duratec swap faq and answers - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
myfafp3
zetec 2 duratec swap

Fan#: 59725
What I Drive: 2000 Cloud9 Sport Saloon

FF Reputation: 5 myfafp3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
duratec swap faq and answers

So I've seen a lot of people posting questions about swapping a duratec into their spi/zetec/svt equipped car. Its doable with time, patience, sweat, and money to buy band-aids. I've personally done the zetec to duratec swap. Its running and driveable. I'm doing this write up to highlight my discoveries and "mythbust" some rumors.

There are lots of ways to go about doing this swap but the easiest, least headache inducing, cost effective, less time consuming way to do it is to buy a wrecked duratec car that has all the options you want in it. You will need to strip your car from top to bottom inside and out. Then slowly and carefully remove things from the duratec donor car and install them in exactly the same place on your car.

Id recommend removing the front subframe so you can install the fuel line and evap line before you install the new engine. It is a pain to do it once the engine is already in the car. From there you should strip the donor car of its wire harness IN SECTIONS. Why in sections you ask? Its easier to put things where they need to go without having a tangled mess of wires to deal with. The fuel tank/pump has its own part of the harness that runs along the passenger side of the car under the carpet, do that first so you can put the gas tank in. From there you can do the body wire harness which is basically all three or four doors,the seats and the rear lamps/ trunk opener electrical components. Its physically the largest section but the second easiest to identify what clips go where. After that you can choose to do either the engine harness or the dash harness. Those are the most complicated and take the most amount of time due to the sheer number of connections that need to be made. For the engine harness id recommend leaving all of the connectors attached to whatever sensors are on the engine/transmission. It makes error less likely to occur. You should disconnecting the three large connectors that sit above the transmission. This will seperate the engine harness from the dash harness.

Now to the most commonly asked questions and a few over looked items most people don't think about or don't usually see.

"Do I need new motor mounts or can I use my existing ones?"
-you can re-use the drivers side and dog bone mount but the passenger mount is duratec specific just like the svt and zetecs have their own seperate passenger mount. I would personally replace all three so you have all new mounts.

*SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT ENGINE MOUNTS*
Now if you look at a duratec engine bay, then look at a zetec engine bay, you notice the engine mounts all have the same holes drilled into the unibody. One thing I found out after the swap was done is that the engine mounts DO NOT SIT IN THE SAME LOCATIONS. What does that mean? If you want that fswerks turbo kit, that cosworth header, or that o so lovely borla/magnaflow/f2/fswerks exhaust, you will need to do some modifying to make them fit. Putting the duratec in a zetec engine bay means you will lose about 1.25" between the back of the engine and the firewall so take that into account when you notice things don't quite fit right.

"Do I really have to swap out the whole wire harness?"
-short answer...yes...unless you want to repin ~12 different connectors inside and outside of the car.

"Do I use the same axles I had before or duratec specific ones?"
-short answer...use whatever came with that tranny. Automatics use automatics and manuals use manual. Plain and simple.

"Are there any differences between the powersteering pumps/ lines or air conditioning components?"
A few small but important changes:
-Depending on the build date, the high pressure power steering line may have changed for the duratec engine you have. Use the one from the model year your engine came out of. The zetec line WILL NOT WORK nor the spi.
-The power steering pumps themselves look the same but have different pulley sizes.
-the power steering reservoir on the 03-05 duratec uses a seperate bracket that mounts towhere the zetec/spi reservoir sits.
-the 03-05 power steering pumps have seperate reservoirs but the 06 and up cars have the reservoir sitting directly on top of the pump. So if you want to install that amazingly awesome cosworth intake manifold without cutting it up to make it fit, use the pre. 06 power steering pump.
-ac condensor(that thing sitting in front of your radiator)... have not tackled this part yet but they should be the same. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.
-ac compressors are mounted the same BUT the hard line that attaches to it may or may not be mounted in different locations (e.g.: the 03-04 duratec line is mounted on top, my 2000 zetec line mounts on the side)
-there is a sensor that mounts on the ac hardlines for all model focus underneath the passenger side headlight. The early model zetec(possibly spi) uses a different connector than the duratec (arnt u glad u swapped the whole wire harness to avoid this problem?)

"Does the duratec use a different radiator than the zetec/svt/spi?"
Yes. It would be wise to buy it but you can modify the zetec radiator to work. They are physically the same dimensions but the end tanks are different as well as the hoses.

"Can I use the zetec radiator fan shround on the duratec radiator?"
YES. Direct fit. All the electrical connectors are the same.

"Can I reuse the zetec/spi/svt gas tank?"
-I would not recommend it but sure you can. I would use the duratec tank because its metal, physically larger, less complicated to wire, and most importantly the 06and up duratec fuel pumps flow more than any other focus pump (great for boost) and are less likely to fail unlike the zetec units.
-for those of you who decide to go the easy route and use the duratec tank, note that the fuel filler neck on the duratec only has two lines. One for gas to go in and one for vapor to come out of the tank. This requires you to use the evap canister from a duratec car because the zetec (and possibly spi) tank has three or four lines to the canister. Trying to mix and match will throw a cel.
-the fuel tank straps...I'm not sure of this being a universal truth but I know for my 2000 model year the driver side fuel tank strap is not the correct height/length to fit around the duratec tank due to the different shaped tanks. You can buy this for less than $40 brand new from ford or pick one out of a wrecked/donor car for pennies on the dollar.
-using the duratec tank means also using the entire fuel hardline and evap line that runs underneath the car. Not doing this will cause MAJOR HEADACHES.
-06 and up fuel pumps...u should use it. End of story. My 04 duratec fuel pump harness had a square connector. The 06 pump connector is round. What do you do? Pull the pump out and look at what wires go to where on the pumps. Then cut and splice the corresponding wires to each other. Tada there u have it. High flowing pump rewired and in the tank in less than 30 minutes (do this while the tank is out of the car)

That might all sound/look difficult but it really isn't. I did all of that with a $20 tool kit from walmart and some deep sockets.

LET'S TALK AIRBAGS.
Remember when I said you need to swap the entire wire harness? The air bags are the main reason why but there are a few other things I'll get to later. The air bag in the steering wheel on the pre 02 cars uses a different connector than the later models. The later models also have an impact sensor that mounts in the radiator support behind the hood latch. Why does this matter? You want your airbags to deploy properly in an accident and not die that's why.

Emissions equipment:
Now this may or may not matter depending on what state you live in but...

...you must use all of the duratec emissions equipment if you don't want any cel to come on. That includes the evap canister behind the gas tank. The good news is the black cowl on the top of the firewall has all the necessary holes to make this easy. Same thing with the evap canister behind the gas tank. Does it all have to be there and working? No not really you can delete it all with a tune and have no worries.

Vacuum lines, brake systems, various accessories:
There are not a whole lot of things you need to worry about. There is a brake system vacuum hose that is duratec specific but other than that, everything else is dependent on what accessories your car came with. Whatever was in the donor duratec car should be installed in your car.

That is all I can remember off the top of my head this late at night lol. I'm sure there are other things I forgot. Feel free to sticky this and ask any question I will be more than happy to answer them.

SedanRevolution #149
Boosted AUTOMATIC
Embarassing evos on a daily basis.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
zal
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28635
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 1 zal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
do you think its mostly the same for getting one of the 2012 duratecs in an older focus? i have an SPI that will probably die soon and i'd like to see about getting one of the newer 160hp units to replace it
MacBook 2.0 Black
"The Focus looks kinda like a retarded shark with wheels"
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
myfafp3
zetec 2 duratec swap

It would be easier to swap in a 2.5 duratec from a fusion and use the focus head.
SedanRevolution #149
Boosted AUTOMATIC
Old 09-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
smoothfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90190
What I Drive: focus mk1 matt black

FF Reputation: 1 smoothfocus Good Standing Member
hi there ppl im new to this and was wondering, ive got a focus mk1 with 1.6 engine but got a 1.7 puma engine in my garage so was wondering if you could put the puma engine in the focus i cant see a prob as the 1.4 puma engine is the same engine they put in the focus?? any replys would be greatful thanks ppl...
Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
smoothfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90190
What I Drive: focus mk1 matt black

FF Reputation: 1 smoothfocus Good Standing Member
focus engine

hi there im new to all this i was wondering i have a 1.6 focus mk1 buthave a 1.7 puma engine in my garage i was wondering if it would b a straigh swop as the engine in the 1.4 puma is the same engine they put in the focus any help would be greatfull thanks...
Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
myfafp3
zetec 2 duratec swap

A quick edit here. The seat belt buckles are programmed to the specific cars airbag module so if you have the ones from the donor car use them or deal with the dreaded "seat belt" chime.

Another note about using the zetec radiator shroud. You can use it. It works fine and plugs into the same connectors but you will lose a bit of clearance between the fans and the intake manifold. Not a whole lot of space there to begin with but you get the idea.

Fuel pump= use the 06 and up duratec pump. Quite a few of us boosted duratec guys are using stock pumps making in excess of 400hp and not running out of fuel.
SedanRevolution #149
Boosted AUTOMATIC
Old 11-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Tyler T
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42066
What I Drive: two '02 SVT's

Points 974, Level 16
Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Tyler T Good Standing Member
Thanks a lot for putting up this thread
can you tell me more about the differences in the upper gearbox mounts between the duratec and zetec chassis? I'm swapping a built NA D2.3 from an '03 into my '02 SVT rally car.
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Semir
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85484
What I Drive: 01 FlatBlack ZX3 shell, 07 interior

FF Reputation: 1 Semir Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I swapped my 2.0 into a 2000 ford focus..everything went great. The front subframe and rear subframe is needed..no way to place the fuel lines in.

As for the motor mounts, and the engine sitting farther back...I have noticed that the engine sits in the same place as the 2007 shell I pulled it from. The exhaust mounts perfectly, and the engine sits in the same spot...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
md11mx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104613
What I Drive: 2009,ice blue,focus

FF Reputation: 1 md11mx Good Standing Member
I would recommend using a digital camera liberally on projects of this magnitude. It is real cheap insurance for success.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 11,421, Level 70
Points: 11,421, Level: 70 Points: 11,421, Level: 70 Points: 11,421, Level: 70
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 62 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by md11mx View Post
I would recommend using a digital camera liberally on projects of this magnitude. It is real cheap insurance for success.
That helps a lot.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.