2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 29 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #281
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just ordered all the necessary parts for this mod...I plan to attempt a fiberglass scoop to fill the entire space in that lower grill area.

However, How do I remove the front portion of the cover under the car? Do I need to remove the felt portion under the engine too or can I leave that on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #282
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
It is probably easier for you to just pull the triangl out than to try and work from under the car. You have to slide something in between the triangle and the bumper cover to get the tabs to release, then it just pops right out. I just pushed out the block plate and then forced the triangle out, but I probably got lucky that I didn't break any of the tab holders.

Do you just plan on doing a wet lay-up or are you going to bag it? I made mine in a hurry and jisy did a lay-up, but bagging it would have finished it off better.

You will be exhaust limited after doing this. I did the dyno runs on it this weekend and couldn't pull much more power out of it in comparison to the snorkel delete. Not a bad thing, it just means that we are sitting on the same power as the name brand CAI's

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #283
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
It is probably easier for you to just pull the triangl out than to try and work from under the car. You have to slide something in between the triangle and the bumper cover to get the tabs to release, then it just pops right out. I just pushed out the block plate and then forced the triangle out, but I probably got lucky that I didn't break any of the tab holders.

Do you just plan on doing a wet lay-up or are you going to bag it? I made mine in a hurry and jisy did a lay-up, but bagging it would have finished it off better.

You will be exhaust limited after doing this. I did the dyno runs on it this weekend and couldn't pull much more power out of it in comparison to the snorkel delete. Not a bad thing, it just means that we are sitting on the same power as the name brand CAI's
I really think I will have to work from under the car. I never used fiberglass before so I do not know what you mean by wet lay up or bagging it. What I plan to do is make a cardboard mockup of the scoop, line it with wax paper, and then apply the fiber glass using this kit: http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Eve...fiberglass+kit

Do you know how to remove that cover from under the car? I rather go through that effort (and think I will have to in order to mount it the way I want) rather than mess with the triangle.

From the few videos posted here I like the sound more than the aftermarket CAIs available. I was contemplating an exhaust but looking at my options they are pretty expensive. I may just go the cheap route and get a nice sounding muffler instead of an entire system.

I have been watching a lot of fiberglass DIY videos and I am confused about how many layers I should apply. Suggestions?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #284
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
The difference between a wet lay up and bagging it is that when you bag it you apply a constant suction to plastic surrounding the glass/part. This helps to ensure a tight bond and proper penetration of the glass by the resin.

For taking off the bottom, there are some of the push pins and I believe a couple torx bit screws. Should be pretty easy.

If there is enough material, 3 layers is typically prefered. The first layer, one laid 90 to it,.and then one final laid at 45. In this type of component I wouldn't be overly concerned. I did a wet lay up with two layers, one at 45.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #285
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
The difference between a wet lay up and bagging it is that when you bag it you apply a constant suction to plastic surrounding the glass/part. This helps to ensure a tight bond and proper penetration of the glass by the resin.

For taking off the bottom, there are some of the push pins and I believe a couple torx bit screws. Should be pretty easy.

If there is enough material, 3 layers is typically prefered. The first layer, one laid 90 to it,.and then one final laid at 45. In this type of component I wouldn't be overly concerned. I did a wet lay up with two layers, one at 45.
Thanks.

This project of mine is going to be delayed a bit...I want to do it after I get my steering rack replaced...and I spoke to the dealer today who said it may take another 3 weeks to come in. Until then I am amassing the parts/tools to do this.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #286
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Good job.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #287
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Does anyone know about these CAI units:FOCUS 12-12nSecret Weapon Intake System - 4Cyl 2.0L? I have never heard of Secret Weapon.

Last edited by dbsimms63; 03-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #288
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
From my experience CAI and CATback exhaust doesn't void warranty, I've done this on my past 2 cars with no problems from dealers. As long as the correct sensors are in place you should be find. Great build, change the rubber hose to a bend aluminum pipe and you'll be golden!
Would PVC be better than aluminum? No heat soak.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #289
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
During some R&D today, the intake air temp balanced out at 2.5 degrees above ambient. Not bad, but I'd like to try for better at lower speeds.

So I picked up a 94 cents funnel and slapper her on. Have yet to do a run. But we'll see. Also adding more holes to the grille insert.

After reading about this mod, this was exactly what I was considering, siliconing a funnel to the end of the radiator hose and drilling one big hole, like the one in the bottom of the air box, behind the triangle. What do you think?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #290
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRyan View Post

That's the way to go. I'm in Carrollton, do you ever get up this way Chris? Maybe you could shoot me your blue prints for the scoop, I definitely want to go this route. Barely noticeable painted black on the inside.

Bookmarks & Social Networks