Intelligent Oil Life Monitor - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #31
Titanium12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It's peace of mind for me to change my oil every 3,000 miles & I do it myself......some
people make their bed everyday.....I don't. To each his own.
Delivery Date: June 29, 2011
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #32
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by redav;
My question is: If you can measure those things the oil affects, and from those measurements detect that the oil is going bad, why can you not measure those things and detect that the oil is NOT going bad? Or, if the computer keeps a log of the measurements, and there is a steady decay with time, it's pretty easy to detect a jump back to the "new oil" measurements, at which time the computer will conclude the oil was changed & resets
These systems are not complicated. They look at the number of miles driven, how many times the car was started. Just those two parameters would tell whether you do hiway or around town driving. Keep track of how many times the car is started and also got up to full operating temperature. Those three bits would provide enough info to calculate when the oil should be changed.

As far as the reset default it has to be at least what they expect the maximum oil change interval could be. Why the chose 20,000 miles; could be they expect better oil in the future that will allow for longer drain intervals and it would be an easier software update if they didn't have to change that constant. I doubt it was sloppy programing.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #33
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium12 View Post
It's peace of mind for me to change my oil every 3,000 miles & I do it myself......some
people make their bed everyday.....I don't. To each his own.
Absolutely! That's one of the reasons in my OP I posted that I didn't want this to diverge into the debate of when to change the oil that often seems to happen. It's like Coke vs Pepsi
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #34
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
How tough is the filter/oil plug to access? My bride's Panzer has a bellypan that is an SOB to remove if the car isn't on a lift, so I finally said the hell with it and let the dealer do it.
She had a Pontiac Bonneville years ago with a filter that you could see with the hood up, but you couldn't actually touch it enough to remove it without taking off a wheel.
Anyway, I'd rather do my own changes; any problems getting at things?
Moon
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #35
Titanium12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86295
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Titanium12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
How tough is the filter/oil plug to access? My bride's Panzer has a bellypan that is an SOB to remove if the car isn't on a lift, so I finally said the hell with it and let the dealer do it.
She had a Pontiac Bonneville years ago with a filter that you could see with the hood up, but you couldn't actually touch it enough to remove it without taking off a wheel.
Anyway, I'd rather do my own changes; any problems getting at things?
Moon
There is a fabric like cover on the bottom of the car held on by 8 torx screws. They are relatively easy to take out except the center one in the middle almost directly below the dash on the very bottom of the car. I jacked the car up a little bit to get that one out........and I am leaving it out since it is such a pain the butt to get out. . All the others are accessible from the front and sides of the car. This is on the bottom of the car for aerodynamics I think since alot of German/European cars have this as well. A little inconvenient but only takes about 3 minutes to get off. Gives the car a very clean look underneath!

The filter is at the front/center of the car. It is in a great spot and hangs completely down.....not sideways or at an angle. Easy to spin off and it isn't touching anything else so oil doesn't run down the side of the block/pan. I like it since it allows you to fill the filter with oil completely before spinning it on allowing for a non "dry start."

The plug is in the center pointing towards the rear of the car. 15mm wrench will get it off.

Both filter and plug are in great spots to allow a clean easy change with little clean up. Ford designed this one right.
Delivery Date: June 29, 2011
Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #36
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Titanium, thnx for the comeback and explanation. I'll have a look at it when my car arrives; the older I get, the less patience I have with boolchit jobs, so I may just let the dealer change it. I used to change oil at 1K (!) and 3K miles, and always changed a new car's oil after 1K. I just won't do that anymore, and it really isn't necessary. My long suffering TJ Jeep gets changed once a year these days since the old girl doesn't see a lot of miles (at 17 mpg....).

As far as the speculation about the oil change monitor, my current Fit has such thing, and I'm sure it is a computer-generated WAG using number of starts/run time and whatever other input all the little 0s and 1s can generate. It is helpful, since you don't have to keep track. My kid's Caliber has two trip odometers, and she zeros the one when I change her oil; when it hits 7K she says '....Daaaaaad...". Of course, being old school, I put a label under the hood too....
Moon
Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #37
scottjl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86588
What I Drive: 2012 StrlGry 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 scottjl Good Standing Member
have to wonder how that under-body fabric cover will last to a WI winter. i'm sure by next spring it will be nasty, torn and need to be removed anyway.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #38
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
I get a free oil change at 3,000 miles and then 1/2 off after that. I'll take advantage of that.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #39
STL 314
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87196
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 2 STL 314 Good Standing Member
Took mine to the dealer today for regular maintenance at 4,500 miles (slightly early) and they had no clue about any oil monitor. They actually asked me if it had one. They had two guys tinkering around the menus trying to figure it out & concluded that my car had no oil monitoring system - neither one you could look up in the menu comp or one they could operate with their equipment. They said if a lights comes on to bring it back. Between that & the crabby cashier I wasn't impressed.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #40
spivonious
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86969
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue ZX3, 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 spivonious Good Standing Member
This video shows how to reset it (starts around 2:00).
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...rd&model=Focus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.