2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 12 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #111
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
The process begins when the VIN is sent over. I escalate the case to the Customer Service Manager for your area, and we review all resources to see if the part can be expedited to your dealer.

~Natasha
Yes, if you send Natasha your VIN she will help you, but it has to be a VIN from a 2012 Focus in your name with the attempted repairs you've described. We work closely with Ford Corporate reps and some dealers on this site. The dealers will jump through the hoops when contacted by a Corporate customer service rep if the dealer has been lax in dealing with the customer. It's like a check and balance, and we're glad to have Natasha on this site regularly helping out our members whom she can help. I can refer you to several posts made by other users of this site where Natasha has helped them successfully to get bad dealers to treat customers correctly.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #112
cbaldree
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88737
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus titanium Hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 cbaldree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What was the number of the August TSB?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #113
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
TSB 11-9-8 steering wander - built on or before 8/1/2011
Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #114
cbaldree
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

May I please have the TSB number?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #115
cbaldree
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sorry for last post. I now have TSB number.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #116
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
It appears that some folks, in addition to yourself, have felt the indicated on-centre steering flaw that was attributed to (only) the early cars. I don't think Ford has gotten to the bottom of the problem yet.

In a general sense, it seems to me that EPAS cars, be they steering column mounted electric assist, or rack mounted (like the Focus, I believe) still are a 'wee bit suspect, in terms of what will happen over the life of the vehicle. Will you be up for a $3000 steering column or $3000 steering rack replacement? I don't know what the price is -- but it certainly has hit some folks, here in Canada, with that kind of circumstance...

I dunno; I have not had much problem with the normal hydraulic PAS systems, rack and pinion. Mazda, in their "3" uses an electric motor to drive their hydraulic steering assist system. Is that a better bet, viz reliability????
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #117
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Has anyone experienced this in a car that was built after the 8/1/11 TSB date? I have been driving another Focus that was built 10/11 and it seems to be experiencing the steering problem as discussed here.
csvt2060 - PM me your info on the new Focus you're driving so I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Yes, if you send Natasha your VIN she will help you, but it has to be a VIN from a 2012 Focus in your name with the attempted repairs you've described. We work closely with Ford Corporate reps and some dealers on this site. The dealers will jump through the hoops when contacted by a Corporate customer service rep if the dealer has been lax in dealing with the customer. It's like a check and balance, and we're glad to have Natasha on this site regularly helping out our members whom she can help. I can refer you to several posts made by other users of this site where Natasha has helped them successfully to get bad dealers to treat customers correctly.
Thank you, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
It appears that some folks, in addition to yourself, have felt the indicated on-centre steering flaw that was attributed to (only) the early cars. I don't think Ford has gotten to the bottom of the problem yet.
While the symptoms may sound the same, there may be different causes, so varying solutions are possible. If you have any questions with yours, let me know.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #118
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post

In a general sense, it seems to me that EPAS cars, be they steering column mounted electric assist, or rack mounted (like the Focus, I believe) still are a 'wee bit suspect, in terms of what will happen over the life of the vehicle. Will you be up for a $3000 steering column or $3000 steering rack replacement? I don't know what the price is -- but it certainly has hit some folks, here in Canada, with that kind of circumstance...

I dunno; I have not had much problem with the normal hydraulic PAS systems, rack and pinion. Mazda, in their "3" uses an electric motor to drive their hydraulic steering assist system. Is that a better bet, viz reliability????
Hydraulic power steering has it's own issues..... people are just used to it so it's not much of a heartbreak.

I don't know the skinny on this TSB but keep in mind the electronic power steering system has a feature that is intended to lessen the effort required by the driver to compensate for road crown. The system will, by way of your restraint control module accelerometers, determine when the vehicle is traveling in a straight line. If it sees that the wheel must continuously be held a few degrees of center to maintain this straight path, the module will accomodate by electrically providing a "center feel" to the wheel when it's tilted. In other words, the electronic steering will hold the wheel off center to keep the vehicle traveling in a straight line. Because this is something never before done in a conventional hydraulic assist steering system, some people complain about it and incorrectly assume there is a malfunction.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #119
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Well to eliminate the notion that this is normal....I drove a 3rd Focus today on the same exact 40 mile route to work and it doesn't exhibit the same problem. So now I can tell myself I wan't overthinking the steering of the car. We are sending it to the shop to see what they say, hopefully Ford doesn't give them a hard time since it's out of the TSB manufacture date range. Looks like these things are still going out with some steering problems.

Natasha---I will contact you if/when applicable. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #120
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Natasha---I will contact you if/when applicable. Thanks.
No problem.

Have a good afternoon!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks