2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #111
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
48.9mpg!? I might have to try this! What kind of highway speed are we talking? I average about 45mpg at 55mph, 42mpg at 60mph, 40mpg at 65mph, and about 37mpg at 70mph.

If the 48.9 is at 65mph highway speeds, I might just have to partially void my warranty. I can't wait for my LRR tires and whichever aero-covers I will be buying/making...

Let us know how the funnel works out!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #112
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
48.9mpg!? I might have to try this! What kind of highway speed are we talking? I average about 45mpg at 55mph, 42mpg at 60mph, 40mpg at 65mph, and about 37mpg at 70mph.

If the 48.9 is at 65mph highway speeds, I might just have to partially void my warranty. I can't wait for my LRR tires and whichever aero-covers I will be buying/making...

Let us know how the funnel works out!
That was at 55. I wanted my final temp to balance out going 60, and that's when it dipped from 48.9 to the 47.1 in the pic because traffic came up behind me on a one lane road.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #113
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I got my resin and fiberglass and I am even more excited for the weekend. I am optimistic about the scoop since I drive 74mph all the way to work, and at that speed it will be RAMMING the air into the airbox hopefully helping me get over my average (80%H/20%C) 30mpg hump.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #114
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

So I got out of work early today (AWESOME) and went home to everything delivered on my doorstep. The first thing I noticed when I was fitting the pipe is how tight it is, but your right, once it gets in there its just a little snug. The second thing I noticed is that my grand ideas about making my own FG scoop where a little ahead of myself, in order to get one in there I would have to take off the molding that runs the enter bottom side of the front fender, so that immediately got bumped to a "maybe"in the future, but at least I have everything to make one when I get there.

I got my base line numbers today:

My commute averages out to 31.6 (including) about 5 miles of city-esk driving during work. My commute is 60 miles with 90% highway and 10% city.

My testing stretch of road tested at 35.2mpg @ 74mph. I have a K&N element and did a battery disconnect followed by the Ford recommended 5 min idle before setting off so I can try to keep it as close as possible to the other result.

I'm headed i on Saturday morning for an alignment, cam from the factory jacked up , but as soon as I go home I will get cutting and put this baby together!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #115
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

Points 41,045, Level 100
Points: 41,045, Level: 100 Points: 41,045, Level: 100 Points: 41,045, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekit View Post
Well here is how mine sounds after i did REDFOCZ mod i love how its sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWU8-qaQmOE

I might actually try this to see what its like(see if it makes a difference in my mpg or the sound of the car).
LOL the REDFOCZ mod haha, it sounds good and is all that was done before I put my car on the dyno to get my numbers.
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #116
Neekit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85377
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow blaze SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Neekit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
LOL the REDFOCZ mod haha, it sounds good and is all that was done before I put my car on the dyno to get my numbers.
Hahaha i knew someone was gonna say something about what i called it but thanks.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #117
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
...The first thing I noticed when I was fitting the pipe is how tight it is, but your right, once it gets in there its just a little snug. The second thing I noticed is that my grand ideas about making my own FG scoop where a little ahead of myself, in order to get one in there I would have to take off the molding that runs the enter bottom side of the front fender...
Yes the transition from engine compartment to front bumper area is a little snug. But we are running a 3 inch hose. :)

And yes you will have to remove the front fascia. Not the fender molding. Just the plastic that runs the width of the front bumper. It's how I got my cone in there. Now you know why I left the cone off to begin with. ;)

But once you're in there, which is just six push rivets and 6 torx screws I believe, you'll notice that area is pretty well "scooping" the air into the hose already. I would love to make a molded scoop to box in the whole front grille plate. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

I'll be pulling IAT number after work today for everybody. Anxious to see if the funnel made a difference.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #118
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
I'll be pulling IAT number after work today for everybody. Anxious to see if the funnel made a difference.
I'm anxious to see the results!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #119
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

NUMBERS ARE IN!

I did prior testing without any modifications what so ever. And even did IAT testing without the entire air box, just the filter in the engine bay.

Those temps were:
with 84 degrees ambient
-88.3 with factory set up
-89.9 without entire box

Then after the 3 inch hose ram air set up:
with 84 degrees ambient

And finally after funnel install, and more holes added to front grille insert:
with 61 degrees ambient
-58.0 degrees IAT! 3 degrees UNDER ambient!

Now I don't know how wind chill plays in all of this. Or the accuracy of Ford's thermostat. But the only thing that has changes is the intake set up.

Is the $0.94 funnel worth the add? HECK YES!

Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Get you some!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #120
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Phase 1 results

So I finally got to dive head first into this mod and since we all know the rough jist of how it goes I wont go over that again. Everything wen well until I started trimming the hose that went into the air box. I got a little over zealous and ended up shaving it so 2" of the hose rim doesn't make it into the air box. This is definitely on me, the funny part is when i pulled it out I had cut right on my measurement lines. My guess is that I didn't have the hose seated all the way and this the screw up. Anyway, I drove on with 70% of the hose making it into the box. I modified my air dam as I had planned, it came out decent, but a drill press would have definitely been helpful here.

So with the jacked-up hose and all I set out on a test. The sound has come throat to it, and is a little more than I wanted, but that is most likely due to the gap that resulted from the over-trimmed hose. Finally the numbers:

Test at 74mph:

Stock: 35.2mpg
Modified: 35.8mpg

So a measurable increase!!! Now imagine if I got the hose all the way in the air box?

So with the Gates 22274 hose on back-order on Amazon i begrudgingly placed my order, i just cant justify paying more that $24 to fix my own stupidity.

Pics to follow.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.