Ongoing Front End Rattle - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #51
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think Lip needs to try this procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #52
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Actually I had the mounts checked about a year ago, all good.
I'm pretty satisfied with the velcro inside the bumpstop and through the hard plastic ring inside the bumpstop. Now it only does the sound on the sharpest bumps, and very rarely. About five times this week. Compared to insane rattling and clunking down the street that is a big improvement.
I really think that if I put a felt washer all the way around the inside of the hard plastic ring, all will be fixed. I suspect that the grease fix will be temporary just becuase grease shifts and thins out etc.
I will have the dealer check the mounts again this week when I get the 40k service.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #53
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Actually I had the mounts checked about a year ago, all good.
I'm pretty satisfied with the velcro inside the bumpstop and through the hard plastic ring inside the bumpstop. Now it only does the sound on the sharpest bumps, and very rarely. About five times this week. Compared to insane rattling and clunking down the street that is a big improvement.
I really think that if I put a felt washer all the way around the inside of the hard plastic ring, all will be fixed. I suspect that the grease fix will be temporary just becuase grease shifts and thins out etc.
I will have the dealer check the mounts again this week when I get the 40k service.
Can you post a picture of the part you're referring to? I have 2500 miles on my '13 and it just started Rattling up front a few days ago. It starts when pulling out of my subdivision onto a grated type road that is rougher but the front suspension rattles until I pick up speed or get to a smoother road. The sound is a definitely metal rattling. I'm going to mention it to the dealer but I know it's going to be hard to reproduce without similar conditions.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #54
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

If you are currently experiencing noise from the front end of your vehicle, I encourage you to contact your dealerships ASAP to make an appointment for service.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #55
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi everyone,

If you are currently experiencing noise from the front end of your vehicle, I encourage you to contact your dealerships ASAP to make an appointment for service.

Crystal
What Crystal is saying, but can't directly say it, is that there has been a TSB issued that may address this issue.

TSB 13-03-02 -Crunching Or Creaking-Type Noise From Front Of Vehicle - Low Speed Turns And Bumps
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #56
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
TSB 13-03-02 -Crunching Or Creaking-Type Noise From Front Of Vehicle - Low Speed Turns And Bumps
Is this normal in cold weather? I'd hate to think that I'm developing this, but I guess I'll have to wait until summer.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #57
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
This sounds like the old Tsb that changed the springs and strut bearings. It does not work. It's for a totally different problem. That Tsb is for noises you get when when turning. The test they perform after the job is to find smooth pavement and do figure 8 turns. Totally unrelated to the slow speed clunk/rattle that ford does not address. This has been going on for a year and a half with no resolution.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #58
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
This sounds like the old Tsb that changed the springs and strut bearings. It does not work. It's for a totally different problem. That Tsb is for noises you get when when turning. The test they perform after the job is to find smooth pavement and do figure 8 turns. Totally unrelated to the slow speed clunk/rattle that ford does not address. This has been going on for a year and a half with no resolution.
If I had the issue, I think I'd check with my dealer just to be sure.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #59
RedoFromStart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98701
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 RedoFromStart Good Standing Member
I've had some temporary success from the dealership with lubrication of the sway bar bushing. The sway bar may not be moving freely as it should (I wonder what interconnected parts will suffer early demise as a result), and in some cases what is actually the creaking from the movement of the sway bar itself only SOUNDS like a rattle or clunk as the bushing moves back and forth over the same sticky spot over and over.

In any case, it appears that the motor mounts are problematic, as mine as developed a squeaky rattle that only occurs when the vehicle is in Drive and I let of the break or hit some bumps while lightly applying brake pressure.

I'm not regretting buying this car, but it certainly is a bit of a let down with all of the trips I have to take to the service center for problematic noises from the front end. I thought I was buying something better than this but now I feel duped.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #60
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedoFromStart View Post
In any case, it appears that the motor mounts are problematic, as mine as developed a squeaky rattle that only occurs when the vehicle is in Drive and I let of the break or hit some bumps while lightly applying brake pressure.
I think I need a new motor mount as well. Why else would they have beefed them up in job 2 builds?

Bookmarks & Social Networks