2012 Ford Focus Scheduled Maintenance - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macromind View Post
While perusing through the owner's manual, I was surprised to learn that in addition having an intelligent oil life monitor that effective extends the intervals between oil changes, the 2012 Ford Focus has no scheduled tune- ups. (at least non that is mentioned in the owner's manual).

Here's what my dealer rep said:

"The intelligent oil-life monitor, monitors your oil and the monitor will go as long as one year or 10,000 miles on the focus. This means that you don't have to change your oil untill 10,000 miles; if you do the oil monitor will let you know.

There is no maitinance schedule for the focus other than the oil changes at 10,000 miles and the spark plug changes at 100,000 miles. That is amazing. Just let me know if there is anything else i can do for you."

Is this correct? Is this pretty standard with new cars today? Nobody has ever mentioned this about the car and I have read through a lot print research before buying. If it it correct, then it would substantially lower the overall cost of ownership, especially over other/ older cars that require such maintenance. Just surprised it's never mentioned as a selling point.
If you register at owner.ford.com, there is an easy-to-use vehicle maintenance schedule, including what to check and/or replace at certain mileage intervals. You can also enter your records for future reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #22
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
While the DCT has a "lifetime" lubricant, its capacity is quite small and a drain and refill looks to be easy and straightforward. With the trauma some DCTs have early in their lives, a drain and refill around 30k doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Although it wouldn't hurt, it shouldn't be necessary because:

1) Most of the issues with the DCT are related to the clutches, which are outside of the "gearbox".

2) The factory gear oil is full synthetic.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
If someone is experiencing problems with the DCT, an early transmission fluid change wouldn't be the worst idea. I don't know how involved the change is though. With the VW DSG, you need VAG-COM or some other diagnostic software to make sure the fluid is at the right temp. It is also triple the fluid, and costs $20 a liter. Then there is a special tool to feed the new fluid in the transmission. I made one out of a funnel, plastic tubing, and other Home Depot parts instead. That was done on my last DSG vehicle at 40K miles. I wouldn't do the fluid change until the issues are fixed, or around the 60K warranty expiration.
It's kind of apples and oranges...

The VW DSG uses wet clutches whereas the DCT can be thought of as a manual transmission when it comes to lubrication.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Although it wouldn't hurt, it shouldn't be necessary because:

1) Most of the issues with the DCT are related to the clutches, which are outside of the "gearbox".

2) The factory gear oil is full synthetic.
True, but for those that have gear grinding sounds...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Quote:
There isn't a lot to do on the Focus, but there is more than oil changes in the first 100k: air filters (30k), cabin air filter (20k?), engine coolant (6 years on factory fill, 3 years after), tire rotation.

While the DCT has a "lifetime" lubricant, its capacity is quite small and a drain and refill looks to be easy and straightforward. With the trauma some DCTs have early in their lives, a drain and refill around 30k doesn't seem like a bad idea. My Mazda 6 speed manual calls for a fluid change every 4 years/50k - don't think the environment it lives in would be much different from the DCT's. The stuff I drained out of the Mazda at about 15k looked pretty nasty.
If the cabin air filter is as hard to get to as the one our Mazda3, BMW 540i, and others, it's worth the $750 to have someone else do it...

FWIW, my 9year old and I just completed a front shock replacement on said Mazda3, so I'm not afraid to do some work.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello Rider View Post
If the cabin air filter is as hard to get to as the one our Mazda3, BMW 540i, and others, it's worth the $750 to have someone else do it...

FWIW, my 9year old and I just completed a front shock replacement on said Mazda3, so I'm not afraid to do some work.
I don't think a lot of these have been done yet, but I gather it's not too bad. It's accessed from the passenger footwell and requires repositioning one of the fuze boxes, all in pretty tight quarters.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog26 View Post
Ummm, I guess I got screwed! I was offered a 5 year/55k maintenance for $720 but was not informed that you only need to change oil for every 7.5k or when the maintenance reminder shows up. Do you think I can cancel the service plan and get a refund?...How am I supposed to know that the car I'm buying only needs an oil change every 10k miles? =(
Look at it this way, your engine will love you dearly. Did you get the Premium Maintenance Plan: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...remMaintDetail If so, it covers a lot more than just oil.

Page 382 of the Owner Guide (5th Printing) states how to protect your investment. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor can display an "ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE" or "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" message at a service interval of up to one year or 10,000 miles.

Quote:
There isn't a lot to do on the Focus, but there is more than oil changes in the first 100k: air filters (30k), cabin air filter (20k?), engine coolant (6 years on factory fill, 3 years after), tire rotation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
If you register at owner.ford.com, there is an easy-to-use vehicle maintenance schedule, including what to check and/or replace at certain mileage intervals. You can also enter your records for future reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello Rider View Post
Hey guys -

Thanks for going into more depth about the Premium Maintenance Plan. Here is the link to our owner site: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte.../Page/HomePage. Ohhh, Ahhh!

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
SaxmanUSMC
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104440
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 SaxmanUSMC Good Standing Member
Well, the only thing I have to say about the maintenance plan is to ensure you have a dealership to take it to that will take care of your car. My local dealership put a 4" vertical dent across the drivers side door side stripe on my 2010 GT500, after I got the car back with oily hand prints on the paint on both my 5K and 10K mile service. I got a refund for the maintenance contract after the second incident and the dent happened when I brought the car in for a TSB fix. Not trying to hammer on Ford service, but before you drop the cash, make sure to check out the service department first.

Back on topic; I know oil change intervals have gotten much more spread out in the last 10 years. The question I have and have not been able to find an answer to is what about the first change interval? I know most manufacturers put "break in" additives on the first fill and that sometimes the first interval is shorter than the rest for this reason. I have always been one for going no longer than 5K between changes, but this is also the first car I have owned that has not had forced induction of some sort. (I have a 2012 Focus Titanium 5-Door).

Bookmarks & Social Networks