
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
As long as we all understand no such thing as suction. the air is only pushed by the pressure from behind. Suction is just an invented term to say you made some area of less pressure in front of the point measured. so some of the air on the other side of that point is going to move to the area of lower pressure...

My vacuum cleaner sucks. So does the intake on my car. I don't understand why you're trying to infer that something mysterious is going on. I get the whole less pressure thing, but seriously. An engine is basically a sucking machine. The pistons pull air into the engine at a certain rate depending on the position of the accelerator and at the same time it forces it out the other side to make room for more.

Tony
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #47
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

Are you kidding? No such thing as suction. What do you think happens in a straw? How do you think a vacuum works? How to race cars draft? How the heck would a dialysis machine work, we use "suction" in some form every day.

I cannot really believe anyone would make such a statement, over such a common principal.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #48
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
My vacuum cleaner sucks. So does the intake on my car. I don't understand why you're trying to infer that something mysterious is going on. I get the whole less pressure thing, but seriously. An engine is basically a sucking machine. The pistons pull air into the engine at a certain rate depending on the position of the accelerator and at the same time it forces it out the other side to make room for more.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by e350 coupe View Post
Are you kidding? No such thing as suction. What do you think happens in a straw? How do you think a vacuum works? How to race cars draft? How the heck would a dialysis machine work, we use "suction" in some form every day.

I cannot really believe anyone would make such a statement, over such a common principal.
Thank you. and Thank you!

It's like arguing with a senile 70 year old that thinks just because they have years they have wisdom. lol Just sayin. lol

But seriously, this thing has blown WAY out of proportion!!!! There's nothing new here. It is what it is. My gas gauge say it's working just fine. And I'm quite happy with the hundreds I saved on an aftermarket CAI. So there you have it. Take it or leave it.

Elizabeth, if you want a real professional ram air, follow this: http://youtu.be/YACaKYPlJ28

**MODS** When this thing is over with, can you PLEASE clean up my thread? Including this comment. Thanks!
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #49
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I am glad it is working for you. I especially like the fact of the significant increase in your gas mileage. I was thinking of also doing this but prior to drilling the plate I would mark off where the bars on the unit hide the plate to avoid drilling in this area, as it provides no benifit.

I was also considering using 2-1/2" or 3" muffler parts which come in various section such as 90's 45's etc. this way I could piece the sections together then big weld them off site.

I am still wondering on how to deal with heat, and with the tube out, I could wrap it with exhaust tape. I would use an enlarged pipe opening at the front and where it attaches to the bottom of the air assembly.

I installed a K&N filter but had the update done to engine/transmission the next day (calibration update) which appears to have dropped my overall mileage, so I have no way of knowing if the filter actually works.

All in all this thread got people thinking, and got myself and other on doing their own intake mod.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #50
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Wiki sez:
""Suction is the flow of a fluid into a partial vacuum, or region of low pressure. The pressure gradient between this region and the ambient pressure will propel matter toward the low pressure area. Suction is popularly thought of as an attractive effect, which is incorrect since vacuums do not innately attract matter. Dust being "sucked" into a vacuum cleaner is actually being pushed in by the higher pressure air on the outside of the cleaner.

The higher pressure of the surrounding fluid can push matter into a vacuum but a vacuum cannot attract matter""

it ain't rocket science. And yeah cut any and all non fanboy postings. Reads way better and keeps the fanboys from whimpering..

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->