2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 24 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #231
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Yep. Exact same issue here!.
Big update;

I took it to ANOTHER dealer, probably the one I should have gone to in the first place - the one where I purchased the car.

This will be the FOURTH alignment from 3 different dealers-a 4th dealer test drove it and said "everything was normal- and while it only has been a few days, I think my problem is finally FIXED. It IS THE ALIGNMENT. My toe was out of spec again but the BIG problem was the THRUST ANGLE. it was "way off" from what the tech told me. He said my car was basically driving sideways down the road, and when I hit any type of bump it would make my car go crazy steering wise. Now my steering is "heavy". It takes some effort to turn the wheel and minor bumps and cracks do not cause my car to need constant correction. It will keep going straight. While it is not 100% better, it still sometimes likes to move left or right, it is exponentially better. I can now drive it with 1 finger again if i wanted too. I can live with it now.

So if you are having the same problem, keep going in for alignments and mention for them to check the toe and more importantly the thrust angle.

Right now I am very pleased with possibly having my problem resolved. Like others said, keep going to different dealers and if you haven't already, escalate your problem with Cory, he will get you in touch with your local regional customer service rep who will talk to your dealer.

Last edited by Some Guy From NY; 12-22-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #232
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaves View Post
I just picked up my 2013 Focus SE with the 17in wheels last week. I absolutly love it, with one caveat: I noticed that it is very hard to correct direction at highway speeds due to "notchy" steering feel...My dealer is looking at next week...
Welcome to the forum, Joerg; congratas on the new ride! As you can see, thereís a very helpful community here. Iím confident your dealer will take care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicbluz View Post
...My focus does the exact same thing you described. The result: "That's normal"...
Sonicbluz,

Does it feel worse than when you were last at the dealer? I have your info from before, so get a hold of me with your current mileage and Iíll have this reviewed for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peridigm View Post
...Mine has been a pleasure to drive since the rack was replaced. Feels like a totally different car...
Itís awesome you love how your Focus drives now, peridigm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Yep. Exact same issue here!.
Dysan911,

I want to see your concern taken care of. Iím able to send this up to your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
...Right now I am very pleased with possibly having my problem resolved. Like others said, keep going to different dealers and if you haven't already, escalate your problem with Cory, he will get you in touch with your local regional customer service rep who will talk to your dealer.
Thanks so much for the shout-out, Some Guy From NY. Please keep me in the loop.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #233
scoobtothenoog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114029
What I Drive: 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 1 scoobtothenoog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just purchased my 13 se. I'm currently in the middle of my 275 mile commute to work. I'm having the same problem at highway speeds. The steering is very notchy. Loads up with lots of resistance, then when it finally decides to go a direction it darts on me, then the wheel will not center itself. I have spent the last 3 hours sawing at the wheel to stay straight going down the highway. I'm exhausted from it!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #234
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobtothenoog View Post
I just purchased my 13 se. I'm currently in the middle of my 275 mile commute to work. I'm having the same problem at highway speeds. The steering is very notchy. Loads up with lots of resistance, then when it finally decides to go a direction it darts on me, then the wheel will not center itself. I have spent the last 3 hours sawing at the wheel to stay straight going down the highway. I'm exhausted from it!
Welcome to Focus ownership!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #235
scoobtothenoog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Is there a tsb out for this?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #236
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobtothenoog View Post
Is there a tsb out for this?
not for 2013's that I've seen there's TSB 12-02-17 for steering wander on early build 2012 models http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282053 would take in to dealer(pm Crystal ford customer service your name ,phone # ,VIN # and dealer info might help) info have them check things out ,have you checked tire pressure and sure it wasn't road ,few things dealer will ask / check, been dealing with mine for almost a year even after new steering rack GOOD LUCK
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #237
scoobtothenoog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

FordCustomerService are you listening? Can you help me get a head start on this?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #238
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #239
jcho250
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114405
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 jcho250 Good Standing Member
Unhappy 2012 Ford Focus SEL

Hi all. I was referred here after doing a little Google search on "power assist failure" for the 2012 Focus.

The system warning message came on after the car was sitting in a parking lot all day during work hours. Turned car off and on a few times to see if it would go away as it had for a few others, but mine persisted. Left the Focus at work to take to local dealer the next day. Steering was extremely tough and didn't want to risk driving 30 miles home as it was.

Dealer today tells me that they have to replace the entire steering column. Not sure what that means exactly, but it's going to cost $2400. Our family's first Ford ever, and we are really regretting it.

Guess there's no chance of any sort of recall, right? Wish I had researched electronic power steering issues before all this. Forum seems great though.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #240
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I don't understand why they would have to replace the entire column. There are two TRW-manufactured EPS units: the column-drive and the rack-drive units. The Focus has the rack-drive unit, where all of the power-assist function is located on the rack, vs. on the column for the other type.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks