2012 a/c problem - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #121
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My AC seems to be improving. I am getting a squeak from the front end. I can't duplicate it by pushing on the front end but when I drive over bumpy roads it's there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #122
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
took mine in, and they said the PCM reflash was the problem. They flashed it again, and said it now works. I think it's the same as before... going to wait for the temp to get warmer outside, to prove the air still isn't cold. They tested my AC when it was 57 outside... genius

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 06-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #123
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97968
What I Drive: 12 BlueC SE Sport 5DR+5SP+201A+Wntr

FF Reputation: 1 VelociRacer Good Standing Member
Everyone should have one of these:

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct...er-lcd-display

They usually go on sale for $2.50. I tested to be very accurate. Just stick in the ducts and report back with your duct temps, ambient temp, car speed, fan speed, max a/c.

We sorely need hard data on this. Duct temp in the 40s would be ideal. I'm not driving my fofo for a few weeks or I would have done this by now.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #124
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

yeah, i'm certain the air needs to be colder than 71
Vent temps were in the 50's...according to the tech. It was at most 60 outside at the time of the test.

Guess I'll have to wait until the end of the day, in the 80's+

Schedule for EOD, Friday.

-DaeHan

Last edited by DaeHanL; 06-07-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #125
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
Duct temp in the 40s would be ideal.
Would be ideal, but not always realistic. A properly working A/C system is designed to drop temperatures about 30 degrees under ambient. That means if it's 100 outside, a 70 degree vent temp would still be working proper. If you can get 50-60 degree vent temps on a 100 degree day, you're way ahead of the game. Some cars can cool more than 30 under, some can't. It depends on the type of car, and how it's system functions.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #126
04SVTF303
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98899
What I Drive: 2012 POS

FF Reputation: 1 04SVTF303 Good Standing Member
Anyone else having a fan speed issue? I sit at a light and can feel and hear the fan speed up and slow down.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #127
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

When I had the 12-5-5 TSB done, that went away for me 04SVT.

-DaeHan
Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #128
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
2012 Ford Focus SEL with the dual zone automatic climate control set to single zone at 62 F with varying fan settings and an ambient temperature of around 80 on Thursday afternoon/ evening led to vent temps somewhere in the mid-high 30s-50s depending on the distance from the vent using an ir thermometer, although it might be reading slightly low when pointed at the left of center register. It might have helped slightly to close the right center vent with only one occupant, but once it had reached peak cooling when not set to the minimum temperature setting of lo-lo it was seemingly pulling down the ambient temperature down by closer to 30-40 degrees in the core of the vent, and directly at the vent it felt very nearly ice cold. I guess that means I don't have an issue with it yet, apart from needing to remember to turn off the A/C in order to keep from allowing the possibility of a moldy/ musty smell.
I suppose ozium or lysol could help, but are really not the ideal solution, as I would prefer not to constantly resort to spraying chemicals into the ducts or the plenum.

Car finally passed the 1000 mile mark yesterday with 106x miles on it at the moment iirc.

Idk how much I trust the i.r. thermometer, as it claims to have a distance to spot of 1:1, but depending on if it was being directly hit with the cold air or measuring off the duct or vanes it was changing from around 33-50ish at the vent, but the higher temperatures were usually noted from the plastic vanes themselves iirc.

Probably best not to try to take real time measurements while driving without a fluke digital thermometer and thermocouple probes for greater accuracy as well as a passenger to monitor the data.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #129
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97968
What I Drive: 12 BlueC SE Sport 5DR+5SP+201A+Wntr

FF Reputation: 1 VelociRacer Good Standing Member
Great info. If using probes and such, make sure they are tested accurate. A glass of ice water and a mug of boiling water out of the microwave will establish 0 and 100C accuracy. It should be linear between those points.

My craftsman digital voltmeter has a temp probe and it really sucks. The meritline doohickie blows it away for accuracy.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #130
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
Great info. If using probes and such, make sure they are tested accurate. A glass of ice water and a mug of boiling water out of the microwave will establish 0 and 100C accuracy. It should be linear between those points.

My craftsman digital voltmeter has a temp probe and it really sucks. The meritline doohickie blows it away for accuracy.
I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7875-...pr_product_top

I'd bought it on an impulse in the grocery store 3-4 years ago to have an automotive i.r. thermometer for around $20 usd, but it may or may not be off 3-4 degrees F depending on the accuracy of the device, since its rated to read from -27 to 428 F or -33 to 220 C.

It seems reasonably accurate though given the fact that at its coldest the air coming from the vents does feel to be significantly cooler than the 50-60 degree vent temperatures others were reporting.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->