2012 a/c problem - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #101
dasilvarsa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89551
What I Drive: 2012 2.0 Gdi Trend

FF Reputation: 2 dasilvarsa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious View Post
My AC works well when I'm just cruising along, however, if I'm driving like an idiot and flooring it from every light (hey, sometimes I get in that mood) it will blow out hot air for about 5 seconds. Then it will go back to cold air. It's a very noticeable difference in the temperature of the air. Does anyone else experience this?
Shouldn't happen.
Reason:
When you floor it even if the pump switched off for a while the evaporator should be freezing cold.

2 things I've noticed.

The Aircon is mediocre for this car. (Sucks)
When the car has been switched off for a while heat from the engine is somehow getting inside the ventilation system and when you first switch on the car there is a blast of hot air for a few seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #102
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasilvarsa View Post
Shouldn't happen.
Reason:
When you floor it even if the pump switched off for a while the evaporator should be freezing cold.

2 things I've noticed.

When the car has been switched off for a while heat from the engine is somehow getting inside the ventilation system and when you first switch on the car there is a blast of hot air for a few seconds.
If you floor it the compressor is turned off to provide the extra horsepower the car would have used to run the compressor, depending on the delta temperature of the incoming air vs the cooled evaporator can result in the evaporator core heating up quicker than you'd think since it can only draw so much heat out of the air before itself being warmed back up if the refrigerant is not being cycled through the compressor and condenser at the same rate as when the system is operational.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be heat soak from the engine, the inlet to the cabin air is located on the firewall and the top of the vents are only partially shielded by the hood. If it's hot enough out/ there is enough solar gain that can also cause the trapped air in the ventilation system to heat up tremendously, this is seemingly normal for every car I've ever driven, however the extent of the problem depends on how long it takes for the hot air to be purged from the car. That's on top of the solar gain through the windows heating the cabin of the car up before turning the hvac system to on.

It does take a few minutes to pull down so far, but then again its also new and not fully broken in in my particular case as the car has fewer than 1000 miles (1609km) on it at this present time. However if set to lo on the climate control system it has consistently gotten reasonably cold soon enough as long as I closed the right hand center stack vent. I would close off both passenger side ducts if I was driving by my self, but the outboard panel registers tend to squeek and do not seem to happy to have the air redirected back against them rather than through them.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #103
VTwin60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99432
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 VTwin60 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasilvarsa View Post
Shouldn't happen.
Reason:

2 things I've noticed.

Bzzt wrong. When applying full application of throttle just about every brand of Ford GM Honda (the three that I know best) will cut off the AC for extra power to the engine. This has been happening since all the way from at least 1994 that I can recall.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #104
Tenacious
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98774
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 Tenacious Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTwin60 View Post
Bzzt wrong. When applying full application of throttle just about every brand of Ford GM Honda (the three that I know best) will cut off the AC for extra power to the engine. This has been happening since all the way from at least 1994 that I can recall.
I understand why this occurs (I read up on it before posting), but maybe I didn't do a good enough job explaining the extent of it. My family has a 2010 as well as a 2011 Focus, and neither of them gets this hot in that scenario. No vehicle I have ever driven has this dramatic of a shift in the temperature in that scenario, except for the 2012 focus. Does anyone else have any experience with this? VTwin, you seem to know a lot about air conditioning, if you have a 2012 Focus, give it a whirl and compare it to your past experiences with other cars.

Sidenote, the smilies on this forum are fantastic.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #105
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
i'm seeing it just take a long time to get cool and then it's not as cool as I'd expect it to be.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #106
Tyson
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99177
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Tyson Good Standing Member
A/C not working from day one fixed

First post thought I would add my issue...bought my car 2 weeks ago 3 days in I took it back to the dealer for A/C not working from day one...invoice says wireing harness was repaired. Works great now. All in all been driving it alot took it on a 2.5 hour road trip SUPER happy about mileage as I owned a mustang before. Very happy with this car.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #107
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

That was standard all te way back in 1987 wih my 5.0 Mustang...
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #108
04SVTF303
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98899
What I Drive: 2012 POS

FF Reputation: 1 04SVTF303 Good Standing Member
Living in Phoenix, AC is a must. I took it to a dealer with my concern and was told all is well. It's roughly 105 out now. I drove the highway 20 miles home and was still sweating when I pulled into my garage. I find it hard to believe this is the norm for a brand new car. Two words sum up the way I'm feeling about the car...buyers remorse.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #109
Blizzard35
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88463
What I Drive: 2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 2 Blizzard35 Good Standing Member
After complaining about the a/c on this car for almost a year, my dealership "finally" listened to me and have replaced the condenser, which was "cracked" and was constantly leaking coolant...duh, why they don't listen to the people that actually drive the vehicle is beyond me! Anyway, I get my car back this afternoon and they have also performed the transmission/abs etc. update and they finally figured out how to install the "remote start" that actually works with my existing I/A key-fob! I will report back after I've had the car for a bit.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #110
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Update from my original post. Per the dealership the AC was indeed running out of range and giving a code of 4564. The range hi 205 and low 45 w duct temp of 56. Found that the system was overcharged and reserviced into approved operating spec. hi 180 low 34 duct temp 44.

This may be a factory issue where the over pressurized over serviced reservoire is causing poor initial performance. It would also stand to reason why the more its used, the more it seems to work correctly. Thanks Gaudin Ford, you guys did a good job.
thanks for the Codes and info. I contacted my dealership, and gave them the skinny on my car's AC with your Code number. Hope that helps them! they can't get me in for a week, but it's not supposed to be AS hot here in Cincy the next few days.

they said I was the first 2012 Focus that they're heard of that had an A/C unit that wouldn't blow cold air. My car only blows cool air regardless of setting.

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan

Bookmarks & Social Networks