JL Audio CleanSweep vs. Alpine PXE-H660 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Focus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86441
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 Focus2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
JL Audio CleanSweep vs. Alpine PXE-H660

Hey Guys,

So like all of you, I am not satisfied with the stock stereo and am going to do something about it. I am torn between the JL Audio CleanSweep and the Alpine PXE-H660 LOC's.

One the one hand, the Alpine allows the factory volume controls to be used, while in the JL Audio one you need to use a new one.

On the other hand, I've heard the alpine sounds like shit (and alpine has been discontinued it after only a year) while the JL Audio sounds awesome.

I'm hoping that a new volume control knob wouldn't be too big a deal, even though I'd also loose my steering wheel volume control.

THOUGHTS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Wait til Metra comes out with a dash kit and get an aftermarket HU.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
CalgaryDrummer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84317
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Black

FF Reputation: 1 CalgaryDrummer Good Standing Member
I like my stock stereo :) my upgraded 10 speaker stock stereo
Old 06-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Focus2012
Focus Enthusiast

I have decided to go with the following setup:

JL Audio Cleansweep
Hertz Energy 6.5" Components [Front]
Hertz Energy 6.5" Coaxial [Rear]
Hertz Energy 8" 4ohm Sub
Alpine MRX-V60 5-Channel Amp

I figure loosing the factory volume control is a small price to pay for amazing sound. Audiobarn in Exeter NH will be doing the upgrade for me in July.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Ehbnerohraa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78342
What I Drive: 2003 Twlight Sedan SPI

FF Reputation: 1 Ehbnerohraa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
JL audio FTW ! The sound is so crisp !
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Focus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehbnerohraa View Post
JL audio FTW ! The sound is so crisp !
Posted via FF Mobile
lol, thats what I'm hoping for!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
So how does it provide volume control? I'm looking for a similar product but really don't want to give up factory controls...unless the unit can integrate it's own controls reasonably well.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Focus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
So how does it provide volume control? I'm looking for a similar product but really don't want to give up factory controls...unless the unit can integrate it's own controls reasonably well.
Well basically, it works the same way the Alpine PXE-H660 does, except that based on how it "cleans" the signal, the settings change proportionaly to the volume level. Thus, if you use the stock volume control, it messes up the "clean" signal. The only way to change the volume without messing up this signal is to go through the CleanSweep unit itself.

Basically, it comes with a separate volume knob that you can mount anywhere you want in your vehicle. Whoever installs the system, tunes it by changing the stock volume control to a particular position (keep record of this number incase your friend changes the volume from the stock HU) among other things. Then you simply mount the volume knob anywhere you want and your good to go. Besides the volume control, which I agree is kind of a pain-in-the-ass, ALL OTHER factory items remain completely intact. Here is a link to there site:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=369

I was originally going to go with the Alpine unit, but based on reviews, and the strong recommendation of the professional who is installing my system (also a certified Alpine dealer), I decided against it. Alpine themselves are discontinuing the unit after just one year, because although you get to keep factory volume knob, it supposedly doesn't sound very good in the end, and much worse than the CleanSweep.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Where did you mount the volume control?

I'm curious to know how the stock volume pot is wired in...basically I'm thinking about taking off the panel it's attached to, and connecting the stock pot to the Cleansweep. Naturally might be soldering a few points, but might be worth it unless the two are somehow incompatible...

What enclosure are you using for the sub? I'm really more versed in pro audio, where 8" woofers sound fantastic all day long...but a lot of that is due to good woofers and good enclosures...curious to know what you used and how it sounds. I'm thinking a quality 8" sub with proper ported box might sound great, and won't rattle the license plate off. May stick with a 10" sealed, though.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
Focus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Where did you mount the volume control?

I'm curious to know how the stock volume pot is wired in...basically I'm thinking about taking off the panel it's attached to, and connecting the stock pot to the Cleansweep. Naturally might be soldering a few points, but might be worth it unless the two are somehow incompatible...

What enclosure are you using for the sub? I'm really more versed in pro audio, where 8" woofers sound fantastic all day long...but a lot of that is due to good woofers and good enclosures...curious to know what you used and how it sounds. I'm thinking a quality 8" sub with proper ported box might sound great, and won't rattle the license plate off. May stick with a 10" sealed, though.
I haven't decided where the volume control knob is going to go. I meet with the guy in couple weeks to decide and get started. I'm thinking that since I have an SE hatchback with a manual transmission, I may put it where the pushbutton start is??? I really don't know yet. In regards to the stock knob, I'm sure there are ways it can be done, but I wouldn't mess with it in case you want to go back to stock later.

I'm having a custom box made for me, I really don't want to blow my trunk off, just add some good stuff down low.

Bookmarks & Social Networks