2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 17 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #161
newmission
Focus Enthusiast
 
newmission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84688
Location: Toledo, OH
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

Posts: 534
FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
Now if you could modify the existing air inlet and run a hose under the airbox.
That's exactly what this mod does.
__________________
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
newmission is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #162
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
That's exactly what this mod does.
Expect that your running the radiator hose from the lower grill. Instead of using that ram type setup that already exist.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #163
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89667
Location: Middle, GA
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

Posts: 253
FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
Expect that your running the radiator hose from the lower grill. Instead of using that ram type setup that already exist.
We know that the original design is a ram-air, but it allows for a very small air volume that has been proven to be quite warm by the time it reaches the air box.
Craig9080 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #164
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
We know that the original design is a ram-air, but it allows for a very small air volume that has been proven to be quite warm by the time it reaches the air box.
The point I am trying to make it this.

Take the original inlet in the focus that leads to the airbox. Instead of split air ducts make it one big duct. Then remove the resonator under the airbox like you have done, but don't make it bigger just tie it into the bigger duct. Yes it is the same principle of what you have done, but the air comes fro the original location. Plus no worries of hydro lock.

or use this http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #165
newmission
Focus Enthusiast
 
newmission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84688
Location: Toledo, OH
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

Posts: 534
FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
The point I am trying to make it this.

Take the original inlet in the focus that leads to the airbox. Instead of split air ducts make it one big duct. Then remove the resonator under the airbox like you have done, but don't make it bigger just tie it into the bigger duct. Yes it is the same principle of what you have done, but the air comes fro the original location. Plus no worries of hydro lock.
The factory setup is not ram air. It sucks from the front grille area with the intake right angled from incoming air. There is no direct fresh air feed coming from the front without these two pipes. Everything is closed off by the dams that funnel air through the active grille shutters and radiator.

Hydro lock has been addressed by leaving the factory pipes in place. If by chance you submerse the lower hose, the remaining factory piping will draw air as it originally did. No water has ever made it to my air box. Even after driving in heavy down pour at highway speeds.

It seems even Steeda has taken the idea of leaving the filter in the engine compartment and supplying it with fresh air.

Props for the ideas however brother!
__________________
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
newmission is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #166
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
The factory setup is not ram air. It sucks from the front grille area with the intake right angled from incoming air. There is no direct fresh air feed coming from the front without these two pipes. Everything is closed off by the dams that funnel air through the active grille shutters and radiator.

Hydro lock has been addressed by leaving the factory pipes in place. If by chance you submerse the lower hose, the remaining factory piping will draw air as it originally did. No water has ever made it to my air box. Even after driving in heavy down pour at highway speeds.

It seems even Steeda has taken the idea of leaving the filter in the engine compartment and supplying it with fresh air.

Props for the ideas however brother!

ok, I do not often do this but. I went out and pulled the guard of the front end and what do you know there is no ram air. The darn tube go under the black shield below the hood latch cable. I might have to take that thing off and see I can get some more air into the box. Anyway I was wrong this time.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #167
newmission
Focus Enthusiast
 
newmission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84688
Location: Toledo, OH
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

Posts: 534
FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
ok, I do not often do this but. I went out and pulled the guard of the front end and what do you know there is no ram air. The darn tube go under the black shield below the hood latch cable. I might have to take that thing off and see I can get some more air into the box. Anyway I was wrong this time.
Much respect!

If you find a solution you like, please share.
__________________
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
newmission is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #168
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bwill9886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93444
Location: Collinsville, IL
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

Posts: 455
FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Interesting... Thanks for taking a look Brabs.
Bwill9886 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #169
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89089
Location: North Charleston, SC
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

Posts: 409
FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Has anyone besides newmission done this and kept it for an extended period? What kind of results have you gotten? I am somewhat interested in this, but a sample size of one isn't quite enough to convince me it's worth it at all.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus Sterling Grey Metallic SEL Sedan
Ordered: 8/6/11 VIN: 9/6/11 Build Date: 8/30/11
Delivery: Originally estimated 9/19/11. Delivered 9/22/11. picked up 9/24/11.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
forceflow2 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #170
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you go to fordparts.com you can search air filter and view how the inlet from the airbox snakes under the grill.
__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.