pushing it - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
smokestakz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88255
What I Drive: 11, white, se with sport pack

FF Reputation: 1 smokestakz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
pushing it

this car has amazing grip for a 16k ride...with its present 140hp the under steer is not really noticeable. now from my experience, a fwd car cant handle much more than 200-220 hp without causing the car to plow into a ditch instead of actually turning...on the stock suspension with maybe a small lowering kit (maybe an inch or so, don't really want to ruin the drive ability when i'm just heading to the gas station) and some low pro wheels n tires, what is the max amount of power that this chassis can truthfully handle?...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,778, Level 68
Points: 10,778, Level: 68 Points: 10,778, Level: 68 Points: 10,778, Level: 68
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Confused what you mean, because you can easily run a lot of power on a FWD car with a proper suspension setup and LSD.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Its all about tuning the suspension to get a neutral handling car. A limited slip differential can also help the car pull through the corner under hard acceleration instead of just spinning the inside wheel.

Also though power doesn't have everything to do with how a car handles through a corner. Just because if has that power doesn't mean your using it. Often the fastest way through a corner is to carry momentum through it while modulating the throttle, not just powering straight through it.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
*Moved to the correct forum*

And you'll probably get more answers for this specific question from guys in this forum who actually road race their cars.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 27,586, Level 98
Points: 27,586, Level: 98 Points: 27,586, Level: 98 Points: 27,586, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
next question is, are you road or rally, cause you said ditch, which kinda throws me for a loop

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
smokestakz
Focus Rookie

guess i wasn't too clear, i apologize. for the main questions, road not rally, i do some racing so i understand throttle control...and i just want more pep...this is my everyday car so i'm not going to rip it down to the block and start dumping money in it...and besides some stiffer bushings, a slight drop of no more than a inch or so, better wheels and tires and a disc upgrade for the rear, i don't plan on modding the suspension too heavy...so the same question, with all that taken into account, what would be a number to shoot for that would push the stock setup but not break it..i know that all the above, if completed will drastically reflect on my times (i have a few roads here in indy that we can do time trials). and i'm mechanic and suspension guy so i understand what you are all saying..except for the fact that my focus came with a lsd...first fwd car i've had that has it and i love it...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
smokestakz
Focus Rookie

ok not drastically, more like noticeably..lol..and yea i know you can plant 300+ on a lsd, but just because you can doesn't mean i should.....remember, everyday car...this thing already likes to cut the tires loose in a 180 turn (when im acting stupid)...and im not shooting for straight line speed as much as powering through bends...this would be my first half build so i really just need some do's and do nots....
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Your car came with an LSD? Which one?

Honestly the best bang for your buck for what you want to achieve is a set of really good tires.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 27,586, Level 98
Points: 27,586, Level: 98 Points: 27,586, Level: 98 Points: 27,586, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
if u bought ur car new, it doesn't have an LSD. all focuses came w/ open diffs. (i can't say for the new 2012's, but if you have a pre-'12, then unless someone put it in for you as in the previous owner, it didn't come w/ one.

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
blueovaldave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84022
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid Grey ZX3 S2

FF Reputation: 1 blueovaldave Good Standing Member
If you looking to make the car turn what kind of Focus are we talking about? Sedan, ZX3 or what?

My setup goes like this Koni customer dual adjustables, H&R race springs on front with SVT front sway bar. Rear is Konis again with 550 Ground Controls and adjustable sway bar.

I am not the best on the boards or anything but running open time trials I am usually top 10 car with EMRA and usually top 4 or 5 with SCCA DC.

I am running 260 Whp with PWSC.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.