2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 20 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #191
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD-Jenk View Post
This is a great thread and I just finished reading the whole thing. I've owned my 2012 Focus SE for a month now and want to try this mod but have a few questions.

1. After the mod, the engine should be sucking air from both the new pipe as well as the stock intake. Obviously the stock intake is smaller, but the 3" ID pipe seems like a bit of overkill. You mention how tight the 3" pipe is to install, do you think a 2.5" pipe would be better and still get similar performance?

2. There are quite a few pics with the drill holes performed on that front plate, but I haven't read much about a black mesh. I think I would prefer a mesh. Anyone have pics or suggestions for purchasing?

3. Along the same thought as before...would a mesh help in preventing the bugs in the air box?

Thank for the great mod idea newmission, I'll update this thread as I progress. Right now I am getting about 31mpg with 1k miles on the engine. I want to get this car @ close to 40mpg for my daily drive.
Hey thanks for the props Brother!

A three inch pipe is pretty much the standard CAI diameter. Will you get similar results with a 2.5"? I'm sure. Is it worth investing in a smaller diameter? Not at all. Bigger the better! Especially since these are just 4 bangger daily drivers. lol

It's getting faint, but I remember a slow increase to the MPG meter after resetting it BEFORE doing this mod. AFTER, there was a quicker increase after resetting. What I am saying is the computer seems to quickly compensate for the better air supply. I can break 45MPG in under 5 miles every time! I believe back when I was doing R&D in the beginning, I noted a 8 MPG increase????? That still seems about right.

As for the hole vs. mesh? Yes mesh would help with bugs, but limit air. Removing the entire air dam of course would be ideal! So it's kinda up to the individual to take this idea as far as they feel comfortable esthetics wise. I for one, do not like the look of the entire air dam remove. And even though this mod is about performance, esthetics has to play a part in the performance compensation for me.

I to would love to see a molded scoop! Heck! If it was made out of fiberglass, I'd even buy one!
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #192
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD-Jenk View Post
This is a great thread and I just finished reading the whole thing. I've owned my 2012 Focus SE for a month now and want to try this mod but have a few questions.

1. After the mod, the engine should be sucking air from both the new pipe as well as the stock intake. Obviously the stock intake is smaller, but the 3" ID pipe seems like a bit of overkill. You mention how tight the 3" pipe is to install, do you think a 2.5" pipe would be better and still get similar performance?

2. There are quite a few pics with the drill holes performed on that front plate, but I haven't read much about a black mesh. I think I would prefer a mesh. Anyone have pics or suggestions for purchasing?

3. Along the same thought as before...would a mesh help in preventing the bugs in the air box?

Thank for the great mod idea newmission, I'll update this thread as I progress. Right now I am getting about 31mpg with 1k miles on the engine. I want to get this car @ close to 40mpg for my daily drive.
Its' a big rubber hose and it would be better if left this size. It is a snug fit and that makes it better because it stays in position pretty much so you can make adjustments, like mounting the hose clamp bracket. Also I had the air box in and out about a dozen times and the hose pretty much stayed put. Mesh might be a good idea maybe use some storm door screen, the fiber stuff, if you could fold it over the end and fasten with a hose clamp. I'm just going to pull the filter out and clean it on a regular basis.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #193
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
Hey thanks for the props Brother!

A three inch pipe is pretty much the standard CAI diameter. Will you get similar results with a 2.5"? I'm sure. Is it worth investing in a smaller diameter? Not at all. Bigger the better! Especially since these are just 4 bangger daily drivers. lol

It's getting faint, but I remember a slow increase to the MPG meter after resetting it BEFORE doing this mod. AFTER, there was a quicker increase after resetting. What I am saying is the computer seems to quickly compensate for the better air supply. I can break 45MPG in under 5 miles every time! I believe back when I was doing R&D in the beginning, I noted a 8 MPG increase????? That still seems about right.

As for the hole vs. mesh? Yes mesh would help with bugs, but limit air. Removing the entire air dam of course would be ideal! So it's kinda up to the individual to take this idea as far as they feel comfortable esthetics wise. I for one, do not like the look of the entire air dam remove. And even though this mod is about performance, esthetics has to play a part in the performance compensation for me.

I to would love to see a molded scoop! Heck! If it was made out of fiberglass, I'd even buy one!
I just remembered Behling Racing and Pegasus sells premolded duct scoops and they are within 20 miles from my house I may have to take a road trip to see if they have anything that would work for this application, will keep ya posted.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #194
unida767
Sonic Mk3 Crew #08

Fan#: 95574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Powershift SEP

FF Reputation: 11 unida767 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Could someone please provide the part number for the stock airbox?

Tousley found it for me "CP9Z-9600-D for the car with the standard emissions, CP9Z-9600-B for cars with the California emissions"

Last edited by unida767; 03-16-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Found thanks to Tousley
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #195
BooBerry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90175
What I Drive: 2012, Blue Candy, SE

FF Reputation: 2 BooBerry Good Standing Member
NewMission, have you thought about adding the steeda CAI kit to your build?

Gamertag = FailSnail Ink
Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #196
pastoriusk2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89909
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 pastoriusk2 Good Standing Member
Thinking about the bugs thing... would anyone think it would be a good idea for it to be a T at the bottom so bugs would just pass through? Or would the suction from the engine just suck bugs up regardless?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #197
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBerry View Post
NewMission, have you thought about adding the steeda CAI kit to your build?
Neh. You already have a Steeda "CAI". Just remove the top cover of your factory air box. lol I mean in all honesty, Steeda is using the factory piping and replacing the plastic airbox with a metal one. They throw in a filter and charge $299! I don't know man. It's still sucking from the engine bay. This setup is still the only true CAI on the market. All for under a $100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastoriusk2 View Post
Thinking about the bugs thing... would anyone think it would be a good idea for it to be a T at the bottom so bugs would just pass through? Or would the suction from the engine just suck bugs up regardless?
I wouldn't worry about bugs Brother. Unless you want to keep your pleats clean in your filter. And for that, I recommend investing in the Outerwears Pre-filter. It will blow your mind how much dirt it prevents from getting in your pleats and clogging your high flow filter! I honestly don't get many bugs in my box to call it a concern.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #198
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Here is a graph I did during a joy ride with my new toy. A Launch Creader6 live data tool.

This is showing a graph from a dead stop through acceleration. You'll notice the intake air temp drops almost immediately to ambient, which was 78 that day. You can see the in blue, the mass air flow begins to even off even as the RPMs continue to rise towards the end of the graph. This is showing the "ram" effect where the engine is not longer "sucking" but it is getting the air it needs supplied. I will do further testing with the factory set up, and no box at all later.

Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #199
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
This setup is still the only true CAI on the market. All for under a $100!

The AEM intake is a true CAI, it takes the air filter out of the engine compartment.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #200
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
The AEM intake is a true CAI, it takes the air filter out of the engine compartment.
True story? Where is it pulling from?
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!

Bookmarks & Social Networks