2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 19 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #181
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
I got a call from my local dealer today. Ford service rep told them to order all parts to perform the latest TSb and replace the steering rack under base warranty, not the TSB. Parts should be available in a week. Dealer will be giving me the other Focus to use again while mine is in shop. Hope all goes well, I will post an update when complete.
Noemi, thanks for helping out.

Scott W
Hello Scott W,

You're very welcome!

Keep me posted on the results and let me know if I can assist further.

Have a great weekend.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #182
LackofFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99148
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 LackofFocus Good Standing Member
my steering problem

I'm new to this site - I found it by searching for steering problems, and I'm happy to read it's not just me.

I bought a 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback with the 18" wheels about a month ago. I love the car, except for the steering. At first, like many people here, I thought I just needed to get used to a new car.

At highway speeds, and especially on concrete highways, I can't keep the car straight. The slightest movements in the steering will over-correct, and I have trouble staying in my lane sometimes. It also seems to happen after about fifteen minutes of driving. It definitely requires both hands on the steering wheel at all times on the highway.

One day this week the oscillations were so bad I was afraid a front wheel was coming off. I was seriously afraid and almost stopped in the middle of the highway. I have been really happy with the car up to this point, but now I won't let my wife drive it on the highway.

I hope Ford is paying attention to this issue and taking us seriously. I think this needs to be a major recall.

One big frustration is that it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, and I already feel like they are going to tell me nothing is wrong. Wish me luck.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #183
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
Not to worry! I recently had my car in for the wiper recall and the steering TSB. They replace the steering rack. I thought my Ti was great before, but it is even better now!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #184
LackofFocus
Focus Rookie

Just a quick update . . .

My car has been at the dealer since Friday. They were open minded and listened to what I had to say, but said they hadn't heard of the problem before. The technician drove it, and "couldn't confirm" that something was wrong. Then, the manager of the service department drove it and said something was absolutely wrong with the steering and they had to fix it.

They emailed the engineers at Ford and they are having them replace the steering gear, which sounds like what other people on the board here have had fixed on their cars.

Hopefully this fixes my car. I miss my Focus!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #185
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LackofFocus View Post
I'm new to this site - I found it by searching for steering problems, and I'm happy to read it's not just me.
I bought a 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback with the 18" wheels about a month ago. I love the car, except for the steering. At first, like many people here, I thought I just needed to get used to a new car... I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, and I already feel like they are going to tell me nothing is wrong. Wish me luck.
Quote:
Just a quick update . . .
My car has been at the dealer since Friday...They emailed the engineers at Ford and they are having them replace the steering gear, which sounds like what other people on the board here have had fixed on their cars.
Hopefully this fixes my car. I miss my Focus!
Hi LackofFocus,

Ohhh...those Focus withdrawals must be excruciating! Not to worry you'll soon be cruising town in no time.

Continue working with your dealer, and shoot me a PM if you need my assistance.

BTW - Congrats on the Focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
Not to worry! I recently had my car in for the wiper recall and the steering TSB. They replace the steering rack. I thought my Ti was great before, but it is even better now!
DEREKC,

Your exhortations are appreciated; keep them coming!

Take care!

Noemi

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #186
68raider
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99429
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 68raider Good Standing Member
steering issue 2012 Focus SEL

Just got home from being towed out of a parking garage and sitting in a tow truck for the last 2 hours. My new focus SEL package 303A would not turn even enough to get out of the parking space that I was in. The car started fine, went forward and backward but the steering was absolutely stiff.

This was not normal. I have owned many cars with and without power steering. I have had cars where the power steering failed... this was not right. As opposed to the other posts, I was not at speed, thank goodness. There was an amber light on, small case i. A few of my co-workers were with me so I know I am not crazy.

When the tow truck got there we started it up and it was fine (of course). We'll see what the dealership has to say tomorrow.
Can anyone share their experiences with this being resolved or not being resolved.
I am pretty unhappy considering my car has less than 1200 miles on it.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #187
LackofFocus
Focus Rookie

I got my Focus back yesterday and it's like I have a brand new car. The steering is COMPLETELY different. I noticed the difference as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot. The dealer replaced the gear, as well as reprograming the transmission. I can now drive down the highway with one hand and I don't have to wrestle the steering wheel with both hands. I think my car was worse off before than I was willing to admit. You never want to admit these things with a brand new car, but something was certainly wrong.

I'm very happy with the service department at Groove Ford in Centennial, CO. They listened to me and were open minded, and the manager of the service department personally drove my car to verify the problem.

The moral of the story? If you have a 2012 Focus and are fighting the steering at all, take it into the dealer, because something is wrong.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #188
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68raider View Post
Just got home from being towed out of a parking garage and sitting in a tow truck for the last 2 hours. My new focus SEL package 303A would not turn even enough to get out of the parking space that I was in. The car started fine, went forward and backward but the steering was absolutely stiff.This was not normal...
Hi 68raider,

I'm Ford's friendly customer service rep on the forum. I'll be happy to escalate the steering issue to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Please send me a PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number to begin the process.

Quote:
I got my Focus back yesterday and it's like I have a brand new car. The steering is COMPLETELY different...
I'm very happy with the service department at Groove Ford in Centennial, CO. They listened to me and were open minded, and the manager of the service department personally drove my car to verify the problem.
The moral of the story? If you have a 2012 Focus and are fighting the steering at all, take it into the dealer, because something is wrong.
This is a great update and accolade, LackofFocus! I'm sure your fellow posters will take your advice.

Take care!

Noemi

Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #189
KaputtEqu1pment
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91122
What I Drive: 2012 Triple Plat White Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 KaputtEqu1pment Good Standing Member
Lucky you. One steerin column and 5 alignments later, my stuff is still not actin right
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #190
bruced
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101688
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 bruced Good Standing Member
My 2012 Focus SE Hatchback with the sport appearance package has the "ZIG-ZAG" steering issue. It is quite severe. I have a large motor home that I would rather drive in a cross wind than this Focus at 60-65 mph. My dealer has diagnosed the problem and has a new steering gear on order - which has been on back order for over a month. Ford has even agreed to give me a loaner until the parts are available.

Natasha, this needs to be fixed ASAP. I bought this car for good fuel ecomony and a sporty feel. I can provide more information if needed.

I would content that this is a much more serious problem than is being discussed. I am not looking forward to when the weather gets snowy or icy. The car is a handful on dry, clean roads.

Bookmarks & Social Networks