2012 a/c problem - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #171
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I think your compressor is faulty if it blows warm. The smell could be based on not properly draining the condensation from the evaporator core, though that could be from user error, but this might be less likely than a clogged drain. Idk.
The intermittent burst of warm air is not uncommon in this thread. I get substantial puddles of water under the car, so it's draining. The a/c works 98% of the time perfectly for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #172
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
The intermittent burst of warm air is not uncommon in this thread. I get substantial puddles of water under the car, so it's draining. The a/c works 98% of the time perfectly for me.
I don't know, apart from the first couple minutes from starting the car when its been heat soaked all day (which I combated by tinting the windows and using a sun shield, but the vents still get warm when its at or around 100F outside.) I've never gotten an intermittent burst of warm air. The A/C did seem to take a few minutes at most to pull down at first, but now it seems to work better and faster the more I've used it in the 3300 miles or so I've driven the car so far. Mine seems to work properly from what I can tell, even sitting in traffic I've not lost the cooling effect of the a/c.

I did have a damp smell at one point in time, but that was very early in my ownership with the car, and I hadn't been turning the a/c off before turning the car off or turning recirc off at the time, I cleaned out the vents with a little bit of Ozium and for the most part remembered to turn it off before shutting the car down, and that generally hasn't re-occurred since.

So if you're getting an intermittent failure it seems like its the compressor, as someone else reported that it was the problem with theirs when they had a similar issue.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #173
2012_Focus_
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98386
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 2012_Focus_ Good Standing Member
I read a few pages of people have a/c problems with the 2012 Focus. I am one of the ones that have the musty, moldy smells and now I am also noticing a cigarette smoke smell (car has never been smoked in nor have someone that smelt like smoke in it) I had to remove my front passenger floor mat cause it smelt so bad and COULD NOT remove odor from it (washed with soap and water, Vinegar, sun bath for hours, still smells) I know the dealer will say there is nothing wrong but after seeing all of these post I will make sure they find the source of the problem.. Ford family and this does not put a smile on my face
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #174
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Not the same type of warm air issues some people are having, but I've been driving with my climate control off and at LEAST 4-5 times now it has turned itself on - everytime it shows the LO - LO setting and the fans on full blast with the A/C on.

I feel like it might happen when I hit a bump? I'm wondering if it's a button clearance issue or something. Anyone else ever have this issue? (May 2011 build)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #175
Tabby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103168
What I Drive: 2012,red,Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Tabby Good Standing Member
2012 Ford Focus Air Conditioning Issues

I have now had our ford focus that we bought this spring in for it's 4th trip to the dealer for air conditioning issues. Like all of the other posts I have seen here, the ac stops blowing cold air and smells terrible randomly. I dropped my car off on Aug 9th am. It is now Aug 28th. The dealer had the problem happen once while they were driving it but couldn't get it to do it while they had it hooked up to the computer. They drove my car over 300 miles, did nothing and just called me up and told me to get the car, it's fine. The dealer agreed that it did the problem once for them so... am I just supposed to accept that an occasional problem is ok? I don't think so. Then, they actually argued with my husband when he told them it better come back with a full tank of gas since that is what we dropped it off with. Like a moron, I agreed to let them drive the car as much as they needed to. They would not even give us a loaner to drive because we didn't buy the extended warranty. What that has to do with it I don't know.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #176
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
It's probably time to call Ford directly. Bypass the dealer. The problem with car dealers is that they're run by car dealer people. Somewhere between people who torture animals and lawyers who defend them are car dealers.

Customer Relationship Center
United States
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Local Time
Monday-Friday

BY TWITTER
@FordService
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Monday-Friday
Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #177
Tabby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103168
What I Drive: 2012,red,Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Tabby Good Standing Member
So.... We opened a case with Ford two weeks ago. Still no help. Since I picked up the car I purchased a thermomer that I stuck in the vent. I have been tracking and noting the problem. It's happened 4 more times since I brought it home. This morning I had the bright idea to videotape the thermometer as I drove. Surprise, surprise, the problem happened while I drove back to work from lunch today. The temperature rose 10 degrees in seconds and the humidity changed significantly so that I had to wipe off the thermometer to read it. I then called the dealer and the Ford rep and told them if it's not fixed and we are not given a rental car to drive while it's being fixed we are filing lemon law. We'll see..........

By the way, the dealer continued to say that they could not replicate it and without being able to replicate it they couldn't do anything. It's amazing that I have driven it less than 50 miles since I picked it up and it's happened 4 times and they have driven it for over 300 miles and can't replicate the problem.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #178
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
I can't figure out any sort of pattern. The definite AC cutouts that I recall are either sitting at a red traffic light or else using cruise control. Tabby's response is why I'm reluctant to take my car to the dealer.

I'm not a mechanical engineer by any means, but I'd think if it was a bad lot of compressors, the problems would be getting worse over time.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #179
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Add me to the list of the random no A/C. Latest one was while I was idling with a light...no cold air coming out the entire time the light was red. It's so intermittent, I hesitate bringing it to the dealer for this...
Quote:
I can't figure out any sort of pattern. The definite AC cutouts that I recall are either sitting at a red traffic light or else using cruise control. Tabby's response is why I'm reluctant to take my car to the dealer....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_Focus_ View Post
I read a few pages of people have a/c problems with the 2012 Focus. I am one of the ones that have the musty, moldy smells and now I am also noticing a cigarette smoke smell (car has never been smoked in nor have someone that smelt like smoke in it) I had to remove my front passenger floor mat cause it smelt so bad and COULD NOT remove odor from it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Not the same type of warm air issues some people are having, but I've been driving with my climate control off and at LEAST 4-5 times now it has turned itself on - everytime it shows the LO - LO setting and the fans on full blast with the A/C on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
I have now had our ford focus that we bought this spring in for it's 4th trip to the dealer for air conditioning issues. Like all of the other posts I have seen here, the ac stops blowing cold air and smells terrible randomly. I dropped my car off on Aug 9th am. It is now Aug 28th. The dealer had the problem happen once while they were driving it but couldn't get it to do it while they had it hooked up to the computer. They drove my car over 300 miles, did nothing and just called me up and told me to get the car, it's fine. The dealer agreed that it did the problem once for them so... am I just supposed to accept that an occasional problem is ok? I don't think so. Then, they actually argued with my husband when he told them it better come back with a full tank of gas since that is what we dropped it off with. Like a moron, I agreed to let them drive the car as much as they needed to. They would not even give us a loaner to drive because we didn't buy the extended warranty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
So.... We opened a case with Ford two weeks ago. Still no help. Since I picked up the car I purchased a thermomer that I stuck in the vent. I have been tracking and noting the problem. It's happened 4 more times since I brought it home. This morning I had the bright idea to videotape the thermometer as I drove. Surprise, surprise, the problem happened while I drove back to work from lunch today. The temperature rose 10 degrees in seconds and the humidity changed significantly so that I had to wipe off the thermometer to read it. I then called the dealer and the Ford rep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
I can tell you as an owner of a Focus manual the A/C isn't as good as I'd hoped. That said, it really seems to be overwhelmed with anything above about 90 degrees. Once you're driving it improves and I wonder if the air flow through the grill is an issue for the condenser. As for blowing "hot air" the air isn't really hot but isn't as cool as it should be either (in times of high heat, I mean). The last few days we've had milder (mid to high 80's) weather here in the South and it's been cooling as good as anything I've owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
It's probably time to call Ford directly...

United States
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Local Time
Monday-Friday

BY TWITTER
@FordService
Available 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Monday-Friday
Hey everyone -

Thanks for putting up the contact info, jpolk84! I'm an extension of our Customer Relationship Center in a different communication medium. If your AC isn't operating as expected, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll escalate this with your regional Customer Service Managers.

Tabby, please PM me your case number and I'll look into it.

Have a great Labor Day weekend,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #180
bgrif1578
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99366
What I Drive: 2012 white focus

FF Reputation: 1 bgrif1578 Good Standing Member
2012 Focus Air Conditioner

I just want to add my name to the list of 2012 Focus owners who have the air conditioner problem of it cutting off & blowing warm air mainly during stop & go traffic but also on the longer interstate trips. We took ours to the local Ford dealer, explained the problem, but since they could not "re-create" it while they had it in the shop they did not have any answers for us. Said maybe if enough people complained there may be a recall. My car has 26,895 miles and is just a little over 2 years old. Can someone offer any suggestions as to how to get this fixed??

Bookmarks & Social Networks