2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #51
jmczaja
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89489
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jmczaja Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the support guys.. Brought the car in today and dealt with the service manager. I explained the problem again and even had him take a look at this forum! After looking up part numbers and all that kind of stuff he mentioned that it looked like 'something was brewing' and that it appears that a TSB might be on the horizon? I wish issues like this would be communicated to the dealerships sooner. Without even taking the car out for a ride he ordered the rack. It appears that it is on backorder but should arrive in about a week. I'll post my results once the work has been done. Again, I appreciate all the help from this forum..

-jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #52
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,103, Level 34
Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
It appears only to happen, at or above certain speeds (usually at expressway speeds). Also, it appears to happen after a certain period of time -- not necessarily right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczaja View Post
Thanks for the support guys.. Brought the car in today and dealt with the service manager. I'll post my results once the work has been done. Again, I appreciate all the help from this forum..
Hi Jay,

Terrific, thanks for the update! Eurofordfan had a good idea to bring this forum to their attention, and I am glad they are working to resolve it for you!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #53
drvudoo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89975
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 drvudoo Good Standing Member
I'm having the same issue. Is there a service bulletin number for this yet. Really scary, because it happens at highway cruising speed. I see it happening when the freeway bends and you have to make small turns. It gives me the same sensation as if the car was hydro planing.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #54
davedcc2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89179
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Met. HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 davedcc2012 Good Standing Member
elwood125 posted this on 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM.

The TSB # was not listed, but the part # needed are.

TSB is out for the steering gear concern.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB
11-9-8 STEERING WANDER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/1/2011

Publication Date: September 17, 2011

FORD: 2012 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/1/2011 may exhibit a steering wander at highway speeds over 72 Km/h (45 MPH). Customers may indicate they have to frequently adjust the steering wheel slightly to maintain the direction of travel.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the Steering Gear. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-00.

NOTE: FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED TORQUE SEQUENCE AND TORQUE SPECIFICATION. IMPROPER TORQUE SEQUENCE MAY RESULT IN THE STEERING CONCERN REOCCURRING.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
W714807-S900 Bolt (3 Req)
BV6Z-3504-CE Steering Gear - With 18" Wheels
BV6Z-3504-DE Steering Gear - Without 18" Wheels
CV6Z-00812-A Sub Frame Bolt (2 Req)
W715491-S442 Control Arm Bolt (2 Req)
W520415-S442 Control Arm Nut (2 Req)
W520203-S442 Tie Rod Nut (2 Req)
W520113-S442 Stabilizer Bar Nut (2 Req)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #55
RyanD
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90120
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RyanD Good Standing Member
Steering Issues

Just to add to the fury. Just over two weeks old, 500 miles, constant rubbing in the steering started, standstill and all speeds. Turn the wheel, rubbbbbbbbbbb. Dealer had it 3 days and tells me that an unspecified part is special ordered and should be here by November, lol. Needless to say they are tinting my car for free Saturday, smell a recall coming. Just have to find a way to tune out the rubbbbbbbbbbb for a couple months, lol. Absolutely love the car otherwise. The noise is rather loud however. If I were Ford, I would want this fixed before November as it is very audible outside the car. Kinda sours your taste on it being a new car.......
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #56
texas75218
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90127
What I Drive: 2012 frosted glass

FF Reputation: 1 texas75218 Good Standing Member
Thumbs down Steering problem

We took delivery of a 2012 Ford Focus yesterday. Today on the freeway we noticed the steering wanting to zig zag( as mentioned) It makes you have to correct steering by zig zaging in the lane and does not allow for slight steering corrections. THIS IS GOING TO GET PEOPLE HURT OR KILLED.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #57
texas75218
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90127
What I Drive: 2012 frosted glass

FF Reputation: 1 texas75218 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas75218 View Post
We took delivery of a 2012 Ford Focus yesterday. Today on the freeway we noticed the steering wanting to zig zag( as mentioned) It makes you have to correct steering by zig zaging in the lane and does not allow for slight steering corrections. THIS IS GOING TO GET PEOPLE HURT OR KILLED.
FORD customer service says no know issue. Said we would have to pay for repairing a non acknowleged issue. Called dealership and they are not aware of any issue with the 2012 focus. We have had the car less than 24 hours. Going to see if dealership will take car back before we get KILLED on the freeway trying to keep it in the lane.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #58
jmczaja
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89489
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jmczaja Good Standing Member
I'm happy to report my problems were fixed by replacing the entire steering rack assembly! My car now steers as it should and no more zig zagging on the highway/sore hands. Thanks for everyones help in this thread..

Texax75218, don't let them BS you! There IS a problem and it's a DANGEROUS problem. Just because they won't acknowledge it doesnt mean a problem doesn't exist and FWIW they DO know there's a problem. The dealership tried to pull the same crap with me and told me that's how the car supposed to steer and that i just needed to get used to it! Call customer care and get a case #. I'm sure a rep from Ford will see your post in this thread and help you out as well. Good luck.. I'm sure you'll get everything straightened out..

-j
Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #59
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
FORD customer service says no know issue. Said we would have to pay for repairing a non acknowleged issue. Called dealership and they are not aware of any issue with the 2012 focus. We have had the car less than 24 hours. Going to see if dealership will take car back before we get KILLED on the freeway trying to keep it in the lane.
Hey texas75218,

Ford won't take the car back as they say there is not a issue, Have they even driven the car yet? Some dealerships like to say there are no issues when the only thing they have done is Sun test it in the parking lot. Open the drivers side door and look for the vehicle tag and see what the build date was. If it falls on or before the date of the TSB then print that out and take it with you to the dealership.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Montana
Old 09-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #60
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,103, Level 34
Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvudoo View Post
I'm having the same issue.Really scary, because it happens at highway cruising speed. I see it happening when the freeway bends and you have to make small turns. It gives me the same sensation as if the car was hydro planing.
Quote:
Today on the freeway we noticed the steering wanting to zig zag( as mentioned) It makes you have to correct steering by zig zaging in the lane and does not allow for slight steering corrections.
Hello drvudoo & texas75218,

The perfect first step is to visit your local dealer so they can inspect your Focus. If they are unable to resolve your steering concerns, please let me know so I can assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Just to add to the fury. Just over two weeks old, 500 miles, constant rubbing in the steering started, standstill and all speeds. Turn the wheel, rubbbbbbbbbbb. Dealer had it 3 days and tells me that an unspecified part is special ordered and should be here by November, lol.
Hi RyanD,

Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can see if your part can be expedited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczaja View Post
I'm happy to report my problems were fixed by replacing the entire steering rack assembly! My car now steers as it should and no more zig zagging on the highway/sore hands. Thanks for everyones help in this thread...
I'm glad you are posting about your great experience, jmczaja! Thanks!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks