2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehatch View Post
MN 2012 Ford Focus, see this thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=steering. Itís a defect in the TRW steering rack as noted by fanddp. The problem goes far beyond speed sensitive steering and those not having the problem have difficulty understanding what we are experiencing. I have returned my Focus while they sort it out. Dealer tells me Ford sent a list of parts to be replaced. SEHATCH
SEHATCH's comment, specifically, that those individuals that are not experiencing this issue (and I say the majority of 2012 Focus owner) should not discount this issue. It affects a certain, likely small, % of the vehicle population -- and I am sure it is a real issue. A number of vehicles with EPAS do have these issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

It's been fixed, as per SEHatch: see following: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...261200&page=10

Now, how to ensure that the dealer community knows about the issue?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
teresah
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88777
What I Drive: 2012 blue

FF Reputation: 1 teresah Good Standing Member
steering

I bought a 2012 focus in june, had noticed "stiffness" of the sterring, took it on vacation at higher speeds 60-70 mph and it was just alot of work to drive due to the swerving and stiffness of the wheel, felt like driving some kind of go cart. steering fault light came on 170 miles from home and spent anhour at a ford dealer "resetting" the system the problem continued and when we got back from vacation it went back to the dealer for a "fix" that the dealer says Ford sent them. The problem seems worse now and at lower speeds we can notice the swerving actio. This week the dealership called and stated that they are waiting on parts from Ford Engineering to replace "steering gears." I have let Ford know that the vehicle does not seem safe at times d/t the swerving, it almost feels like you are driving behind a semi truck and the turbulence but when you go to correct the drift the car then overcorrects and swerves. I hope this fixes the problem as overall I ike the car but feel hat the steering problem could cause a serious accident. Feedback?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

I'm sure that Ford knows about the issue. I am told that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is being prepared, and will be issued to dealerships, so that all of the Techs and dealer service writers know about it. This issue likely affects a small % of Focus' -- but rest assured, it is a real issue, and it has to be repaired. The repair calls for a changeout to a new power steering rack and pinion assembly. Apparently it takes about 2 hours of shop time plus a subsequent front end alignment to repair the car.

It appears that the "steering gears" parts back-order is just what is required.

Good luck -- and please post, on whether the steering rack changeout fixes the issue (I'm pretty sure it will!).
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #25
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone!

I know it must be aggravating to wait for the parts to come in on your repair. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist. I'm sorry if I've overlooked anyone's post, but I'm here to help if you need it!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #26
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
FWIW, hydraulic power steering has been speed sensitive since the 80's. The used to make a big deal in the marketing literature but it has become standard fair on any car with power steering it's just not mentioned any more.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #27
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Natasha, re the steering stiffness issue, requiring a change-out of the power steering rack to rectify -- is a TSB now available; and also, do you have any word on whether the issue has been rectified with new production Focus'?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
teresah
Focus Rookie

my 2012 does the same thing, ;uckily our dealer is taking our word for it sine it didn't do anything that they noticed on their test drive, it had a fault light that came on whiole out of state on vacation and we had to drive to a ford dealer and sit whil they 'reset' the system. The problem continued and sseemed to mke the car unsafe at higher speeds, we took it back to the dealer and they worked on it and itwas les stiff but still with the serving action at higher speeds, it is back in the shop today and the service manager had spent alot of time on the phone with ford engineering and they are putting in new "steering gears" and i hope that solves the problem. I told the dealer it is difficult to describe but is much like driving a go cart or being stuck in the turbulence behind a big truck when it acts up
Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #29
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
Natasha, re the steering stiffness issue, requiring a change-out of the power steering rack to rectify -- is a TSB now available; and also, do you have any word on whether the issue has been rectified with new production Focus'?
Hi Eurofordfan,

I am unable to speculate on any potential adjustments our engineers may be working on, but if any information is released, I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresah View Post
... it is back in the shop today and the service manager had spent alot of time on the phone with ford engineering and they are putting in new "steering gears"...
Hi teresah,

I'm pleased that your dealer is taking a proactive approach to resolving your concerns. Please keep me updated on the status of the repair. I'm confident they will be able to get you back into your Focus soon. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #30
teresah
Focus Rookie

steering 2012

Got my car back from the dealer yesterday and am taking it out of town tomorrow, so will see if it is fixed, they replaced the "steering gears." hope it is OK now cause other than the steering problem i love the car! teresa

Bookmarks & Social Networks