Transmission Leak ? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
arrora_1234
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87539
What I Drive: 2000

FF Reputation: 1 arrora_1234 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Leak ?

I saw little bit oily (Black Colour) at the bottom of my Transmission (I hope) as shown in the picture. No dipping and no problem in driving, but I am worried that it is an early sign of an imminent failure. Car model-
Ford Focus SE Wagon 2000
125,000 KM

Transmission Fluid was changed with Motorcraft Markon-V 3 years ago along with filter at 80K KM. I always do oil change with Castrol 5W30 @5K and in winter I put Castrol Full synthetic 5W30.

Is this my transmission leaking or engine oil leaking? The colour of the oil is black and areas is just wet, no dipping. It is been like this for last 2 months.
I will greatly appreciate any expert suggestion to fix it.

AR

Last edited by arrora_1234; 07-07-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Photo link added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
bflesher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84132
What I Drive: 2002 sangria red zx3, 02 yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 bflesher Good Standing Member
As long as the fluid levels okay I would not worry to much.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
arrora_1234
Focus Rookie

Look at the picture I just uploaded. I am really worried. Is it a transmission fluid or engine oil leak ? It is black and oily...so definitely not coolent.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
For pete's sake.......you've got to help yourself on this. It appears that the leak could be originating from above. I don't think it's tranny fluid, mind you. Have you at least opened the hood and checked yourself for leaks from the camshaft cover etc. Check the simple things first. This is difficult to troubleshoot simply from a photo. It's a very slow leak whatever it is. Clean it all off and after a few days check for signs of "fresh" fluid. This is a SPI, correct?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
Diesel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86584
What I Drive: 99 zx2, 04 focus wife's car

FF Reputation: 2 Diesel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
it's oil leak. it's probally comming from the upper base pan/windeage tray there is a gasket between it and the rear main seal that leaks on these.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
bflesher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84132
What I Drive: 2002 sangria red zx3, 02 yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 bflesher Good Standing Member
I would file that in the "not a problem" file. If fluid levels are fine then don't worry.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
woodyg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86430
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3,Zetec, Black, AC, Moonroof

FF Reputation: 1 woodyg Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrora_1234 View Post
Look at the picture I just uploaded. I am really worried. Is it a transmission fluid or engine oil leak ? It is black and oily...so definitely not coolent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
For pete's sake.......you've got to help yourself on this. It appears that the leak could be originating from above. I don't think it's tranny fluid, mind you. Have you at least opened the hood and checked yourself for leaks from the camshaft cover etc. Check the simple things first. This is difficult to troubleshoot simply from a photo. It's a very slow leak whatever it is. Clean it all off and after a few days check for signs of "fresh" fluid. This is a SPI, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
it's oil leak. it's probally comming from the upper base pan/windeage tray there is a gasket between it and the rear main seal that leaks on these.
there was more grease on my burger I ate last night.......that being said.....I agree with the idea of doing some looking of your own...I keep all my vehicles engine compartments and suspensions clean......that way if there is a leak starting I can tell where it is coming from...I think your tstat housing is right above that "leak".....they fail and leak a little coolant and along with a leaky VC gasket and maybe some from the rear main-seal.....could be contributing to it.............clean it all up first..

did you buy the car new?

some people have had very good luck with a Auto-rx treatment.........do some research about auto-rx
2002 Focus ZX3, Zetec 2.0, Auto, 106k. RECENT WORK= 5w-20 , Coil, T-stat housing and flush, Autolite APP5364, new steering Rack, full tuneup, tranny filter swap and fluid exchange. SOLD(Grandma gave my kid her Camry. I really liked the zx3 )
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
arrora_1234
Focus Rookie

Thank you all for overwhelming suggestions. I will clean the area this weekend and try to locate the origin of the leak and report you back. Yes... it is SPI engine and I been driving this car for last 3 years.

RA
Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Medicus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 157842
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Medicus Good Standing Member
Any updates on what was going on with your transmission. Mine is leaking from the same spot. Mine was a lot cleaner but I was able to tell it was coming out of a small opening in the transmission and under where your picture was taken there is like a vent hole that its leaking from also. It leaks about a quarter size a day without even driving it. I also just changed the fluid so it was up to full not over.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's most likely a small seepage leak coming from the rear main seal. Not concerning unless it starts losing enough fluid between oil changes to need to add more, or the small spots on your driveway are a concern.

Bookmarks & Social Networks