2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 21 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #201
nickvisel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86872
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus SE 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 nickvisel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
newmission (and others), I would like to thank you for sucking up (or is that RAMming) an hour of my time reading and getting educated on this mod. Looks interesting, pretty DIY, though I may need to borrow somebody's drill or two. I'm curious if this would improve on Steeda's CAI (which you seem averse to the idea, though an unsponsored dyno sheet[s] would not lie). In any case, spending a hundred bucks and a couple hour's time to save on gasoline bills will pay itself back with these California gas prices real soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #202
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
True story? Where is it pulling from?
Front bumper area, they put the filter roughly where you have your pipe

http://www.aemintakes.com/instructio...1-702_inst.pdf
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #203
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvisel View Post
newmission (and others), I would like to thank you for sucking up (or is that RAMming) an hour of my time reading and getting educated on this mod. Looks interesting, pretty DIY, though I may need to borrow somebody's drill or two. I'm curious if this would improve on Steeda's CAI (which you seem averse to the idea, though an unsponsored dyno sheet[s] would not lie). In any case, spending a hundred bucks and a couple hour's time to save on gasoline bills will pay itself back with these California gas prices real soon.
A dyno won't properly compare the steeda to newmissions design, because the dyno has the hood open so the open design of the steeda could pull air from there and not through the default snorkel so the results could be skewed.

The steeda ram air should work in conjunction, the CAI would require cutting a new hole in the $90 heat shield. Probably would be cheaper to build your own heat shield and use the ram air intake and newmissions pipe
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #204
eng943
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96978
What I Drive: fusion

FF Reputation: 1 eng943 Good Standing Member
I am a little confused as to how flowing more air past the MAF by modifying the airbox, adding a CAI, etc, can improve MPG's.

Logic would say the MAF, sensing more airflow would add more fuel....no?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #205
BooBerry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90175
What I Drive: 2012, Blue Candy, SE

FF Reputation: 2 BooBerry Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
Front bumper area, they put the filter roughly where you have your pipe

http://www.aemintakes.com/instructio...1-702_inst.pdf
Thats more or less what I am trying to do :( but ill drill the holes in the little triangle grill like newmission did.

Gamertag = FailSnail Ink
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #206
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBerry View Post
Thats more or less what I am trying to do :( but ill drill the holes in the little triangle grill like newmission did.
cool, yeah what I want to do is drill a bigger hole in the grill, instead of a lot of little ones, then take aluminum mesh and glue it on the inside to the grill, which will keep out bugs, rocks, some water. Then cut and glue the funnel onto the mesh and seal it with spray on sealant. Then connect the hose to the funnel.

Then on the top side I will install the ram air steeda intake and build my own heat shield out of 4 pieces of sheet aluminum and attach them together with brackets, with two holes drilled in the bottom(one for newmission mod and one for the stock snorkel) Unlike the stock steeda heat shield mine will have a top which should slightly reduce the noise.

Now that is a theoretical design and I probably don't have the shop skills to make it happen.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #207
BooBerry
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
cool, yeah what I want to do is drill a bigger hole in the grill, instead of a lot of little ones, then take aluminum mesh and glue it on the inside to the grill, which will keep out bugs, rocks, some water. Then cut and glue the funnel onto the mesh and seal it with spray on sealant. Then connect the hose to the funnel.

Then on the top side I will install the ram air steeda intake and build my own heat shield out of 4 pieces of sheet aluminum and attach them together with brackets, with two holes drilled in the bottom(one for newmission mod and one for the stock snorkel) Unlike the stock steeda heat shield mine will have a top which should slightly reduce the noise.

Now that is a theoretical design and I probably don't have the shop skills to make it happen.
For the mesh, I am thinking about getting some sink mesh and hot gluing it to the back of the triangle, or I will make a half inch wide cut across each open spot to allow a good amount of air to come into the funnel. I want to add AEM's MAF piping to allow a what seems like would be a smoother chamber for air to come into instead of that bendy hose with the ridges.

Gamertag = FailSnail Ink
Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #208
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Anybody that has done this mod how long is the heater hose? before and after the bend
Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #209
BooBerry
Focus Enthusiast

It seems to be one foot by 1.5 feet.

Gamertag = FailSnail Ink
Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #210
BooBerry
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Anybody that has done this mod how long is the heater hose? before and after the bend
I am working on a custom funnel that will look clean and not need the triangle piece.

Gamertag = FailSnail Ink

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->