2012 Moon roof leaking - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
JohnnyDenver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86064
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 JohnnyDenver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I suspect moon roofs leak more than people know, but the drainage system takes care of it. Like i said, you'd never know it from sitting in the vehicle - only when i shined a flashlight into the crevice up inside the headliner did i notice the drips.

when researching the issue online, there are a fair amount of experienced folks who claim that moonroofs leak a bit in general, and that the drains do their thing and nobody notices. Hard to accept, but might be the way it is.

I am so leary of human error at dealerships i think i'll let the drains do their thing and not worry. not a lot of precip. here in denver anyway (except for this week's record breaking rain amounts).

then, just maybe, the 'ol TSB's will start rolling in for 2012's and i can get the rattling headliner issue addressed as well...(just heard it for the first time @ 1500 miles)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
The sunroof should not be leaking. The drains are there for when you open a wet sunroof and the water needs to have somewhere to go, or if it's vented when raining. Do not accept sunroofs leak in general.

Laguna Seca Pedals
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i've had moon/sun roofs in all my cars for years and NEVER had one leak in any rain or snow, no matter how torrential the rain was... your leak imo, is not normal and ford should fix it. the dealer that told u 'they all leak' is all wet himself

Right...This isn't correct.

All moonroofs leak. Not one in existence doesn't leak at all. Why don't you notice? Because car manufacturers create channels and drainage spouts so none of that water actually gets into the car.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
JohnnyDenver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
All moonroofs leak. Not one in existence doesn't leak at all. Why don't you notice? Because car manufacturers create channels and drainage spouts so none of that water actually gets into the car.
I'm going with this guy's opinion - not gonna worry unless water is dripping onto my head.

taking a car to the dealer for every little thing will get you more problems, and the techs have barely even seen these new 2012's for oil changes yet.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
JohnnyDenver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
It does gives a sense of more space/light in the car though.
yes, i have grown to like this - the lighting seems off with the shade closed...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
forsche
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87591
What I Drive: 06' Boxster S,12' titanium on order

FF Reputation: 1 forsche Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
I stopped by a dealer and the service guy said facatory roofs leak frequently and not to worry as it is being drained properly and not entering the cabin.
Service Guy blow off, don't take that crap!! I have had a sunroof / moonroof on just about every car I have owned and have never had an issue. I love his statement, "factory roofs leak frequently" is he serious??? He works in the service drive for Ford and just shot himself in the foot. He is in service so he needs to get it fixed!! Maybe it's time for a new service guy or girl.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsche View Post
Service Guy blow off, don't take that crap!! I have had a sunroof / moonroof on just about every car I have owned and have never had an issue. I love his statement, "factory roofs leak frequently" is he serious??? He works in the service drive for Ford and just shot himself in the foot. He is in service so he needs to get it fixed!! Maybe it's time for a new service guy or girl.
Well the service guy *was* correct...but *all* moon roofs leak frequently. Just doesn't matter because the water's channeled pretty carefully.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Right...This isn't correct.

Yep, the gasket is for noise and most of the water, the channels are for what seeps thru. no water gets in the car

http://www.idealsunroof.com/Power_Moonroof.html

Water management theory.

When the glass is all the way forward and in it's "home position", the rubber gasket's primary function is to eliminate noise, and shed most of the rainwater.

Any water that seeps past the rubber gasket is captured into the drain channels, and funneled into one or more of the 4 drain hoses that are leading through through the bottom of the vehicle.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
eric8784
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86785
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 eric8784 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8784 View Post
I took my car in over the weekend because the headliner was rattling. Ford said they would need to order a new one and that I would have to come back when it came in. I picked up my car last night and almost the whole moonroof cover was stained like it was sitting in some sort of water or liquid (we did have a heavy rain over the weekend while they had it). I promptly brought it back to the dealer and they werent sure what caused it but would replace it along with the headliner. I told them that they need to find out what caused it. We will see what happens.
I dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to have the headliner replaced and the mysterious stain on the moonroof shade inspected. I just got a call that the headliner is in but the cause of the stain is still being investigated. Service guy said they think there is a water leak. We'll see what they say tomorrow, thankfully they provide rentals.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
buyusa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102771
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 buyusa Good Standing Member
I have water dripping in at the moon roof also. I'm getting some mixed responses from Ford as to whether this is a leak or a design issue. I have previously owned a Chevrolet with a sunroof and had absolutely no problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks