Highway lane drifting - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumFred View Post
Electric steering took a little bit to adjust to as the ratios are speed dependent. I have no issues with the steering at any speed. Just the large turning radius on such a small car
yeah the turning radius is atrocious :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #32
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
Well it can't be as bad as my long bed Silverado.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #33
MGDeftones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86854
What I Drive: 2012 TI

FF Reputation: 1 MGDeftones Good Standing Member
Never had any drifting issue, but I definitely notice that this steering wheel has a lot less play in it than any car I've ever driven. Usually you can turn the wheel about a half an inch and it doesn't effect the car. With the Focus, every little movement can be felt for sure.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #34
seamustry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86768
What I Drive: :::

FF Reputation: 1 seamustry Good Standing Member
just have to get used to it i guess....didn't notice anything during test drive but that was a short time only
Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #35
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlqx View Post
+1 to this. I've been driving the car on the highway to and from work the past few days and have been noticing this more and more. I agree it is annoying and the steering is very sensitive to slight movements at 70mph. The best way I can describe this is that when the wheel is centered going straight, there is a small notch of resistance if you move the wheel either way. You tend to put more effort into the wheel because of it and when you do and you get past that 'notch', that's when the car responds with a large amount of adjustment to the wheels rather than the smaller amount you expected.

I'd like to add though that grooves in the road are exaggerated by this system. I find they have way more affect on wheel in this car than any other car I've driven. That's definitely not a positive thing.

So nope, I don't think people are crazy to complain about the steering on these. The car still handles well in corners, but maintaining a straight path definitely requires more effort.
Wow, you nailed my experience exactly. There are a couple of other threads on this site with people complaining about this behavior but this thread has definitely been the most informative. I would think it HAS to be related to "Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) with Pull-Drift Compensation" feature. I thought I was crazy until I read the 15 posts up here describing the same thing. I am working with my dealer and have a Ford Customer Service Rep also tracking the problem for me. I will post if I reach a resolution.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #36
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
I have not noticed this at all with my car.

Is it possible you're experiencing tramlining? Because I definitely have in the past, but not with the Focus. I have the 18" PS3 tires.

Just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining

Tony
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #37
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
I've noticed this from the day I first bought the car and after watching my girlfriend drive it from the passanger seat I have come to the conclusion that all the electronic nanny's keep the car straight, so there is no need to physically adjust and compensate for bumps in the roads, cross winds, road elevation changes etc... The car makes corrections for us, no need to make small adjustments, just point it in the direction you want to go.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #38
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
I've noticed this from the day I first bought the car and after watching my girlfriend drive it from the passanger seat I have come to the conclusion that all the electronic nanny's keep the car straight, so there is no need to physically adjust and compensate for bumps in the roads, cross winds, road elevation changes etc... The car makes corrections for us, no need to make small adjustments, just point it in the direction you want to go.
So was you girl friend able to keep it straight or was she snaking? I don't think it would bother me if the car corrected itself as long as the corrections resulted in a straight line.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #39
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
I think it's a major placebo affect going on.. people are seeing people complain about things on this forum and then starting to think they are encountering the "same problem."

To be honest, I never noticed any highway lane drifting until I read this thread complaining about it then I started noticing that my car did drift but then I thought if I never noticed it before why all of a sudden now?

I'm sure the majority of the complaints are legitimate but like Engineer said, stop trying to oversteer and let it do it's work. I'd be curious to know how many people are driving with one hand and complaining about drifting.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #40
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by completely_focused View Post
So was you girl friend able to keep it straight or was she snaking? I don't think it would bother me if the car corrected itself as long as the corrections resulted in a straight line.
LOL, She was able to keep it straight. ONLY because shes a bad driver, she doesn't compensate for bumps and road conditions until she's close to hitting the median or another car. She kept praising the focus for how it stays so straight and rides and handles so well. I've come to the conclusion that we snake when we are driving because the good driver in us trys to compensate for road conditions, but the Focus is like " I already got it", it's a tugg of war with us trying to correct and the nanny's trying to correct.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->