Highway lane drifting - Page 22 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #211
sergheirom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94617
What I Drive: 2011 Moondust Silver 1.6

FF Reputation: 1 sergheirom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Until that time the problem is growing.

I am from Moscow and we have more than 400 users on one of our local Ford Focus forums that have the same steering problem. Also I saw that there are some other people from other countries have the same steering problem. This problem is global.

EPAS seems to be a cause.

You, guys, have an authority in USA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - that can stop the sales of this dangerous car.

Can you, please, somebody write a complaint to NHTSA?

Do you have somebody in USA that had an accident because of this steering wandering? In Russia in the advertisements I saw only 2 crashed cars, but these were sold thousands in 2011.

Last edited by sergheirom; 02-04-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #212
Triborough
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92479
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Triborough Good Standing Member
Just passed the 4000 mile mark yesterday and today I noticed some of the lane drifting while on the Turnpike at speed and also at low speed. It sort of feels "lose" in a way as the steering felt firm before.
My build date was 29.11.2011.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #213
mokz316
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93668
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL HB

FF Reputation: 3 mokz316 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaputtEqu1pment View Post
If i talk to my dealer about this, and they insist that i get an alignment instead of carrying out the tsb, would I have to pay for it or would there be a ground for me to get it done for free?
i took mine for the same lane drifting/wandering issue and showed them the TSB and they took it in and did the TSB and found something else.. they had to special order a new sway bar as they found out that on the same TSB it noted that for 12'Focus build prior to Nov. 2011 sway bar was to be put/replaced. after the day the was over, got back my car and did not recieve any additional bill.. the statement i got was for $0 as it was covered by the warranty.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #214
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
My steering feels loose as well (specially at low speeds), drifts mostly to the left as I brake... etc.

My dealer says that "it's normal"... "power-assisted steering it's meant to be soft"... etc etc, guess I'll just try a different dealer :(
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #215
Triborough
Focus Enthusiast

28 Days Later. . .

I dropped off the car this morning at the dealer. Drove around a bit with the service manager and he didn't see anything.
By car was built 28 days later than the TSB, which he called up and he said he was going to also contract Ford engineering about the issue.

Got a VW Jetta as a loaner, which makes me miss my Focus even more!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #216
Triborough
Focus Enthusiast

Dealer just called, they said they didn't find anything.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #217
clickman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93645
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium HB

Points 173, Level 3
Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 clickman Good Standing Member
As posted in a thread on the tech forum:
[Quote:]
Originally Posted by Focus 2012
Your Ford dealer can go on the Ford in-house computer site called HVBOM to determine which steering gear (or any other part for that matter) was installed in your car at the factory. According to the TSB it would either be part number BV6Z-3504-CE OR BV6Z-3504-DE. The TSB states that a 2012 Focus that came with 18 inch wheels should have a BV6Z-3504-CE and without 18 inch wheels, i.e. 16 or 17 inch, it should have a BV6Z-3504-DE. Hope this helps. [Unquote]

I find this very interesting. Different steering gear for the 18's, which I have. So I have to wonder at the implications of going to 16's, which was my plan for winter...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #218
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
As posted in a thread on the tech forum:
Your Ford dealer can go on the Ford in-house computer site called HVBOM to determine which steering gear (or any other part for that matter) was installed in your car at the factory. According to the TSB it would either be part number BV6Z-3504-CE OR BV6Z-3504-DE. The TSB states that a 2012 Focus that came with 18 inch wheels should have a BV6Z-3504-CE and without 18 inch wheels, i.e. 16 or 17 inch, it should have a BV6Z-3504-DE. Hope this helps. [Unquote]

I find this very interesting. Different steering gear for the 18's, which I have. So I have to wonder at the implications of going to 16's, which was my plan for winter...
CAVEAT: this may be totally wrong, but...

It seems to me, possible, that the 18" only steering rack has internally-limited travel, so that the 18" wheels do not foul any of the suspension parts, body structure, etc. So fitting smaller wheels on your car, only would mean that your turning circle is larger than if the car were equipped with 17" or less diameter rims (and had the longer-travel / more sharply turning steering rack from the factory).

I understand that there is also another way to limit steering rack travel... i.e. with external means... so that 18" wheels could be retrofitted to a car.

Like I said, I could be in left field with this... and the more I think of it... why would Ford go to the expense of commissioning the development (from TRW) of another, Titanium-18" wheel car specific steering rack, just for limiting steering travel.

????
Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #219
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

Points 1,931, Level 26
Points: 1,931, Level: 26 Points: 1,931, Level: 26 Points: 1,931, Level: 26
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
[QUOTE=clickman;4016591]As posted in a thread on the tech forum:
Your Ford dealer can go on the Ford in-house computer site called HVBOM to determine which steering gear (or any other part for that matter) was installed in your car at the factory. According to the TSB it would either be part number BV6Z-3504-CE OR BV6Z-3504-DE. The TSB states that a 2012 Focus that came with 18 inch wheels should have a BV6Z-3504-CE and without 18 inch wheels, i.e. 16 or 17 inch, it should have a BV6Z-3504-DE. Hope this helps.
[QUOTE]

Do you or does anyone know which part is the one that potentially bad?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #220
sergheirom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94617
What I Drive: 2011 Moondust Silver 1.6

FF Reputation: 1 sergheirom Good Standing Member
On Friday I was at my official dealer service. I have EPAS.

The guys from the service reseted all the setting from all the electronic system (not only EPAS, but absolutly all car settings) - the system was totally reinstalled.

After it I was programing this electronic rack on a highway at 70-100 mph. It took to program 30 miles and 20 minutes.

I already run 100 miles and the car have never steer to a wrong direction. Never.

I felt several times that the rack was working and it was steering correctly exactly when it was needed.

I'll keep you informed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.