2004 Mitsu Lancer EVO Vs 2005 Mustang GT - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
FocusZX3Hatchback
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4986
What I Drive: 2004 Black Ford Ranger Edge Regular Cab 4x2

FF Reputation: 1 FocusZX3Hatchback Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2004 Mitsu Lancer EVO Vs 2005 Mustang GT

All wheel drive 271hp

300hp V8

320 ft lbs

I just herd that the Mustang is a bit lighter and could win it in a drag race....

Both stock

SVT Focus 3 door assembly SVT #978 build of 1978
day that i got my car 3-26-04
^^Sold!!
<font face="Verdana" size=4>Hey, %n! Check me out on <a href="http://www.myspace.com/EricRobinson" target="_blank">MySpace!</a></font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
bowersdaazian
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2963
What I Drive: '04 2.3 ZX3 ; FSW/JCM PWSC SVT

FF Reputation: 8 bowersdaazian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
i highly doubt that the mustang is lighter. The EVO weights just a hair over 3000 curb. The GT probably is more like 3300. Maybe it can win in a drag but i'd rather have the EVO. GT is nice though, and probably cheaper.

"Jam Harder, Penetrate Deeper, Dispense Longer"
and
"In God we Trust, All Others we Monitor, Jam or Deceive"
Old 09-17-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
I agree, I like the EVO better due to it being so exclusive (not many around). I also like pocket rocket's instead of the V8's. I just think it is amazing what some companies can do with little four bangers (some 6's also). As I said in another post, this is the Mustang to buy. It looks damn nice and finally they gave a normal GT Mustang some real ball's. I can't remember what the old 302 5.0L were running HP wise but everyone threw a party when they upped the V8 in the stangs to 265hp but they still get romped on by all the other V8 sport cars. I think with the intro of the 300HP stock GT that maybe Ford will truely become the american muscle car again.

Question: Are they going to have any special production 05 GT's that have more HP? I know that SVT is not coming out with a car in 05 (correct me if I'm wrong) but is anybody else taking a shot at it like maybe Shelby? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
EVO vs. Stang GT.

that would be a fun race to watch. (or be invovled in)

I like the evo. I have test driven one, and it was a blast. When you mash the gas, you better hold on, cause your going for a ride.

I like the AWD of the EVO. it will give a better launch. but there is also more power lost before the wheels turn.

As it was said in the other thread. its hard to get the power of a V8 to the ground in the RWD stangs. But good drivers can do it.

with two professional drivers, experianced with their individual cars, here is my thought:
I think it would be a close race, but i think the Stang would win. The stang is heavier, but does not lose as much power through the drive train. plus it has more ponies to start with.

of course, i might just be biased, since i always have been, and always will be a ford first kind of guy.

of course, if we bring the aftermarket into it, it wont even be a race. bye bye evo.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
dudemanzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2698
What I Drive: 03' Poop White ZX3 2.3L/ 90' Pigeon Grey Camry Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 dudemanzx3 Good Standing Member
I think the evo would win in the 1/4 mile, as long as they're both stock. That awd would deffinately help on the launch and the evo is about 300lbs lighter than the stang. I know a guy with an evo that put it on a dyno and it put out 272hp at the wheels! No joke. And it was stock. He wanted to know what the specs were before he started modding so he could see his gains. I would also deffinately rather own the evo than the stang. I love awd cars and the handling is probably a lot better too. I might go test drive one of those new stangs since I have already driven a new evo.
Custom Magnaflow catback exh w/ 2.5 inch piping
Old 09-19-2004, 01:14 AM   #6
hitthewall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8181
FF Reputation: 1 hitthewall Good Standing Member
these cars were built for two different purposes. the EVO is a track and rally car, while the mustang relies on its brute strength to win. It doesnt handle as well as the evo, and cant turn as well as the evo. in a drag, it would be a good race, it would be a drivers race. but on a track, the stang has no chance.

RIP 03 ZX5

----98 EK hatchback----
b18c, Omni Power titanium valves, springs, and retainers, AEBS intake manifold, Spoon 70mm TB, J's Racing Carbon Intake, HKS adjustable Cam gears, Spoon Exhaust manifold, Spoon lightened flywheel + organic clutch kit, Spoon Bseries baffle oil pan, Honda HAMP oil filter, Mugen valve cover, spoon resivoir covers, PJDM carbon radiator shroud, PJDM triple point strut bar, TOP FUEL b+c pillar bar, PJDM X bar, Omni Power coilovers, Omni Power LCA's, spoon lower tie bar, Full Race traction bars, Spoon SW388's with 205/45/15 bfgoodrich Gforce Sport's, CTR headlights with retrofit HID's, CTR front and rear bumpers, JDM thin side moldings, spoon carbon duckbill wing spoon carbon front lip.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
Beantown Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1894
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black nike air force

FF Reputation: 1 Beantown Focus Good Standing Member
EVO
Old 09-20-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
FocusOnDeez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11663
What I Drive: 01 Ultra White zx3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnDeez Good Standing Member
problem with the evo, it's based on a car that you can pick up right now new for like 11K. It's cool, but to most people, it looks no different than the cheap model being driven around by highschool kids. the STI is something special. the GT is something special, and anyone who'd take ANY kind of JAPANESE I-4 over detroit muscle is a homo. yup, a homo.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #9
xgambit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8571
What I Drive: red 03 FSVT zx5, 95 eclipse GST

FF Reputation: 1 xgambit Good Standing Member
so you're saying that you would turn down a 4.3 sec 0-60 mph Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR than can hit .98g on a skidpad...

just to get a 1980 oldsmobile cutlass supreme...

a car that goes 0-60 in 14.2 seconds?

we need to do some trading.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
ZETEC3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 81
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid grey ZX3, 95 240SX SE

FF Reputation: 1 ZETEC3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by FocusOnDeez
problem with the evo, it's based on a car that you can pick up right now new for like 11K. It's cool, but to most people, it looks no different than the cheap model being driven around by highschool kids. the STI is something special. the GT is something special, and anyone who'd take ANY kind of JAPANESE I-4 over detroit muscle is a homo. yup, a homo.
WRONG! The EVO is in no way shape or form based off of the base lancer. The only thing they share in common is a few door skins and if anything the newer ones are based off of the EVO not the other way around. And you have to be retarded if you can't tell the differences between the base lancer and an EVO. And as for that last part I only hope that your joking cuz if your serious wow.....just wow

Also there is no way that a completely stock EVO put down 270+ even to the front wheels bone stock so it wont with AWD. The mustang GT is going to be faster in a striaght line stock vs stock and the EVO is going to outhandle. Now if its the EVO MR then I would pick that all the way but you should also take into consideration that the new platform for the mustang has limitless handling capabilities.

Bookmarks & Social Networks