Philips DRL Install - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
Josh321
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85263
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Josh321 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tony, thank you so much for posting this detailed account of your install! My kit just arrived from PowerBulbs on Wednesday, and I am looking forward to tackling this project tomorrow morning! I pulled them out of the package to do a dry fit, and I am going to abandon the brackets, too, since the light units appear to fit just perfectly in the opening without them. Based on your experience, do you see any reason why you couldn't just use double-sided tape on the bottom instead of on both sides? Did you use any automotive-specific type of tape? I have some permanent 3M foam double-sided tape. Any reason why that might not work?

I believe if you connect the other wire to the parking light wire, they will shut off when the parking lights come on, but if you connect it to the low beam wire, they will stay on with the parking lights but go off with the low beams. With auto headlights, this would only make a difference if you manually turned on the parking lamps.

PowerBulbs also sent me those free sidelight bulbs. I tried to delete them from the order but couldn't. Are these the same bulb that could go in place of the amber parking lamp at the top of the headlight module (but would be clear obviously)?

Did you happen to identify the parking light and low beam wires (by color) on the headlight wire connector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Nice install! Do you have a link to where you got them from? Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
scottjl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86588
What I Drive: 2012 StrlGry 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 scottjl Good Standing Member
instead of tape have you given any thought to silicone sealant? should hold it in place fine along with sealing up the hole around the light install blocking out air, water, bugs, dirt, etc.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Josh321
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85263
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Josh321 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
Nice install! Do you have a link to where you got them from? Thanks
Tony mentioned this in another thread.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=162

The day I bought them, they were right at 180 USD. I received them about a week after I ordered.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh321 View Post
Tony mentioned this in another thread.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=162

The day I bought them, they were right at 180 USD. I received them about a week after I ordered.

Nice! Thanks!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Doug81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85686
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Doug81 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the write up Tony!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh321 View Post
Tony, thank you so much for posting this detailed account of your install! My kit just arrived from PowerBulbs on Wednesday, and I am looking forward to tackling this project tomorrow morning! I pulled them out of the package to do a dry fit, and I am going to abandon the brackets, too, since the light units appear to fit just perfectly in the opening without them. Based on your experience, do you see any reason why you couldn't just use double-sided tape on the bottom instead of on both sides? Did you use any automotive-specific type of tape? I have some permanent 3M foam double-sided tape. Any reason why that might not work?

I believe if you connect the other wire to the parking light wire, they will shut off when the parking lights come on, but if you connect it to the low beam wire, they will stay on with the parking lights but go off with the low beams. With auto headlights, this would only make a difference if you manually turned on the parking lamps.

PowerBulbs also sent me those free sidelight bulbs. I tried to delete them from the order but couldn't. Are these the same bulb that could go in place of the amber parking lamp at the top of the headlight module (but would be clear obviously)?

Did you happen to identify the parking light and low beam wires (by color) on the headlight wire connector?
I supposed you could use the tape on just one side if you wanted. I did both just to be sure. I was also worried about theft, and with both sides taped it would take a little longer for someone to pry them out. Yes, 3M double-sided tape should work, it doesn't have to be automotive specific as long as whatever size you have works.

I ditched the free bulbs.

As far as the parking/low beam wire, it would probably work best for me to use the low beam. I hardly ever use just the parking lights, and if I did I would want the DRLs to stay on. By hooking the wire up to the low beams I would be assured that any time the lights were on (when it's dark I assume) the DRLs would be off. I haven't identified the wires yet. This is on my list of things to do.

Tony
Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
instead of tape have you given any thought to silicone sealant? should hold it in place fine along with sealing up the hole around the light install blocking out air, water, bugs, dirt, etc.
I suppose one could do this if they were better at making a clean-looking seal with silicone than I am. I'm not, so I didn't. LOL I'm not a big fan of silicone to hold things in place. I use it extensively in audio installs though to fill up holes and stop air leaks. Tape seemed less messy and easier, for me.

Tony
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
mattlqx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87201
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-dr MT Yellow, '13 Boss 302

FF Reputation: 1 mattlqx Good Standing Member
I'm pretty sold on this.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
Tony407
Focus Addict

After washing the Focus tonight I got unexpectedly inspired to hook up the orange wire from the DRL main unit to the low beams so they go off when the lights come on.

The yellow wire with the green stripe is the parking light wire.

The brown wire with the blueish/gray stripe is the low beam wire.

I simply tapped into the brown wire, used an inline 10A fuse, and electrical taped the connections and that was that. Works perfectly. When I turn on the parking lights the DRLs stay on, but when I activate the low beams (manually or on AUTO) the DRLs turn off.

Bookmarks & Social Networks