2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 2012 Ford Focus View Post
Why would I give you my peronal information and why can't my dealer take care of it?
As Phokus said, I am with Ford, and can assist if needed. You are welcome to visit your dealer first, just know that I am here to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
I have this noise coming from the front in park and when i am driving slowly as i turn the steering wheel back and forth just aliitle. It sounds like somethings binding.It does not effect the way the car handles. Anyone else have this problem and can someone from Ford check into this for me please..
Hi lifocus,

Have you had your Focus diagnosed at the dealer? They are best able to resolve your concerns. If you need additional assistance, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
scottybgood
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88075
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 scottybgood Good Standing Member
MN 2012 Ford Focus, I COMPLETELY understand what you are experiencing! I have a 2012 Focus SEL Sedan and I have been feeling it every time I get to highway speeds, and it seems to be even more pronounced when the Cruise Control is on. The zig-zag comment made me shake my head in the affirmative...it gets so tight, that you can't make just a small adjustment without resistance, and when you get enough, it is too much!!

I even had an issue about a month ago where I lost Steering assist all together! Got a message, "Steering lost, please stop safely!". Had it towed to a dealership and it apparently had set codes for "High Friction inside Power Steering". They cleared the codes, and reprogrammed the PSCM with updated software. Got steering back, but it still has the issue we are describing.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Monoblanco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59784
What I Drive: 2002 bright yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 Monoblanco Good Standing Member
Hi Natasha -
I have been watching with interest your activity on this forum - it is badly needed. Thank you.
Dealers, particularly their service departments, are generally viewed by car owners as unhelpful, not very competent and very expensive. They deliver the worst experience that most of us ever have relative to out cars. Ford, as well as all the other manufacturers, can greatly improve their public images by making these folks improve their competence, user friendliness and honesty. Survey after survey shows that car owners trust and like independent shops way more than dealers' service departments, and for good reason.
I, for one, will never again do business at a place where I can only talk to a service salesman and not to the mechanic actually doing the work.
Thanks for reading my rant, although I suspect you know it all already.
Regards,
Mononlanco
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
scottybgood,

I know it can be annoying to have the same issue even after your dealer visit. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will help with your concerns.

lifocus,

Thank you for the PM. I escalated your issue, and will continue to assist. Have a good evening!

Monoblanco,

Thanks for the feedback on my service to this community. I do understand that not everyone has a positive view of the service side, but we expect that all dealers would strive to provide a best-in-class automotive service experience to our customers. I encourage everyone to complete any surveys received from Ford, as that is the best gauge we have of the level of service provided.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
1stford4me
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88397
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 1stford4me Good Standing Member
Angry Same Thing

I have been experiencing the same steering noise when stopped or at low speed. Also have to correct the steering constantly at highway speeds. When I correct it, I immediately have to turn the other way to keep the car going straight down the road. I made and appointment at the dealer for this Wednesday. This is my first Ford (2012 Focus SEL with 2700 miles). Hope this car is not plagued with problems!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
DizzyLogic
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88413
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 DizzyLogic Good Standing Member
Same steering issue here...

Hey all,

I'm another owner with the steering issue. I've got my 5-door at the dealership for the second time thanks to the issue. They're being very nice and helpful, but didn't feel the issue today while I went for a ride with them.

So today they let me take another Titanium-trim Focus for a drive, and the steering and throttle response were both so much sharper; it was just amazing. The shop foreman that drove with me did remind me about the car's memory, whereby it learns your driving style so it can behave more like you'd expect it to, but it's as though my car is a rebellious teenager, listening only after I remind it who's boss, whereas the one they let me use as comparison was exactly what it should've been... a precise machine that does only exactly what it's told.

They've got my car still, so they can talk to the boffins in Dearborn. I also sent them a link to this thread so they can read explanation other than my "there's like a notch at dead-center that you have to push past before it will steer."

I can give slack with the MyFord Touch issues, since I'm a programmer, but I cannot imagine trying to drive in slick situations with a car that won't allow small corrections in steering. That could be downright dangerous, and I'm not willing to blemish the beautiful smile the Focus wears (especially since I'll be paying for the car for the next few years.)

Oh, and I haven't heard any noises with the steering, but I do hear a strange creeking-groan in the suspension when going very slowly. I suspect that the noise always happens, but that road noise drowns it out at speed. At this point I'm not sure if this is a problem, or just the noise struts and bushings make, but I did let them know about this today also. Thankfully the shop foreman heard this as well, and the test car made it as well, so at least they know I'm not totally bonkers.

So, I'm going to play the waiting game while the dealership (again, very nice and willing to help, just also perplexed by the issue) can communicate with the Ford mothership. I do know this much, as soon as it is sorted out I'm going to tear up the roads in the nearby mountains. That's a joy I've not yet gotten to experience in the 1000 miles I've driven my Focus so far.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
wsdmskr825
Banned

Fan#: 87715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 wsdmskr825 Good Standing Member
I too have noticed a highway steering input problem with my Focus. Staying firm in my lane appears to be an issue, with a dead spot on center. Minor corrections lead to an over-boosted response which leads to an over-correction. She's spot on on the side roads, but above 65 mph, at steady state cruise, she's overly twitchy. MN 2012 Focus's description is spot on.

I sold cars for years, many different brands, and this is not a case of having to adjust to electric v. hydraulic steering feel.

On a side note, I'm also experiencing severe whistling coming off my side mirrors at speed. Anyone else? This is a link to another thread regarding that.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264563
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
DizzyLogic
Focus Rookie

How much would I lose on a trade in?

Oh man... So I wasn't imagining the wind noise from the one time I've been able to drive windows-open? I've only had the car two weeks (800 miles)... and have found more issues and annoyances than the 2003 Hyundai Elantra I put 140,000 issue-free miles on, or the 2006 Ford Fusion I traded in after 100,000 issue-free miles.

I thought buying a car that's been out in Europe for years would have meant fewer problems.

I really am considering trading it in, but fear the financial hit that'd be...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
wsdmskr825
Banned

Fan#: 87715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 wsdmskr825 Good Standing Member
Trading it in would be a mistake. You'd lose at least $5,000, probably more. Better bet is to talk to Ford, or perhaps the Customer Service Rep. that monitors this site for Ford, Natasha. She seems to be responding to a lot of these threads with offers of help (she hasn't responded to mine yet, but I have faith). Yeah, I am a little disappointed with quality at this moment.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #20
DizzyLogic
Focus Rookie

Yeah, I was talking out of emotion and the anticipation of desperation. However my dealership got the OK from Dearborn today to replace the entire steering rack... but it's backordered. They're not sure when it will be in, but I can have my car back until then. However, I told them to hang on to it because they're also looking into the strange creaking noise when going over small bumps. I should be able to get it back tomorrow.

Funny thing is my perception isn't too marred, since the car feels rock-solid... at least as solid as the Fusion I just traded. Plus the dealership is being really helpful, and they're all nice, which goes WAY farther than most give it credit.

So, we'll see what happens when the steering rack is replaced. If it's not tip-top at that point then I'll just drive the crappy PT Cruiser (our other car) into the ground and get a nice trade on the Focus as soon as it makes financial sense... though if it comes to that I'll likely go back to Hyundai. That little 2003 Elantra GT was what I was hoping to get out of this Focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.