Serp belt tensioner, or belt issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
D-Cell_Mekanick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 82880
What I Drive: Tdi jetta

FF Reputation: 1 D-Cell_Mekanick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Serp belt tensioner, or belt issue

I replaced the serp. and tensioner when I replaced the timing belt on my moms car. I noticed afterwards a rattling noise coming from the engine. Originally it thought it to be the flex pipe, cuz the welds were rusted through and rattled till I squeezed it and pushed up while the engine was running in gear. So today I replaced the pipe, well it still made the noise after pipe replacement! Now I'm pissed! Found the rattle to be the serp belt tensioner! Why though, I changed it when I did. the timing belt ( the bearing had noticable play). The otherday the tensioner broke! I had to change out the tensioner on the side if the road (total suck)!

So today I replace the bad exhaust flex pipe. I also replace the AC compressor that is leaking. At this time I restart the car only to find the rattle
is still there! So now I'm pretty mad, I then relook over the car in gear and neutral. I find when the car is put in gear or the air is turned on in park or gear the serp belt tensioner is hitting it's stops! wtf? idk, so I figure I'd ask hear. Has anyone ever heard of or fixed this issue? thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
duc450
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10651
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SVT CD Silver

FF Reputation: 4 duc450 Good Standing Member
so you replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner? Maybe check to make sure the water pump bolts haven't backed out at all and also check to make sure the idler pulley on the timing belt is not contacting the front cover (if this is a Zetec motor). Does the rattle fo away after getting the RPMS up? Or is it consistent no matter what RPM you are turning? Check the timing belt tensioner too sometimes those tend to rattle a little. Also check to make sure you weren't sold a serpentine belt that was too long. There are probably a few other things to check but thats all that comes to mind now.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
D-Cell_Mekanick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc450 View Post
so you replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner? Maybe check to make sure the water pump bolts haven't backed out at all and also check to make sure the idler pulley on the timing belt is not contacting the front cover (if this is a Zetec motor). Does the rattle fo away after getting the RPMS up? Or is it consistent no matter what RPM you are turning? Check the timing belt tensioner too sometimes those tend to rattle a little. Also check to make sure you weren't sold a serpentine belt that was too long. There are probably a few other things to check but thats all that comes to mind now.
Yes its the Zetec. The serpentine belt tensioner is hitting the stops that's where the noise is coming from. It in my opinion has alot of play. It makes the noise when it is put into gear or when the AC is on in idle. The noise seems to go away when the engine is loaded/revved. I will be working on it again tonight after work. I plan on removing the belt and taking it down to the local Napa to have them measure it. I did cross reference the part number (it's a Gates belt) and it is suposably the correct belt. If all else fails I will change out the belt to see if that helps.

Again if anyone else has run into this problem please post up the repair.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
deezx5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
Any luck on this? I learned the hard way that some belts that are listed to fit the Zetec are not the exact length. Use Motorcraft belt and tensioner if you can, its more expensive but less hassle. Dayco worked fine for me too.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
D-Cell_Mekanick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezx5 View Post
Any luck on this? I learned the hard way that some belts that are listed to fit the Zetec are not the exact length. Use Motorcraft belt and tensioner if you can, its more expensive but less hassle. Dayco worked fine for me too.
I changed the belt again. I did a side by side comparison between the two belts, one was about 1" longer although I can't remember which one now. So far so good, no noise but still keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 35,900, Level 100
Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100 Points: 35,900, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I was also going to say belt length. Good to hear it has stopped for now.

Good luck and hope you fixed your problem with the new belt.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Folis Jones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116500
What I Drive: 2000 Birkin Zetec Racing car

FF Reputation: 1 Folis Jones Good Standing Member
I have a 2000 Birkin Zetec full racing car. At the last track event I came in and found
a nasty rap, kid of like an old Chevy with a loose lifter. We have had the head back into
a reputable racing shop and reconditioned but yet the noise is there. It sounds like it's
coming from the front of the engine. Like one of the other posters did, I changed the
tensioner. I pulled each plug one at a time to see if the noise stopped but it didn't. All pressures and temps are normal and the engine sounds healthy as a horse. I am registered to run in the "Ultimate Track Car Challenge" at VIR in two weeks but can't run with this noise.

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Folis
Suffolk, VA
Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
D-Cell_Mekanick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The rattling cane back so I put in a new Ford serp belt tensioner. All is good now, the crappy aftermarket one had stop blocks built into it and thats what was making the noise. Hope that helps!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,961, Level 33
Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Pretty funny. They ALL have stops in them, even the Ford ones. Wrong belt and probably crap cheap low tension tensioner. The Ford tensioner wears out faster than almost any other made. Luck with that.

You MUST have the belt sized to fit in the range casted on better quality tensioners. That ensures off the stop. The belt catalogs can be totally full of crap as far as right belt length. Some tensioners sold out there do not have strong enough springs in them, they will allow stop hitting even with correct length belt.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Folis Jones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116500
What I Drive: 2000 Birkin Zetec Racing car

FF Reputation: 1 Folis Jones Good Standing Member
Very interesting and knowledgeable indeed. I have been involved with twin
cam engines since 1965 and have never heard of what you are saying. Please advise me of your sources for this information as well as the correct vendors that supply these parts.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.