How to: Clean a Zetec IAC - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #31
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
That's exactly what I did. More time putting it back on than taking it off. I had the battery disconnected so I'll have to let it cycle through. It idled high on startup as expected. Then a few hours later it didn't want to idle at all. I haven't let it run more than a few minutes. I know that's not sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #32
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

I don't know what's happening now. I went to move the car last night. I soon as the key was in the "run" position, the engine cooling fans came on. The car would not idle at all when started. I went for a 2 minutes ride around the block. When I put the car in park it idles at 800-900 RPM. After the battery disconnect, it should idle high for at least 20 miles. I just tried the car this morning and it barely idled at all. When I kick the throttle, it stalls on decelaration. The fans kicked on again after the 3rd or 4th stall. I disconnected the battery and I'll let it sit for a while and see what happens. All I touched was the IACV to try and clean it.
No codes shown or codes pending. Hasn't been run long enough to cycle. It's as if the car didn't reset itself at all.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #33
FocusedSlayer
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Kinda sounds like the IAC has stopped working , after you take the battery cable off and let everything reset. When you put the cable back on it should have a high idle at start up until it gets to normal operating temperature then drop down where it needs to .
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedSlayer View Post
Kinda sounds like the IAC has stopped working , after you take the battery cable off and let everything reset. When you put the cable back on it should have a high idle at start up until it gets to normal operating temperature then drop down where it needs to .
That's what it did on initial startup after the battery was reconnected iacv reinstalled. 4 hrs later and again this morning it wouldn't run at startup worth a damn. I just went for a 3-4 mile drive and it ran and idled okay. It was warmed up by then though. Although it's running about 200-300 lower RPM than ever before. I don't have the time today to take the iacv out. It took forever yesterday with those damn bolts and location. I would have just left the battery alone in the first place, but I hit the starter with my ratchet and scared the crap out of me when it sparked.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #35
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

I disconnected the battery again and it won't reset. Goes right to low idle and stalls out if I don't keep my foot in it. It took a few minutes to get going for work this morning. Same thing when I left work. I'm getting a Delphi IACV delivered tomorrow. Exhaust is popping like crazy on decel and the exhaust smells. Not rotten eggs, I have no cat. The exhaust tone has changed also. It had a nice deep tone ( Borla catback ) Now it just sounds ratty.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #36
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
@xecutionr (OP): Thank you VERY much for posting this thread last year! I appreciate it heavily.

My short story:
I have been running through my own preventative maintenance checklist, and the IAC valve was on it.
However: I have never known where the actual IAC valve was on the Zetec engine. Nor what it looked like (exactly).
Thanks to this thread: I now know! And especially thanks to my_beautious_ZX3 for uploading (high-quality!) photographs of it.

I will quite potentially upload a short video demonstrating the removal, and installation of the IAC valve now, and include a short picture tutorial.
But for now: I have only taken before, and after pictures of my own IAC valve (cleaned with Throttle Body cleaner).

Here they are!!
- BEFORE: http://imgur.com/a/wY9G5#0
- AFTER: http://imgur.com/a/gEQ16#0

Thanks again! The idle feels surprisingly different. Not substantially, but definitely noticeable.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #37
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

My cleaning job didn't do a thing for me. I ended up replacing it, and it's been running fine. I should have just replaced it to begin with because it was no good. You never know until you try cleaning it first.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91777
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 PWGuy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
@xecutionr (OP): Thank you VERY much for posting this thread last year! I appreciate it heavily.

My short story:
I have been running through my own preventative maintenance checklist, and the IAC valve was on it.
However: I have never known where the actual IAC valve was on the Zetec engine. Nor what it looked like (exactly).
Thanks to this thread: I now know! And especially thanks to my_beautious_ZX3 for uploading (high-quality!) photographs of it.

I will quite potentially upload a short video demonstrating the removal, and installation of the IAC valve now, and include a short picture tutorial.
But for now: I have only taken before, and after pictures of my own IAC valve (cleaned with Throttle Body cleaner).

Here they are!!
- BEFORE: http://imgur.com/a/wY9G5#0
- AFTER: http://imgur.com/a/gEQ16#0

Thanks again! The idle feels surprisingly different. Not substantially, but definitely noticeable.
It would be great to have a video walkthrough - please let us know when it's uploaded and where!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGuy View Post
It would be great to have a video walkthrough - please let us know when it's uploaded and where!
I will definitely do it when I have time this week.

For now: I found a rather good picture from another forum post linked on this forum:

You can clearly see the two bolts (the top one is hidden from view from under the vehicle).
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #40
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGuy View Post
Here you go! I posted it on YouTube. I finally had some time off of work today.
I had finals in college on the 12th yesterday, and between two full time jobs, I don't have much time!

I didn't actually remove it from the vehicle, but I did CLEARLY point out where the x2 8mm screws are at (I called them bolts; Sorry).
I also gave some extra information on what to do next (such as hoisting it up by the cables from the top, and the oil filter).

Here's the video / link:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RadB8iKzs5k
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Enjoy! I SERIOUSLY! Hope this helps someone! I also have videos now on removing/replacing the base shifter plate, PCV valve, EGR valve, IAC valve (above), and others.

Bookmarks & Social Networks