Cruise Control stopped working - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
botev1912
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87628
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 botev1912 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cruise Control stopped working

Hi,

My cruise control suddenly stopped working. Nothing happens when I try to turn it on. I've checked all the fuses and relays. They look fine. I've checked the brаkе pedal position switch. It works.
One thing that I've found out (and maybe that will give you an idea what could be the problem) is that when the gear box is in every position except park the brake lights are shining high all the time. It doesn't matter if I press the brake pedal or not (they are bright all the time). If the gear is in park position the break lights are working fine. It makes no difference if the headlights are 'OFF' or 'ON' on any of the 2 'ON' positions.

I hope someone had had the same problem before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

Points 626, Level 12
Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
There might be a problem with your hatch wiring umbilicle, in that the wires will break, short and what not and affect your cruise control because there is a short [or whatever] on your brake light circuit

The following is from another poster here and I included his handle

Cruise Control
By 6SPD_soul
I just had some issues with my CC and have sorted that out, but I found there is a really slick self diagnostic procedure for the cruise control. You don't need a diagnostic scanner to do this either, just the car. From what you describe I think the cruise control servo (motor with a spool of cable that controls the throttle body for CC) is bad, but this test will tell you for sure where the problem lies. This self diagnostic test will work on all Foci from 00-05, in addition to many other Ford models in those years.

The test is basically this: you're going to be turning the ignition key on and off repeatedly and then hitting the cruise control buttons quickly in a specific sequence, and then the cruise control light will blink repeatedly, and the number of blinks tells you where the fault is. It's easy to do once you get it sorted in your head and you won't mess anything up if you don't get it right the first time.

If it's a manual, don't depress the clutch. If it's an automatic leave it in park. First, turn the ignition to the accessory/run position but don't start it. Press and hold the CC off switch and then repeatedly turn the ignition from run to off and back to run again, you should do this 3 or 4 times. End this sequence with the ignition in the run position and then let go of the off switch, and you should see your CC light blink once, which means it's ready to run the self diagnostic. If it flashes 5 times at this point then it's a faulty speed control module, which is that servo I mentioned above. Quickly after the light blinks (like a second after), you then need to hit the other cruise control buttons in this order, and you will need to hit them fairly quickly for the test to proceed:

1. On
2. Resume
3. Coast
4. Set/accel

The CC light should blink once after each button you hit. Kind of take your time hitting the buttons and it's easier to keep track of the flashes, which is important at the end because you need to count the number of flashes that come after you hit "set". There won't be an immediate flash after you hit "set", there will be a slight delay, and then will come another short series of flashes. This next part is all verbatim (except for the parenthesis) from the Ford guide I'm translating here.

0 Flashes (no flash after last button is pushed): suspect circuitry or speed control steering wheel switches.
1 Flash: Static test passed (cruise control should work)
2 Flashes: BPP (brake pedal position) switch is damaged, circuit is damaged, or the brake or clutch pedal was applied during test.
3 Flashes: Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged.
4 Flashes: Indicates the speed signal circuit is open or damaged (wheel speed sensors, ETC)
5 Flashes: Suspect circuitry or module.

So I guess try to run the test. It's pretty quick and easy once your thumbs get the button sequence down. Then you should at least have a better idea where the problem is coming from. Post back here with results, I'm curious where the problem is for you. Mine was the brake deactivation switch which I'm putting in soon.

Yeah, the above was my post and you should run the test, but there is a vehicle speed sensor that reads off of the transmission and is a crucial part of the cruise control. That would be the likely point of trouble if you just had the transmission replaced. Everything I wrote in parenthesis about the flashes was my interpretations and I can no longer alter the post, wheel speed sensors don't affect cruise control operation but a vehicle speed sensor would.

The cruise control servo sits at the back of the engine and is fairly protected, shouldn't have been affected unless somebody were reckless changing the transmission.

Do the self diagnostic and see what you get from it.
Check the switches attached to the brake pedal, and clutch pedal if you have a manual trans. Those switches commonly pop off sometimes for no apparent reason. I have seen it numerous times, so it is just something easy and quick to check.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
botev1912
Focus Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.
I've checked the brake lights again and I've found out that the third brake light is not working at all. After I've opened it I saw that it is burned. I assume that it gave short.
I hope that this is the problem that cause the malfunction of the brake lights circuit and the cruise control.
I've purchased a new third brake light. After I'll install the new third brake light I'll post the result.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
botev1912
Focus Rookie

Hi,

The third brake light is working OK but the problem with the side brake lights is still on.
I've changed the brake light switch and nothing change. I've checked the umbilical cord on the hatch and all the cables are OK. I've made the cruise control self diagnostic test and it showed 3 flashes so that means 'Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged'.
I can't check all the wires so I have to go to the dealer for that.
But I want to try one last thing to check 'the brake deactivation switch'.
Do someone know the position of this switch and how does it look like?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
botev1912
Focus Rookie

Are these 'brake light switch' and 'brake deactivation switch' one and the same switch?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,489, Level 30
Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here's the thread where I originally wrote that self diagnostic writeup http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253080
Further down in the thread I made a longer post about how to access the pedal assembly and assorted switches, and how to identify them. That's bad news about the brake lights still not working, my problem was with the green brake deactivation switch and it didn't affect brake light functions at all so it's unlikely to just be a matter of replacing the switch
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
02ZX5cominalive
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29946
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX5 w/S2 kit

FF Reputation: 3 02ZX5cominalive Good Standing Member
Do any of you think that replacing my 3rd brake light to LED would cause this to happen also? I just replaced the stock bulbs with 2 10" LED strips, top and bottom of lens and now my Cruise won't work. I am going to try the test procedure as listed above, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same?

Totally parted and scrapped.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,027, Level 27
Points: 2,027, Level: 27 Points: 2,027, Level: 27 Points: 2,027, Level: 27
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yes. LED lights do not generate the same resistance as "normal" bulbs do in the electrical circuit. It's been posted on FF before. Add a resistor to the brake circuit. Sorry, no idea what the value of the resistor(s) should be.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

Points 626, Level 12
Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Hmmm
I bet the cruise control senses current
A 12 watt light bulb on 12 volt requires 1 Amp , 24 watt=2 Amp. Also the resistance on an ordinary bulb cannot be measured cold because when current is applied the resistance goes up [Volts x Amps = Watts]
Measure the current, on an ordinary brake bulb using an ammeter section on a multimeter, the scale should be 10 Amps unfortunately this separates the $2 Harbor Freight special from more expensive meters.
Now measure the current from the LED light.
To increase the current you need to place a high wattage resistor in parallel with the LED light. Then you have to figure out a place to stick that resistor so it doesn't melt any plastic etc
You would be a glutton for punishment to go this route better to stick with OEM light bulb
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108491
What I Drive: 2002 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 2 200two-zx3 Good Standing Member
The oem bulb set up melts all the time a led set up would be safer if done correctly
If anyone figures out the resis. Let us all know thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks