Squeaks, creaks, and rattles - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #71
entity
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 entity Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum567 View Post
did you get this fixed? You were right thats the same thing on mine.
I did get that fixed. The service manager told me the tech lined the cluster with tape used on F150's that is soft/furry on one side. The cluster doesn't make a peep now when I manipulate it.

One rattle down... several more to go... My driver door panel rattles loudly with music, even with light bass. I know exactly where it is at too. The last time it was serviced only kept it silent for a day. I'm tired of the countless trips to the dealership so I'll probably wait till Spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #72
Dan.The.Man
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84782
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Dan.The.Man Good Standing Member
Does anybody else have what I can best describe as a intermittent squeak near the base of the windshield/front of the dash? I can't seem to localize it or reproduce it on my own, gets worse at highway speeds. Kinda sounds like rubber moving.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #73
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Ok...I FINALLY discovered the source of the rattle in my headliner. From the drivers seat, while driving, it seems like it's originating from in front of the moon roof. No so. Part of the sound may be coming from the gap between the headliner and the roof of the car in the moon roof area, but the rattle is actually from the plastic unit housing the button for the moon room and the sync microphone. Since it just started doing this, my guess is that it's due to the cold temps that we've been having, and the plastic actually shrinking a bit. Now I just need to find a way to keep it from rattling.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #74
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
Ok...I FINALLY discovered the source of the rattle in my headliner. From the drivers seat, while driving, it seems like it's originating from in front of the moon roof. No so. Part of the sound may be coming from the gap between the headliner and the roof of the car in the moon roof area, but the rattle is actually from the plastic unit housing the button for the moon room and the sync microphone. Since it just started doing this, my guess is that it's due to the cold temps that we've been having, and the plastic actually shrinking a bit. Now I just need to find a way to keep it from rattling.
I lived in Minot, ND in 1982, and I owned a VW Campmobile. In the winter, it got so cold, and the German tolerances in fit and finish were so close, that the plastic contracted around the light rocker-switch to the point that I had to put my hand over the switch and dash to warm it before I could turn it on. Cold does have an effect on plastic parts.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #75
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
Hello Jesse ... I posted my solution to fix the same rattles you have discovered and I also had. There are many ways to get this fixed including getting the dealer to fix it which in most cases is the best solution. As long as you can duplicate the problem for them it should be no issue to get them to fix it.

However if you feel like getting it done with your own hands then you will notice when the rattle occurs during driving that all you have to do is slightly pull down on the headliner to increase the gap between the plastic or the noisy glue or whatever and the rattle will go away. To keep this from returning then I found by stuffing a small piece of foam into the headliner will expand the gap just slightly enough to permanently fix your rattle.

Here is a link to my explanation of how I fixed it with pics ...
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274500

Also you might notice rattles at the rear of the moonroof area too which I noticed after fixing the ones in the front like you mentioned. Do the same for the rear and you will be impressed. And if this doesn't work then pull the foam out (easily done) and go to the dealer for a professional fix.

My headliner is perfect after doing this and it used to rattle constantly. If later some rattles return or glue fails and it starts to fall down then I'll pull the foam out and get a new headliner from the dealer under warranty. But it seems like its going to be fine as is tho.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #76
matthoma
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88033
What I Drive: 2012 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 matthoma Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.The.Man View Post
Does anybody else have what I can best describe as a intermittent squeak near the base of the windshield/front of the dash? I can't seem to localize it or reproduce it on my own, gets worse at highway speeds. Kinda sounds like rubber moving.
This! I would call it more of a clicking or a rattle. Very annoying.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #77
Newless
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92853
What I Drive: 2012 white se

FF Reputation: 1 Newless Good Standing Member
Shortly after I got my Focus (500kms) I had a squeak in the drivers seat.
Now 3000kms it has just stopped.
I think it was the stern talk I had with her.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #78
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
My '10 SES had a ssccrreekk when I opened or closed the cover. I didn't get a sunroof with my '12 SE Sport, for this reason. Looks like a good decision.

Hope everyone gets joyful resolution! I do have an intermittent rattle from the right side of the car, passenger area.

Can't determine where it is coming from, with my shot hearing. When I notice it, I listen for a bit, and it stops quickly. When I try to listen for it, before it appears, it never appears. If I find gremlins in there, they will be killed before they multiply...
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #79
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Anyone else have the drivers side light (the one over your left shoulder) rattling and squeaking? I thought it was coming from the area over the rear passenger window at first, but it's definitely the light. Putting my finger on it while it's rattling stops it. Not sure why it's ratting.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #80
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
ATTENTION: anyone with the rattling headliner problem. There is a problem with the front springs that cause the car to vibrate/headliner to rattle. Ford has a bulletin out about this. I took my car to the dealer for the rattling headliner, and they replaced the springs (to my confusion). It COMPLETELY solved my issue, no "re-gluing" of hte headliner needed!

See this thread.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276396

Bookmarks & Social Networks