Squeaks, creaks, and rattles - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #131
lauren630

Fan#:
Creaking from side panels

Hello,

I have a 2012 SEL Hatchback with a moon-roof which I purchased in November of 2011. Pretty much since the day I bought this car, the noises it makes have slowly been driving me insane. I've already had the headliner replaced once after an infuriating 3 trips to the dealer to prove it was faulty. The noises returned a few months after replacement. It's gotten to the point now that I dread having to drive anywhere in my car and I turn the radio up to try and drown all the buzzing, rattling, etc. out.

The latest problem I've had that has really pushed me over the edge is on sunny or hot days, if my car sits outside, there will be a constant tapping or creaking noise that will last for upwards of a half hour. Any time the car shifts weight (which is constant when you live in Pittsburgh and have to drive up, down and around hills on pot hole filled roads), a tap or a creak or some noise comes from the sides of the car. My thought is that it is the shiny black plastic pieces that are between the windows on the side of the car heat up in the sun and cause the noise, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I am reluctant to go back to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle as I have had nothing but problems with them. The last time I was there, they had to fix the interior dome lights that they screwed up when replacing my headliner. When they called me in to pick up my "finished" car, I learned that they had replaced the wrong bulb and didn't even check to make sure things were working. They then had to keep the car an additional day and give me a rental. The best part was when I got a call 2 weeks later from the rental car company telling me I never returned the rental car and owed them $600 because the dealer forgot to take it back. Thankfully I was not charged for this, but I don't really want to go back there. Is it possible to go to a different Ford dealer to get repairs done or am I stuck with the dealer where I purchased the vehicle?

Overall, I like the vehicle (good size for me, great mileage, iPod hookup, etc.), but all these noises have driven me to start looking for a new car. I know that have a heightened sensitivity to noise and a much lower tolerance than most, but I can't stand this vehicle or the cheap materials that were used to make it. It kills me every month to see my payment go through and know that I paid (and am still paying) way too much money for a cheap plastic car that sounds like a Knex set.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #132
lckyjj10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119430
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 lckyjj10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren630 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2012 SEL Hatchback with a moon-roof which I purchased in November of 2011. Pretty much since the day I bought this car, the noises it makes have slowly been driving me insane. I've already had the headliner replaced once after an infuriating 3 trips to the dealer to prove it was faulty. The noises returned a few months after replacement. It's gotten to the point now that I dread having to drive anywhere in my car and I turn the radio up to try and drown all the buzzing, rattling, etc. out.

The latest problem I've had that has really pushed me over the edge is on sunny or hot days, if my car sits outside, there will be a constant tapping or creaking noise that will last for upwards of a half hour. Any time the car shifts weight (which is constant when you live in Pittsburgh and have to drive up, down and around hills on pot hole filled roads), a tap or a creak or some noise comes from the sides of the car. My thought is that it is the shiny black plastic pieces that are between the windows on the side of the car heat up in the sun and cause the noise, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I am reluctant to go back to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle as I have had nothing but problems with them. The last time I was there, they had to fix the interior dome lights that they screwed up when replacing my headliner. When they called me in to pick up my "finished" car, I learned that they had replaced the wrong bulb and didn't even check to make sure things were working. They then had to keep the car an additional day and give me a rental. The best part was when I got a call 2 weeks later from the rental car company telling me I never returned the rental car and owed them $600 because the dealer forgot to take it back. Thankfully I was not charged for this, but I don't really want to go back there. Is it possible to go to a different Ford dealer to get repairs done or am I stuck with the dealer where I purchased the vehicle?

Overall, I like the vehicle (good size for me, great mileage, iPod hookup, etc.), but all these noises have driven me to start looking for a new car. I know that have a heightened sensitivity to noise and a much lower tolerance than most, but I can't stand this vehicle or the cheap materials that were used to make it. It kills me every month to see my payment go through and know that I paid (and am still paying) way too much money for a cheap plastic car that sounds like a Knex set.
This is how I feel, see previous post... the noises absolutely ruin the car.
They sort of managed to half fix the rattle from my grab handle. But there is still a LOUD ticking in the roof that I can't locate the source of, and that the dealer hasn't acknowledged yet. If I could find it myself I would do whatever it takes to fix it. I don't have the time to dedicate to investigating this pos with the dealer over and over. They've had it plenty of times (6? i don't even remember the total), and as soon as I'm driven over the edge again I'll bring it in again.

The rep here just got me talking on someone with the phone about it but they couldn't get anything else done of course. They couldn't do anything more than I could (telling the dealer to fix it). I'm not sure what the point of it was, just random calls and me saying "yeah I'm still trying to get the dealer to fix it".

EDIT: Here I youtubed what I showed the dealer (like 3 trips to the dealer ago). This is the BS I have to deal with all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwtlO03aHTE crank the volume and feel my pain
Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #133
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,276, Level 35
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren630 View Post
Hi lauren630,

I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a solution. Please PM your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and the servicing dealership of your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckyjj10 View Post
The rep here just got me talking on someone with the phone about it but they couldn't get anything else done of course. They couldn't do anything more than I could (telling the dealer to fix it). I'm not sure what the point of it was, just random calls and me saying "yeah I'm still trying to get the dealer to fix it".
Hey lckyjj10,

I'd like to look into this further for you. Please PM your VIN & I'll go from there.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #134
lckyjj10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119430
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 lckyjj10 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hi lauren630,

Hey lckyjj10,

I'd like to look into this further for you. Please PM your VIN & I'll go from there.

Todd
I already PM'd my details and such to "FordServiceCA", nothing came of it except I had to repeat myself to someone on a phone with what I was doing with the dealer.

I've pretty much accepted that I'm not happy with it and not much is going to happen until I find and fix it, or it gets loud enough that a half deaf person is annoyed by it so the dealer can say that they've heard it.

I've wasted enough time with it for now..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwtlO03aHTE
Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #135
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Anyone else's windshield make kind of a clicking or ticking noise when going over bumps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca45006 View Post
Mine does - It sounds like a metal hitting glass. It sounds like its coming from where the top of the windshield meets the roof. It starts when the temp drops under 45 degress and gets worse (louder and more frequent) as the temp gets colder. Since the temp here in central Ohio has been really cold (under 20 degrees F) it's getting really bad. I wonder how many other people have this problem and if there is a fix. Thanks.
I got this rattle like a month ago and it's driving me crazy because I'm not actually where where it's coming from. I'm pressing down on the dash, the headliner, A-pillar, etc. while driving and I can't find it!

I also have a rattle from the driver's side tweeter and the passenger seat clicks when it's cold out. (sorry about the helicopter)

If anyone has found the fix for that (short of replacing the passenger seat track) let me know. It's weird, because it clicks if you push down and then slow pull up. So it's not like something rattling in the seat - there is something actually sticking and causing it to click. It's weird.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #136
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
My 2012 Focus has been rattle free ..... except, now the driver seat creaks sometimes. Doesn't sound like it's coming from the rails. Sounds like it's coming from within the seat itself. Mainly the bottom cushion. Weird. I'm 5' 10" about 176 lbs. So I'm somewhat average height & weight. Never had a creaking seat before.
i had the same driver seat problem and although it took two trips to the dealer it was finally fixed... seems that two 'springs' were touching just barely and depending on who was sitting in the seat (me or the dealer tech) it squeaked or didn't. they took the seat out and pulled the 'springs' farther apart... Been silent as the grave since....
Old 11-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #137
IngotMK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus

Points 3,989, Level 40
Points: 3,989, Level: 40 Points: 3,989, Level: 40 Points: 3,989, Level: 40
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Cold weather is bring some added interior creaks but, nothing crazy here.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #138
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,149, Level 40
Points: 4,149, Level: 40 Points: 4,149, Level: 40 Points: 4,149, Level: 40
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I have a couple annoying rattles that I'm locating and going to bug Ford about them but this car has exhibited a bit more rattles than my 14 year old 4Runner with 180k on it and it's also bounced around off-road quite a bit.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #139
SuiTnTie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 145266
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 SuiTnTie Good Standing Member
I've had my focus two weeks now. I bought it used - 2012 SE w/ 19k on it. It was quiet as a coffin when I took it out on the test drive and remained so for the first week I had it. Then came the headliner rattle. Stuck some foam up there per recommendations on this forum. Seems to work.

But now I have a rattle from the passenger side door as well as behind/in the steering column. Reading through this thread has scared the bejeesus out of me. If the car rattles like this now when it's only two years old, what will it be like 5 years from now?!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #140
skiboarder119
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98455
What I Drive: 2012 black TI 5spd

Points 361, Level 7
Points: 361, Level: 7 Points: 361, Level: 7 Points: 361, Level: 7
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 skiboarder119 Good Standing Member
The one n the steering column your taking about is the two halves if the instrument cluster. It's pretty easy to pull out and put felt tape around. Make sure the one on your passenger side door isn't just a different part of the headliner. It fooled me a bit like that.

I've found that after years and years some restless actually get better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.