Highway lane drifting - Page 20 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #191
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaboy View Post
I've consulted my dealer and they say the car has no problems are there are no TSB's applicable so they can't help me. I'm Canadian so does that make me SOL?
What dealership in the Metro Vancouver are you dealing with?

This whole thread, if you read it from the beginning tells the story in its entirety.

If you are having trouble, I will PM you, regarding an individual who is very good with Fords at one of the Metro area dealerships.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #192
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Hi, when I brake to a full stop I get the feeling I am going through a small bump and my wheel turns itself slightly to the left (or sometimes right)... also it's kinda difficult to drive the car one handed, I get a loose/light steering wheel feeling, has anyone experienced this and have it fixed by this TSB?... thanks in advance
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #193
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelaya View Post
Hi, when I brake to a full stop I get the feeling I am going through a small bump and my wheel turns itself slightly to the left (or sometimes right)...
My car did this too! If it still does, I think I got used to it or something? Because I never had the TSB applied. I did have the transmission recalibration applied, but I donít see how that would be related.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #194
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
This is not an alignment/tire issue because

1) The car drifts both left and right, sometimes against the crown of the road (not caster)
2) The steering becomes notchy, such that the force required to steer causes a slight jump as the wheel turns, making it very difficult to point the car in a straight line
3) The characteristic becomes much more prominent with high speeds (>45mph)
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #195
jcornwall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88283
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti YB Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jcornwall Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaboy View Post
The only way to describe my experience at highway speeds is that if I nudge the wheel just a bit left or right then the car would dart at the nudged direction. Basically, I feel like I'm going to get killed if I don't make super minute adjustments at 60MPH+, like the car just isn't firmly planted on the ground. Is this just me not being used to EPAS or is it an actual problem?
That's certainly not normal, no.

At high speeds my Focus tracks a straight line very well. The steering has a very small soft area in which to make minor corrections, bounded by resistance to prevent accidental steering. I make small initial corrections with my fingers (no hand movement) and the car will turn by a slight amount, just enough to correct its track over distance.

Then, as long as the road is straight and not too bumpy, the car needs very little hand holding over a long distance. It's less needy than some other cars I've driven, if I'm honest.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #196
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
I've gotta get on this TSB. Going down the highway in this is no different than in my 00 Protege (with shot suspension and everything else) I traded in for my Focus.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #197
Test Engineer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88499
What I Drive: 2012 titanium focus

FF Reputation: 1 Test Engineer Good Standing Member
Well it's been awhile since I last reported my troubles with the steering issue among many other things. After many visits with the dealer about my steering problem,they finally decided to accept the fact that there is a problem when I had to educate them that there was finally a TSB out on this issue. The service rendered has been nothing short of frustration. From the very first visit, the dealership made excuses like "Well my car(focus) doesn't do that" to "we just don't have that kind of time for an extended test drive." When I got Ford corporate customer service involved, it was nothing more than going through a middle man to relay the same information to the dealer. One would think they could do more but experience tells otherwise. Help center wanted me communicate via email. I had to frequently follow up.

Now it's been 6 months after I have purchased my focus titanium and I am still awaiting for the supposedly back ordered rack and pinion. Vehicle now has close to 8k.

There have been blogs about as you rack the miles, the steering issue improves. It does seem that most of the notchy feeling has gone away after about 4k but on the other hand it couldbe me getting used it.I still need to drive with 2 hands and it does still drift - as one put it it's mildly twitchy now. In all the cars I have driven, I have never had to drive with both hands on the wheel until now.

About other observances about ford focus:
-navigation unit is nice but has locked up on me twice where the work around was to unplug the battery to reset - recommended by dealer.

-DCT transmission. It's great that it saves gas but comfort suffers do to this design. I am surprised none of the car reviews discuss how uncomfortable it is to drive in stop and go traffic. Transmission shudders and there is a laggy feel between stopping and accelerating which actually has at times caused motion sickness with me and the passengers due to unpredictable engagement of the clutch. Engineers should have the clutch engage proportionally with the brakes and accelerator.
This transmission is nothing more than a manual transmission controlled by computer. This is where it went wrong. The computer does not have enough intelligence on how much clutch pressure it needs to be applied for different driving conditions, instead it had one universal setting. Another observance noted is that the engine idles rough at times - probably due to high compression. I think it would be very difficult to diagnose in the future if there were any engine problems such as misfiring, tuneup issues,etc.

I don't know if anyone has inspected the undercarriage of the transmission but on mine there is some black dried liquid leaking out of the tranny. I'm pretty sure this is common. It looks like coating stuff that melted off the clutch materials. Eventually I'll get it checked out.,

To put everything in perspective, I would like you to know that I own 4 ford vehicles.

Have Ford Focus Titanium fully loaded.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #198
jcornwall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88283
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti YB Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jcornwall Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Engineer View Post
-DCT transmission. It's great that it saves gas but comfort suffers do to this design. I am surprised none of the car reviews discuss how uncomfortable it is to drive in stop and go traffic. Transmission shudders and there is a laggy feel between stopping and accelerating which actually has at times caused motion sickness with me and the passengers due to unpredictable engagement of the clutch.
You should hit up the DCT thread to discuss this further, but I would point out this isn't a universal issue.

My Focus handles just fine in stop and go traffic. It's smooth to launch - either by waiting out the clutch engagement delay, or lightly accelerating (which gets a virtually instant response, IMO) - and smooth to brake back to a stop. No shudder when moving or idle. It feels identical to a torque converter save for the clutch delay (which is by design, and the accelerator bypasses it) and weaker fake "creep".

I'm sure the issue you're experiencing is real, but as far as I can tell isn't by design of the DCT.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #199
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I have quite a bit of miles on my car (13,800) and since I’ve gotten the car I’ve noticed the same as ccelaya. That is: “when I brake to a full stop I get the feeling I am going through a small bump and my wheel turns itself slightly to the left (or sometimes right)”

But a few times I’ve noticed that it’s hard to drive a straight line with cross-winds. They’re not necessarily strong crosswinds (i.e. today they were 10-15mph from the west) but I had to pay attention to my steering wheel input nonstop last night and this morning. Not that I usually don’t pay attention, but consciously having to hold the wheel because it [EDIT] seems to resist turning both left AND right while driving down the same stretch of road wasn’t very comforting. Do you think this is related to the TSB? I’ve known about this TSB for several months, but this is the first time it’s bothered me enough to think I might be affected. My dealer probably hates me after the transmission and headliners I forced them to fix and to throw this at them would make me feel needy...

Last edited by PratoN; 01-24-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: awkward wording
Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #200
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
But a few times Iíve noticed that itís hard to drive a straight line with cross-winds. Theyíre not necessarily strong crosswinds (i.e. today they were 10-15mph from the west) but I had to pay attention to my steering wheel input nonstop last night and this morning. Not that I usually donít pay attention, but consciously having to hold the wheel because it jerks both left AND right while driving down the same stretch of road wasnít very comforting. Do you think this is related to the TSB?
For the TSB the symptoms are basically:
The vehicle drifts left and right, without crosswind, sometimes against the crown of the road, and it happens while holding the steering wheel still without jerky feedback. At highway speeds, it becomes difficult to correct because the steering wheel stiffens, and a correction causes a notchy change, making it difficult to drive centerline. It's like the steering wheel is tacked in place and some force breaks it free but then you steer too far.

Getting the TSB applied requires one visit to get the part ordered, usually a 7 day lead time, and a second visit to get it installed. In my case, my car had a week long date with the technician, but I doubt it should have taken that long.

Bookmarks & Social Networks