2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 19 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #181
ihdillon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88321
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 ihdillon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Installed the mod today. Removing the front air dam was a pain to get out, but other than that everything went smoothly. I drove it around the block for a little, sounds really nice. I'm planning on adding the funnel at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #182
dave2521
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96016
What I Drive: 2012Focus Titanium Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 dave2521 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am considering doing this mod as well, how has everyone else's results been? Newmission thanks again for posting such a great walkthrough!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #183
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2521 View Post
...Newmission thanks again for posting such a great walkthrough!
You're welcome Brother! I'm open for any questions about details anyone may have.

Still waiting on the OBD2 Scan Tool to do a little more R&D. I'll be testing the factory setup again, along with no box a all (short ram), and removing the front duct work.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #184
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
You're welcome Brother! I'm open for any questions about details anyone may have.
I think this has been answered before, but I wasn't 100% on the explanation and just want to make sure. When you cut the tube to make the scoop area, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be on the intake end of the tube, but which way does it go? Like, is it meant to be cut horizontally so that the scoop points straight up or vertically exactly like it is pictured when you are holding it?
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #185
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I think this has been answered before, but I wasn't 100% on the explanation and just want to make sure. When you cut the tube to make the scoop area, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be on the intake end of the tube, but which way does it go? Like, is it meant to be cut horizontally so that the scoop points straight up or vertically exactly like it is pictured when you are holding it?
You got it right. Cut the "scoop" part just as seen in the picture on the intake end. It will be vertical with the fender. When you see it in person, you'll understand why cutting a notch out will help "catch" more air.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #186
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

The latest in R&D. I had my lower valance off working on my fog lights, and decided to do a little research on air flow. Now logic it self will tell you the bigger the hole, the more air. But I wanted to know really how far do I have to go with that. I still didn't want to remove the entire grille cover for esthetics reason. Just me. But the best result was indeed removing the cover.

So I took a good shop fan, and propped it in front of the vehicle. Using just my hand, I checked how much air was getting past the current semi-slotted grille. I would say maybe 40%. Noticeably unacceptable. So I removed the grille, and slotted the remaining holes to what we you see now. The hole you see aren't over the intake funnel, so they were left alone. Only the slotted portion is where the incoming air is collected. Testing again with just my hand, my estimate is roughly 75% air through. If I had another grille to do again, I would start with a thicker slot.

Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #187
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Finished doing the mod. today pretty easy thanks to NEWMISSIONS really good pictures, was able to duplicate everything exactly. Hardest part was getting dam out. Ended talking all the covers off the bottom. For some reason
the clips holding the dam in were not releasing, went back in easy though.
I'm going to leave it this way a little while, but will purchase some aluminum sheet and making a scoop to cover the dam piece area. I will paint it black so when you look through it will look natual.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #188
BooBerry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90175
What I Drive: 2012, Blue Candy, SE

FF Reputation: 2 BooBerry Good Standing Member
Pics when you make the scoop please

Gamertag = FailSnail Ink
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #189
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBerry View Post
Pics when you make the scoop please
Sure thing. Have to do lunch box delete first, parts should have been here yesterday.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #190
DD-Jenk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96145
What I Drive: 2012, Metallic Grey SE

FF Reputation: 1 DD-Jenk Good Standing Member
This is a great thread and I just finished reading the whole thing. I've owned my 2012 Focus SE for a month now and want to try this mod but have a few questions.

1. After the mod, the engine should be sucking air from both the new pipe as well as the stock intake. Obviously the stock intake is smaller, but the 3" ID pipe seems like a bit of overkill. You mention how tight the 3" pipe is to install, do you think a 2.5" pipe would be better and still get similar performance?

2. There are quite a few pics with the drill holes performed on that front plate, but I haven't read much about a black mesh. I think I would prefer a mesh. Anyone have pics or suggestions for purchasing?

3. Along the same thought as before...would a mesh help in preventing the bugs in the air box?

Thank for the great mod idea newmission, I'll update this thread as I progress. Right now I am getting about 31mpg with 1k miles on the engine. I want to get this car @ close to 40mpg for my daily drive.

Bookmarks & Social Networks