Where to go from here?(DCT issue) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Andy2002a
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 151426
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Andy2002a Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs down Where to go from here?(DCT issue)

Recently I bought a 2012 Focus SE and it's been having DCT issues(shuddering at launch/low speeds). However there's one issue, it's a rebuilt title so the dealer refuses to even touch it.

Is there anywhere besides the dealer where the TCM can be updated? Also I read around that a tune might be able to fix it, if so which one should I look into?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Good luck! Take a look in some other threads to find out more about your issue/concern
Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2002a View Post
Recently I bought a 2012 Focus SE and it's been having DCT issues(shuddering at launch/low speeds). However there's one issue, it's a rebuilt title so the dealer refuses to even touch it.

Is there anywhere besides the dealer where the TCM can be updated? Also I read around that a tune might be able to fix it, if so which one should I look into?
The PCM/TCM calibration (firmware) update is definitely the correct starting point.

What is their reason for refusing to perform a firmware update a car with a rebuilt title?
Have you tried more than one dealer?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The op needs to clarify will they not do it under warranty.. Or not even if you pay for it?

There are a few dealers who do not want to take any sort of chances with any vehicle 'outside' the standard window.. They just do not want to bother. (typically because it is a pita and they lose money/have bad results)
So in that case try another dealer.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Kjanracing
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135409
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red SE hatch with DCT

FF Reputation: 2 Kjanracing Good Standing Member
A properly equipped independent shop can do the updates too. You will pay for it though.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Andy2002a
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 151426
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Andy2002a Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjanracing View Post
A properly equipped independent shop can do the updates too. You will pay for it though.
I don't mind having to pay to fix the issue since I knew what I was getting into when I bought rebuilt. Do you know where I can find any in the Miami area? All the ones that I've checked out aren't capable of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
The op needs to clarify will they not do it under warranty.. Or not even if you pay for it?

There are a few dealers who do not want to take any sort of chances with any vehicle 'outside' the standard window.. They just do not want to bother. (typically because it is a pita and they lose money/have bad results)
So in that case try another dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
The PCM/TCM calibration (firmware) update is definitely the correct starting point.

What is their reason for refusing to perform a firmware update a car with a rebuilt title?
Have you tried more than one dealer?
I thought about doing that because quite frankly everyone I talked to at the dealer I went to (Midway Ford) was an and never gave me straight answer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks