2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #171
greeniii
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96130
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 greeniii Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
UPDATE: My husband looked under the car and sadly it's not the exhaust. Barreth Ford have done much more serious damage to my car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #172
robertredd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96580
What I Drive: 98 Toyota Corolla

FF Reputation: 1 robertredd Good Standing Member
I've been really excited about this car and went ahead and rented a 2012 Focus for the weekend for a trip to the beach. I found this forum after searching for 2012 Focus Steering because I couldn't believe how hard it was to keep the car straight at highway speeds. It was like the steering would stick in place so even if I was turning around a bend on the highway, I could let go of the steering wheel and the car would keep turning and not self-straighten. The real problem was when I was just trying to go dead straight, the amount of force that it took to make the wheel move a very slight amount was enough to make the car 'twitch' into the new direction. I couldn't give it very slight steering adjustments because it took too much force to make the steering move at all. Like the Pre-Load was too high on the steering to get it moving. Once it did move, it'd over-correct just a hair. After the end of the weekend, I thought maybe I could get used to it if I bought the car, but then I got in my old Toyota Corrola to go home and it was sooooo much easier to drive straight on the highway going home. So, I searched and found this information. I'll definitely be test-driving a Focus on the highway before buying! Other than the steering.... what an awesome car for the price!

EDIT:
After reading through this ENTIRE thread, I'm glad to see there's a fix and I look forward to buying one of these soon.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #173
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniii View Post
...I drove maybe 10 miles tonight and all of a sudden it sounds like my car is from the fast and furious movie!!!!!!!!! The exhaust is soooooo loud and deep growling. All of a sudden there is clunking and jerking and I am wondering if I can make it back home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniii View Post
UPDATE: My husband looked under the car and sadly it's not the exhaust...

Hi greeniii,

I'm sorry to learn about your frustrating situation. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I'll escalate your concern to the Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamfam View Post
Noemi You asked me to send u my info but not sure how to do that privately...Still having issue with air conditioner cycling off
Hi dcamfam,

No problem! Click on my handle and you'll see the option, send a private message to Ford Customer Service. Pen your PM, click send and I should receive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpflyboy View Post
...My 12' 5 door titanium with the 18 inch optional sport suspension wheels and handling package with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires 235/40ZR-18 are horrible on grooved concrete hiways! It is not the steering, etc. It is the tires!...
corpflyboy,

Are these the original factory tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertredd View Post
I've been really excited about this car and went ahead and rented a 2012 Focus for the weekend for a trip to the beach...Other than the steering.... what an awesome car for the price!
EDIT:
After reading through this ENTIRE thread, I'm glad to see there's a fix and I look forward to buying one of these soon.
Hello robertredd,

How was that beach trip? Relaxing I hope!

I'm happy to learn you're considering the Focus for your next car purchase. This forum will provide excellent information about its great feature as well as the Focus link on Ford.com.

If you like you can also call the number below my signature or 1-800-334-4375 and request a demonstration drive of a Focus at your local Ford dealer. If you do so, let me know how it goes!

Take care all!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #174
sarahensley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96690
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 sarahensley Good Standing Member
Question Steering Noise

I have had my 2012 Ford focus for a little over a month and I am starting to hear what i can only describe as a rubbing/grinding noise pretty much any time i turn my car, in either direction. I have about 990 miles on it and have only drove it across the state one time. I thought that maybe the car was still trying to break in but i dont know what to do besides take it into the dealership.

I am really hesitant to take it to the dealership that I leased it from because I have had nothing but problems with these people from the last car i bought from them.

Can someone please help me!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #175
Akadia
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96742
What I Drive: 2012, white, Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Akadia Good Standing Member
Steering issues

We bought our new 2012 Focus last Saturday and on the way home from the dealership I thought the car must be reacting to the ruts in the interstate, but after driving it more it is zig zagging and all over the place with the steering.. Can't seem to keep it straight and have to use both hands to steer. Seems EXTREMELY unsafe and I am pretty unhappy with it. Sadly,, I love this car and I don't want something to be wrong with it already.
After reading all the posts about the issue, I will be calling the dealership tomorrow with the facts I have now.
thanks everyone.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #176
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,107, Level 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahensley View Post
I have had my 2012 Ford focus for a little over a month and I am starting to hear what i can only describe as a rubbing/grinding noise pretty much any time i turn my car, in either direction...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadia View Post
... thought the car must be reacting to the ruts in the interstate, but after driving it more it is zig zagging and all over the place with the steering.. Can't seem to keep it straight and have to use both hands to steer...
Hi sarahensley & Akadia;

Let's steer these issues to the attention of the Customer Service Manager. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact and I'll begin the escalation process.

Thanks,

Noemi

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #177
Scott W
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97094
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Scott W Good Standing Member
I purchased my new Focus two weeks ago, noticed on drive home down interstate it would not hold a straight line. Thought I needed to get used to it, I checked out this forum and found I am not the only one. Took to dealer Thursday with info in hand, they called me and said tech and service manager found no problem. They gave me another Focus to drive while mine was there. It drives perfect! I had them drive it with me and then mine again, they still insist nothing is wrong. The say mine has to be ok because it was built after the cut off date (window tag said 12/12/11) for the TSB letters. I need help, nobody in the family wants to drive the car because of this.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #178
Scott W
Focus Rookie

Noemi,

Did you get the PM I sent you on Saturday? I am waiting to hear from anyone from Ford that will take my information and move my concern up the line. I would really like to be able to enjoy everything about my new Focus.

Thanks

Last edited by Scott W; 04-02-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: miss spelled name
Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #179
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,107, Level 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
I purchased my new Focus two weeks ago, noticed on drive home down interstate it would not hold a straight line....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
Noemi,
Did you get the PM I sent you on Saturday? ...
Hello Scott W,

to the Forum!

I did receive your PM and will be working on the information asap.

Thanks,

Noemi

Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #180
Scott W
Focus Rookie

update on steering issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello Scott W,

to the Forum!

I did receive your PM and will be working on the information asap.

Thanks,

Noemi
I got a call from my local dealer today. Ford service rep told them to order all parts to perform the latest TSb and replace the steering rack under base warranty, not the TSB. Parts should be available in a week. Dealer will be giving me the other Focus to use again while mine is in shop. Hope all goes well, I will post an update when complete.
Noemi, thanks for helping out.

Scott W

Bookmarks & Social Networks