2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #131
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90592
What I Drive: 2012 titanium 5door

Points 444, Level 8
Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cardoc1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The car is still steering ok. When I first had the problem it felt like the steering gear was binding. I drove down my street at about 10 mph quickly turning the wheel back and forth about 20 times. I have had no problem since. I hope that fixed it perminently
( I still need a spell checker)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #132
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,235, Level 35
Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Update: They are replacing the steering rack in the Focus I drove (built October).
I'm glad they are working to resolve your steering issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc1 View Post
I decided to take it on a 100 mile road trip to Sacramento. That's when I discovered a major problem. I too couldn't keep it going in a straight line. I had to constantly saw at the wheel. By the time I arrived at my destination my arms and shoulders hurt so much that I could hardly move them.
Hey cardoc1,

Ouch, sorry it was so tough on your trip. Glad it's easier now, though. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I'll assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas75218 View Post
Yes there are a number of ones after that build date with the issue.
I replied to your PM, and I'm happy your parts arrived and your Focus is taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjessop View Post
Cardoc, exact same issue here! Got our SE in mid October and drove to Sacramento on the same route you did, 680/80 from Castro Valley and I was a mess when we got there.
Please keep me updated. My offer of escalation is still available if you need me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvudoo View Post
After 3K the ride has gotten harder and the event that initiates the over correction has diminish but not totally gone away. Thanks to Natasha it's at a dealership Ford has more comfort dealing with. If you are in the San Diego area Pearson Ford in Kearny Mesa has the nicest front end service department I've been in. I will hopefully get my car back today. I'll report back in a couple of weeks to let you guys know if the issue is resolved.
Thanks for the great update! I'm happy to help.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #133
jjessop
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91332
What I Drive: 2012 White se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jjessop Good Standing Member
Was hoping to hold out a bit longer but at 1,000 miles had to finally take the car in for the highway wandering issue. It was getting worse, not better and I could no longer stand driving it on the highway nor did I feel safe.

Arrived at the dealer with the forum pages printed out and they quickly found the service bulletin and assured me they knew what the issue was and the new steering gear would correct it. Crossing my fingers that this is resolved on the first try and was impressed with the dealer so far.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #134
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,235, Level 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Arrived at the dealer with the forum pages printed out and they quickly found the service bulletin and assured me they knew what the issue was and the new steering gear would correct it. Crossing my fingers that this is resolved on the first try and was impressed with the dealer so far.
Awesome! Thanks for the follow up.

~Natasha

Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #135
drvudoo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89975
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 drvudoo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
I responded to your PM explaining the best possible way to assist. If you prefer to wait and see if it has stopped wandering, that's perfectly fine, but I am here if you need me.

~Natasha
OK here it goes.

After thinking about it, I decided to go with Natasha's offer. Someone from Ford Customer Service called me. I was hesitant if anything was going to happen since the wandering was not occurring as frequent was it had been. Tammy(?) from Ford Customer service asked if I want to use my dealer's service department or another. I chose another service department that Ford had a good working relationship with. I was glad I chose the latter. The service department at Person Ford here in San Diego was night and day from Fuller. The service adviser treated me like a valued customer and not a bother. After a day they came back with a diagnosis of parts replacement. Went back in to get a rental while they waited for parts. I was given a Chevy Aveo. OMG my broken focus is 10x the car the Aveo was. What a pile of crap. No wonder why import cars ruled the sub compact class.

Natasha you gotta do something about your supply chain. I had to wait a week for the new steering gear to come in.

Well right out from the dealer the steering was stiff. I mean stiff all the time, as if I had no power steering. I thought I was driving my parent's 80's Mazda.

Drove it on my normal commute. The back end kicked out due to road construction on the freeway. The steering stayed true. With this fix driving is a bit dead. I've lost a lot of feel. Taking corners at speed has lost that loving feeling.

The end story is no more wandering after a week and a half, the stiffness has faded a bit. I have confidence in the car. I feel safe, which was the whole reason I went with Natasha's help.

I'm very glad Ford did not say that my wandering problem was just perception of how a new steering systems works. For those of you who posted that owners that have this issue are crazy. I hope you never have the unsafe feeling I've had driving this car. I hope you never worry that your car is driving itself and possibly injuring yourself and your family driving inside.

Thank you Ford for stepping up and resolving my issue.

Ford please make sure this fix is available any customer and not just Focus that are manufactured before a certain date. There are too many happy customers after the service for this to be forced upon by your customers to their service department.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #136
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,235, Level 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvudoo View Post
The end story is no more wandering after a week and a half, the stiffness has faded a bit. I have confidence in the car. I feel safe, which was the whole reason I went with Natasha's help.
Thanks for the positive message and feedback. I appreciate it! I'm sorry the steering rack took a few days to get there, but am thankful it resolved your concerns. Please keep me in mind if you have any questions.

~Natasha

Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #137
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,399, Level 98
Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
I'm sorry the steering rack took a few days to get there
It probably seemed more like a year driving an Aveo.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #138
jjessop
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91332
What I Drive: 2012 White se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jjessop Good Standing Member
Quick update, despite my earlier positive attitude that things were getting fixed I just got off the phone with the dealer. Ford Engineering says my production date had already been fixed and my steering rack should not have an issue. OK....great, then why does my car weave gently back and forth on the highway? Back to visit the dealer (and my car) tomorrow but I'm already mentally prepared to drive it off and trade it in on a new Honda.

-jerry
Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #139
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Quick update, despite my earlier positive attitude that things were getting fixed I just got off the phone with the dealer. Ford Engineering says my production date had already been fixed and my steering rack should not have an issue. OK....great, then why does my car weave gently back and forth on the highway? Back to visit the dealer (and my car) tomorrow but I'm already mentally prepared to drive it off and trade it in on a new Honda.

-jerry
They are full of it. I drove another Focus that was built in October that had the steering rack issue straight from the factory, so clearly they are still putting these things out with bad racks. In fact, when the replacement rack was ordered, it was on backorder until January. Dealer put an emergency order in and then they sent one of the old part number racks. I think they are in process of switching suppliers or rack design.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #140
drvudoo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89975
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 drvudoo Good Standing Member
Quote:

-jerry
Did Ford Customer Service call you? I was afraid I was going to get the response you got. I think the Ford servicer Customer service talked to, over rode that build date in the TSB. Natasha why are servicers still locked into this build date. There are a few customers seeing the same issue after that August 12th build date. Why not spend a few dollars to save a 16k+ sale?

Working on the service side for a large consumer electronics company. I understand ASC have autonomy. I know that when a customer complains the corporate office can force a ASC to do the repair or find and ASC that will. Losing warranty work seems like a big threat. Such easy money for the servicer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.