Recurring starting issues with my ford focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
newbeing07
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 212081
What I Drive: 2012 black ford focus titanium

Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 newbeing07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Recurring starting issues with my ford focus

I'm hoping someone can offer some insight...
I've had ongoing issues with the transmission and clutch since purchasing new. The clutch has been replaced twice and the transmission has been reprogrammed 4 or 5 times now (within 35, 000)
Now I'm experiencing the car randomly not starting (4 times within the past 2 months.) I've had the battery tested numerous times and I'm told that all is well with the battery.
Here are the symptoms occurring:
-dashboard lights up, all symbols, etc.
-radio and heater can work
-headlights do not go on, but other lights do
-no sound when attempting to start the car, no cranking
** Car will usually start right up again the next day and run fine for a couple of weeks until next random occurrence
I've been told to have the car towed to the dealer when this happens, but unfortunately like today ( Saturday afternoon) the techs are all gone for the weekend.
My factory warranty just ran out and I have an extended warranty, buts many things aren't covered with this... and I was told that I may end up paying out of pocket for repairs if they don't fall under the extended warranty.
I could have the car towed today and left there until Monday morning when the techs are back, but more than likely my car will start right up again by then, and perhaps no symptoms for the techs to go by...
Please help with any info!!! Up to my ears with frustration over this vehicle and Ford has offered no help, just a crummy trade in on a new car...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,797, Level 73
Points: 12,797, Level: 73 Points: 12,797, Level: 73 Points: 12,797, Level: 73
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Welcome!

Moved this to a MkIII problems section where you can find more info. & get some responses.

Meagan, the Ford rep. who checks in here can help with any Ford warranty help that might apply. Don't now your total mileage, power train to 60k and the TCM that might be involved to 80k for example other than the cluth/seals/programming thing to 100k. If the extended is from Ford you can get help with that as well.

TCM issues might be involved, the trans needs to shift into the right configuration for starting and sometimes that doesn't happen right (the noises you hear after opening the door). There are a few other oddities folks here have learned about, like it won't start if you wait too long after turning it on before starting - need to start the cycle over again before it'll work.

Some good videos in stickies here for more info., plus that from older threads. Even a poor ground for the battery cable can make the trans. not work right intermittently.

Luck finding a solution!

S.R. #275 Focus Takeover #003
Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
newbeing07
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thanks for the info, sailor! The mileage is 40,000... I've had my car into the shop so many times with the first time being 2 days after purchase and the second time being at 220 miles.

The car has spent many days in the shop, but Ford tells me that I do not meet the guidelines for replacement or buy back. I purchased the car with 7 miles on it, yet I've never had the luxury of reliability with it. I'm sad to say that my experience with this car has been just short of a nightmare... and unfortunately my money was spent on this car. Not much left to take Ford up on their offer of a trade-in on a new car, along with a needed car loan because of poor trade-in offer...
Old 01-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,388, Level 36
Points: 3,388, Level: 36 Points: 3,388, Level: 36 Points: 3,388, Level: 36
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeing07 View Post
I'm hoping someone can offer some insight...
I've had ongoing issues with the transmission and clutch since purchasing new. The clutch has been replaced twice and the transmission has been reprogrammed 4 or 5 times now (within 35, 000)
Now I'm experiencing the car randomly not starting (4 times within the past 2 months.) I've had the battery tested numerous times and I'm told that all is well with the battery.
Here are the symptoms occurring:
-dashboard lights up, all symbols, etc.
-radio and heater can work
-headlights do not go on, but other lights do
-no sound when attempting to start the car, no cranking
** Car will usually start right up again the next day and run fine for a couple of weeks until next random occurrence
I've been told to have the car towed to the dealer when this happens, but unfortunately like today ( Saturday afternoon) the techs are all gone for the weekend.
My factory warranty just ran out and I have an extended warranty, buts many things aren't covered with this... and I was told that I may end up paying out of pocket for repairs if they don't fall under the extended warranty.
I could have the car towed today and left there until Monday morning when the techs are back, but more than likely my car will start right up again by then, and perhaps no symptoms for the techs to go by...
Please help with any info!!! Up to my ears with frustration over this vehicle and Ford has offered no help, just a crummy trade in on a new car...
Welcome to the forum!

I'm happy to look into some additional assistance. A diagnosis is key to determining next steps, and I completely understand how tricky it is to get to the dealer with certain concerns. Once you have an appointment set up, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
...Meagan, the Ford rep. who checks in here can help with any Ford warranty help that might apply...
Thanks sailor!

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
newbeing07
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Hi,

I was finally able to get the car home yesterday afternoon... it started as if nothing was wrong. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning on an emergency basis, so I'm waiting to hear from them....
Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
newbeing07
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Hi Meghan,

Would you like dealer name and my info via email?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
newbeing07
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Just spoke with Ford customer relations... evidently, dealerships are very backed up attempting to fix the transmission problems, sometimes up to 1 month...

I need a dependable vehicle to get to work... I don't know if my car will even be looked at today and I need to go to work tomorrow!!! Offer a rental car, Please!!!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
newbeing07
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
UPDATE

I received a call from service saying that my car was fixed, so I had to wait for the service shuttle to pick me up and take me back over to the dealer. We got there when all of the techs were already gone.

Here are the repairs listed:

FOUND TCM INOP
CODES U0101-U0100
TECH PERFORMED PCM TEST AUTO TRANS DIAG AND PINPOINT TEST
REPLACED TCM AND PERFORMED CLUTCH LEARING

( this is the 2nd replacement clutch installed 8/2014 )

They brought my car around and handed me the key. When I tried to start the car there was a very odd noise and I shut the car off. I again started the car… this time there was hesitation and then another odd noise, so I shut the car off again.

I went back into the service area for help and the only person available was the service manager. He tried to start the car several times, but it would not start… no sound or crank, although all of the lights came on- the same as when my car broke down 2 days ago.

He moved the gear shifter around several times and then tried to start again. This time all of the lights in the car flickered and then everything went black… the car totally died.

He stepped out of the car looking shocked and told me to go and get myself a rental on them.

I was told that the car was fixed and almost drove off of the lot. It was dark out and the temp outside was 27 degrees with a wind chill of 12 degrees. The dealership is located on a 6 lane, very busy highway… and I could have broken down on that busy highway in the freezing cold… very frightening!

I purchased this car new on 8/27/12 and had it in for overnight trans repairs starting on 8/29/12… 2 days after purchase. The second time in was 4 or 5 days after purchase… and kept for 10 days.

I have had the car into service for the transmission so many times its ridiculous, yet Ford tells me that I do not qualify for buyback or replacement, that I don't meet the guidelines. Well tonight was the last straw and the icing on the cake, so to say. TIME TO CONSULT A LEMON LAW ATTORNEY IN PA.

I’m honestly scared to step foot back into this car, and I believe that its been proven that this car cannot be fixed. I have had the cars 2 years and 4 months, and I have been trying to get the transmission fixed and working properly for most of those 2 years and 4 months.

I battled with Ford for nearly 2 months to do something to help me with this car. it took weeks for someone to call me after sending a registered letter and then my info kept getting passed around to someone else. No one was returning my almost daily calls to them. I was always promised a return call, but they would never come.
I left voicemail after voicemail and didn't receive a return call from a regional manager until my complaint was literally walked down and dumped onto her desk while I was still on the phone with the customer relations rep. My treatment from Ford has been absolutely disgraceful and I've now had my fill.

ITS TIME THAT FORD STEP UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS CAR AND ALL OF THE PROBLEMS, WORK LOSS AND HEARTACHE THAT HAS COME ALONG WITH THIS PURCHASE.

THIS DIREGARD FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS HAS TO STOP.

If a PA LL attorney reads this post and would like to get involved and help me, please feel free to contact me asap!!! Thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
newbeing07
Focus Rookie

Points 30, Level 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
FILED 2nd COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA TODAY AND HOPING THAT SOMEONE WILL PAY ATTENTION AND DO SOMETHING TO HELP.

Called and opened a 3rd case with Ford yesterday and called again today... no return call from Ford, but this is what I have experience with them in the past.

Dreading the phone call from service that will eventually come telling me to come and pick up my car. Temps in the 20s this week and can't handle the thought of breaking down again.

Losing sleep over this nightmare...
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,388, Level 36
Points: 3,388, Level: 36 Points: 3,388, Level: 36 Points: 3,388, Level: 36
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeing07 View Post
Hi Meghan,

Would you like dealer name and my info via email?
Thanks for all the updates. I'm unable to work with customers via email, only the forums I'm on.

I see you mentioned having a case open, if you send that to me via PM, I can look into it, however, once you begin working with legal advisers, as mentioned in another post, I won't be able to assist further.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.