2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #121
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Well to eliminate the notion that this is normal....I drove a 3rd Focus today on the same exact 40 mile route to work and it doesn't exhibit the same problem. So now I can tell myself I wan't overthinking the steering of the car. We are sending it to the shop to see what they say, hopefully Ford doesn't give them a hard time since it's out of the TSB manufacture date range. Looks like these things are still going out with some steering problems.

Natasha---I will contact you if/when applicable. Thanks.
Forget about a TSB. They make the tech's job easier, it should have no effect on determining if your complaint is normal or abnormal. If its abnormal, they will figure it out. It may not be as quick or accurate as something that DOES have a TSB to direct the tech....but they will eventually figure it out nonetheless.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #122
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I don't know the skinny on this TSB but keep in mind the electronic power steering system has a feature that is intended to lessen the effort required by the driver to compensate for road crown. The system will, by way of your restraint control module accelerometers, determine when the vehicle is traveling in a straight line. If it sees that the wheel must continuously be held a few degrees of center to maintain this straight path, the module will accomodate by electrically providing a "center feel" to the wheel when it's tilted. In other words, the electronic steering will hold the wheel off center to keep the vehicle traveling in a straight line. Because this is something never before done in a conventional hydraulic assist steering system, some people complain about it and incorrectly assume there is a malfunction.
No, this is not what it's about. A number of Focus' have gone out, and the EPAS fights the driver, in the on-centre position. They want to make a slight correction to the steering, and the EPAS fights it... and so they apply more force at the wheel rim -- and then it breaks free (but it overcompensates). Same thing happened to a number of '09 and '10 Toyota Corolla's with EPAS.

It does not happen to all Focus' -- it is hard to tell how many it does affect.

There is a TSB out on the issue, and it would appear to indicate a before and an after build date. However, some have experienced the issue even after the claimed "OK After" build date. The TSB calls for a steering rack replacement, and apparently some of the single-use bolts, / etc.

Finally, it happens, usually, after a period of time at highway speeds. Sometimes its intermittent.

It most decidedly is not pull / drift control, functioning in a normal manner function. But it could be these functions, gone awry.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #123
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Forget about a TSB. They make the tech's job easier, it should have no effect on determining if your complaint is normal or abnormal. If its abnormal, they will figure it out. It may not be as quick or accurate as something that DOES have a TSB to direct the tech....but they will eventually figure it out nonetheless.
Oftentimes the dealer does not experience the issue first-hand ('cause it's intermitten) and then calls the car normal.

Now I'm sure that dealerships deal with all kinds of customers, including those who are imagining stuff -- but also, they in some circumstances, seem to say "if I can't feel it, it is operating as designed". This whole issue is an intermittent / after a while at speed kind of thing.

As a further point, even in an on-line forum, those folks who have not experienced the issue on their own car, discount those people who claim they have a problem. It's hard to know just how widespread this issue is.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #124
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Update: They are replacing the steering rack in the Focus I drove (built October). Although out of the TSB date range, it was expericing the same issue as the earlier builds. Sounds like the issue has not been fully resolved on newly built cars from the factory. Hopefully they will revise the TSB date range for those dealers that are sticklers on this type of thing.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #125
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90592
What I Drive: 2012 titanium 5door

Points 444, Level 8
Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cardoc1 Good Standing Member
Unhappy

I picked up my Titanium 5 door on Nov 8 with 2 miles on the odometer. It had a build date of Oct 25. Looks great,fit and finish is on par with the best of the Europeans. I decided to take it on a 100 mile road trip to Sacramento. That's when I discovered a major problem. I too couldn't keep it going in a straight line. I had to constantly saw at the wheel. By the time I arrived at my destination my arms and shoulders hurt so much that I could hardly move them. I went to the Dealer yesterday. They drove it and couldn't find anything wrong. They knew about the TSB for the cars built before 8/1. The service manager said he would contact Ford and get back to me. I feel that they are trying to make me happy, we'll see
Old 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #126
jjessop
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91332
What I Drive: 2012 White se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jjessop Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc1 View Post
I picked up my Titanium 5 door on Nov 8 with 2 miles on the odometer. It had a build date of Oct 25. Looks great,fit and finish is on par with the best of the Europeans. I decided to take it on a 100 mile road trip to Sacramento. That's when I discovered a major problem. I too couldn't keep it going in a straight line. I had to constantly saw at the wheel. By the time I arrived at my destination my arms and shoulders hurt so much that I could hardly move them. I went to the Dealer yesterday. They drove it and couldn't find anything wrong. They knew about the TSB for the cars built before 8/1. The service manager said he would contact Ford and get back to me. I feel that they are trying to make me happy, we'll see
Cardoc, exact same issue here! Got our SE in mid October and drove to Sacramento on the same route you did, 680/80 from Castro Valley and I was a mess when we got there. It takes some time to develop and the road needs to be straight for the oscillations to kick in. I would not take the car to LA on hwy 5 until this is resolved. Will be making my first try at getting this and other issues fixed at the dealer next week.

-jerry
Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #127
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90592
What I Drive: 2012 titanium 5door

Points 444, Level 8
Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cardoc1 Good Standing Member
I drove it on the freeway today for about 40 miles, it seems to be getting better. I;m only at 300 miles on the odometer. The stiffnes in the wheel appears to to have disapperd , I can now make fine corrections with over correcting. I will wait until 1000 miles and see if the trouble reapears.
(I have to get a spelling checker)
Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #128
texas75218
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90127
What I Drive: 2012 frosted glass

FF Reputation: 1 texas75218 Good Standing Member
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Has anyone experienced this in a car that was built after the 8/1/11 TSB date? I have been driving another Focus that was built 10/11 and it seems to be experiencing the steering problem as discussed here.

Sometimes it is fine, and then I will be driving down a straight highway and it seems like I am constantly adjusting the steering wheel, and it has a "lump" at the center that you have to push through when you are doing small corrections on at highway speeds. It is very exhausting.

When I drive my original car, which was built last April (which didn't have the steering issue) I do not notice this. I drive the same sections of highway 5 days a week for 80 miles every day with both cars and there is something different with the newer car.
Yes there are a number of ones after that build date with the issue.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #129
yamahacreeker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89010
What I Drive: 2012 race red focus

FF Reputation: 1 yamahacreeker Good Standing Member
Just think what it would be if all of you lived in a snowy state and had to drive your focus in the snow and ice and this probblem was happening to you..... you would be in the ditch upside down. Glad its fixed
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #130
drvudoo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89975
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 drvudoo Good Standing Member
Mine was made on 8/15. I had the issue. After the first trip to the service dept. They did a realignment. This help the dead zone. It did not resolve the issue of over correction. After 3K the ride has gotten harder and the event that initiates the over correction has diminish but not totally gone away. Thanks to Natasha it's at a dealership Ford has more comfort dealing with. If you are in the San Diego area Pearson Ford in Kearny Mesa has the nicest front end service department I've been in. I will hopefully get my car back today. I'll report back in a couple of weeks to let you guys know if the issue is resolved.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.