P0460 P0193 2002 Focus fuel problems. Help! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
rfourt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87521
What I Drive: 2002 Red SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rfourt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
P0460 P0193 2002 Focus fuel problems. Help!

We just bought a 2002 Focus SE Wagon with the Zetec engine. Things have gone really south with the car since buying it.

Replaced the alternator due to bad voltage regulator. Of course we all know how much fun replacing the alternator is!

Now the car has started misfiring and it threw P0460 and P0193 codes. I replaced the fuel pressure sensor and it cleared the P0193 code. The fuel level code (P0460) still shows and the car runs like crap. If you give it just a little gas, it will be smooth, but if you accelerate at all, it starts humping. It almost sounds like it's getting too much gas.

The line from the Evap Purge Cannister to the fuel pressure sensor has been partially replaced with a standard EFI hose and clamps. Don''t know if that would affect it.

Also, a weird side note, the temperature and fuel gauges don't respond right away. About 10 seconds after starting the car, the gauges will come on.

I'm new to the forum, so be gentle....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Obvious question: Time of last fuel filter replacement? Should be done every 25K miles. "Humping" when applying gas is usually fuel starvation. There was a problem with fuel pumps in the early model years. Your situation doesn't quite fit those symptoms however (engine cutting out/stumbling on high speed angled corners such as freeway off ramps.)

Evap Purge Canister to fuel pressure sensor line...? The two components are unrelated.

btw, welcome to FF.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
rfourt
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the reply. We just bought the car, so I don't know even IF the fuel filter has EVER been changed. I'll check fuel pressure at the rail and see what I'm getting.

My bad on the Evap to FPS. It is the supply line to the FPS at the rail.

The reason I thought it might be flooding is that at no load, in neutral, the car will rev past the sputtering and hit high rpm's no problem. It's just the initial acceleration from idle that causes it to sputter. In DRIVE it's another story.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

If the fuel filter has never been changed, then I'd change it as a matter of routine maintenance. If it's badly clogged then that may be your problem and it's a $10/20 minute fix.

You may have a problem measuring fuel pressure at the rail since a stock car has no fitting.

If flooding is causing a misfire, you may get a CEL (Check Engine Light) indicating a misfire is occuring and which cylinder. If the misfire is severe enough to affect the catalytic converter (emissions), the CEL light will flash as the misfire occurs.

Sorry, but I think your two codes when taken together may be pointing to fuel pump problems. The Focus fuel system is somewhat unique in that it is "returnless"; there is no return fuel line back to the tank as in other "looped" systems. Instead the ECU modulates the voltage to the pump to provide the correct fuel pressure for a given engine load. The ECU calculates/monitors the pressure with the pressure sensor.

Anyway, fuel filter first then go from there.

DTC code specifics for reference:

P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input (FRP)
The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP sensor circuit to the PCM for high voltage. If voltage were to fall below a calibrated limit and a calibrated amount of time during testing, the test will fail.
FRP signal shorted to VREF or VPWR.
FRP signal open (gasoline only)
Damaged FRP sensor.
Damaged PCM.
High fuel pressure (caused by damaged fuel pressure regulator) NG.
A FRP PID value during KOER or KOEO less than 0.3 volts for gasoline or 0.5 volts for natural gas vehicles (NG) would indicate a hard fault.

P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction
The PCM monitors the fuel level input (FLI) circuit for electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified fuel fill percentage in the fuel tank.
Empty fuel tank
Fuel pump (FP) module stuck open
Incorrectly installed fuel gauge
Damaged instrument cluster
CASE GND circuit open
FLI shorted to VPWR
Damaged PCM
Overfilled fuel tank
Fuel pump (FP) module stuck closed
Damaged fuel gauge
FLI circuit open
FLI circuit shorted to CASE GND or PWR GND
CSE GND shorted to VPWR
Monitor FLI PID and FLI V PID in key ON engine RUNNING. FLI PID at 25% fill (with non matching fuel gauge) and FLI V PID less than 0.90 volts [for FLI PID at 75% fill (with non matching fuel gauge) and FLI V PID greater than 2.45 volts] indicates a hard fault.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
rfourt
Focus Rookie

What a terrific response! Thanks for all the info. I think I've come to the right place for answers. It never occurred to me that the system was returnless.

Anyway, thanks for your time and patience!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
rfourt
Focus Rookie

Thanks again for all your help.

PS, since the voltage reg had been bad, I decided to replace plugs, wires, coil pack along with the fuel filter.

The damn spark plugs were original (123K miles). Anyway, she runs great now and I really appreciate your help.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Glad to hear it was an easy fix.

Might want to do all the fluids while your at it. The Zetec motor seems to perform well for many miles when properly maintained.

btw, cam belt replacement is technically due at 120K miles.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
xecutionr
Haterz gonna Hate

Fan#: 55434
What I Drive: 2003 Frost Silver zx3

FF Reputation: 18 xecutionr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I just had this same problem happen to me... it was as if my power cut off at high rpm... one of my coils on the coil pack had carbon or some kind of build up on it... do you guys think that could be my problem? the coil pack?
Zetec Crew #343

1979 Ford F-150 Custom 200,000 and counting
2003 Ford Focus Zx3 - 130,000 and counting (DD)
Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
rfourt
Focus Rookie

Since I did the stupid thing and replaced several components at once, I can't say for sure which fix fixed the problem. The fuel filter is a no brainer since it's so cheap and relatively easy to install. The coil pack too is easy but costs more. Plugs and wires, IMO, should generally be replaced together.

That being said, I know on my 2002 the plugs, wires and coil pack were all original and 123K miles old. My code scanner showed adequate fuel pressure but I replaced the filter anyway. If your car has a lot of miles and has not had these components replaced, $125.00 should cover all the parts and a couple of hours of your time would be a good investment.

Bookmarks & Social Networks