Squeaks, creaks, and rattles - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Squeaks, creaks, and rattles....

I certainly hope I don't experience any in my SE. The 12 year and 174,000 mile old Accord it is replacing has not one squeak, creak, rattle, vibration, etc. to be found. I'll be VERY unhappy if it does!

2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE 5spd w/ Sport and Winter pkgs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
entity
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 entity Good Standing Member
To summarize, from what I can tell I have 3 apparent rattles.

1) Headliner as mentioned before.
2) Driver / passenger front door speakers. Stops when I put my hand on the speaker grate. I read in another thread that the dealer replaced someone's whole speaker for this? I'm not 100% sure.
3) Middle area under center console. Sounds like it's from the vents or something. This one doesn't bug me as much but it is still apparent.

Normally I wouldn't complain because I usually have music on. But it is pretty embarrassing when you have passengers and no music to drown it out.

My Cobalt I got rid of had zero cabin noise :(.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
txskeets
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85127
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 4 txskeets Good Standing Member
I've got the same issue with the headliner. Just took it in for service today. Someone mentioned a TSB about this. Does anyone have any info on this TSB? I cant find it anywhere.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh321 View Post
It turns out there was a TSB out on it already.
Which dealer told him that? Mine says there is no such TSB.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Mine has the same problem with the moonroof adhesive coming apart around the perimeter of the moonroof. If you open the roof, you can see a bead of semi clear glue that isn't stuck to anything. I am guessing the glue doesn't like the high heat from the sun. Makes a rattle noise and the headliner is loose. Working with the dealership on a resolution now.

Dealer didn't find a TSB, so if someone has the number, please post it.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
mbueller84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87596
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sedan Titanium Black

FF Reputation: 1 mbueller84 Good Standing Member
I had the exact same problem with the rattle from the headliner. It sounds like Ford really messed up using that adhesive, and I was very frustrated when it started to rattle after a couple days of bringing my car home. To fix the problem I bought some adhesive myself and put a small bead of glue around where the factory adhesive was used. Then I used clamps and lightly held the headliner in place for the glue to dry. This has completely solved the rattling problem for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
I think I might have posted about this in another thread, but after looking at a way to beef up the area, I noticed failed adhesive was my problem, too. I used a couple pieces of double stick tape, and so far so good. I don't think it will be a permanent fix, so I'll take it to the dealer when I can afford to be w/o it for a few days.

Laguna Seca Pedals
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
mysticbluebmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85252
What I Drive: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi

FF Reputation: 1 mysticbluebmw Good Standing Member
Yesterday was it, I was tired of the whole headliner moving up and creaking from the overhead console every time I touch the sunroof button.

I took the overhead center console (w/switches and the bezel) apart, and super-glued strips of cloth where there was large areas of plastic on plastic, and used lithium grease on the sunglasses holder button mechanism. When putting it back I noticed there is a hole on each side, so I screwed in a machine screw all the way through until it came in contact with the larger overhead console (plastic frame around entire roof), and that stopped the overhead center console from being pushed up anymore. It also makes no creaking sounds at all, and the button for the sunglasses holder is quiet and smooth. The whole unit is now rock solid and noise free.

Since the headlinder came unglued in several spots around the overhead console (the plastic frame that encompasses the whole roof), it made a sticky tacky sound every time you touched it, because the failed glue would stick for a second and then unstick. This also made a vibrating creaky sound when driving sometimes. I fixed this by using a temperature resistant epoxy (up to 302F) and reglued those areas.

It all took a few hours to complete, but I am so happy with the results. Everything is solid and quiet. I realize I could taken it to the dealer, but this was more convenient for me, plus they would not have been able to eliminate the creaking sounds from the overhead center console, since that was just cheap parts that were used.

Laguna Seca Pedals
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
I have a squeak coming from the cargo area of the hatch...hard to pinpoint because it only happens when I'm doing 65-70 MPH, and it's not always present. Do have speaker buzzes, too.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
focus2k12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86194
What I Drive: Focus SE 2012

FF Reputation: 1 focus2k12 Good Standing Member
Just checked mine, the front black plastic pieces that were suppose to stay glued to the cloth are disconnected. What kind of glue would you recommend using for that?

Bookmarks & Social Networks