Highway lane drifting - Page 19 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #181
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here is some info on EPAS and Drift Control from the Oct. 2010 Source Book.

Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS) with Drift Control and Active Nibble Control
• EPAS is a sophisticated electric speed-sensitive assist for the rack-and-pinion steering system
– Offers light, responsive steering around town and for parking
– At higher speeds, EPAS delivers less steering assist for more confident control
• EPAS replaces the hydraulic gear system that pulled power (and efficiency) from the engine via a belt
• Helps improve fuel economy and eliminate hydraulic noises common with hydraulic systems
Drift Control
• An automatic system that uses EPAS to help continuously correct for road irregularities and improve overall steering feel
• System is continually “learning” and adapting to steering conditions and compensates for changes that can cause the vehicle to pull left or right
– Assists the steering effort to help the driver maintain a straighter path
– Helps driver avoid unwanted lane changes (or drift)
• Reduces steering effort required when driving on crowned roads or in heavy side winds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #182
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
have you checked the tire pressure? Mine came 5 psi over the recommened 35 psi.
I'd meant to. Thanks for reminding me.

All of that fancy talk about what EPS tries to do makes me more not less certain that what I'm sensing is a characteristic. (Not a great one, maybe.)

Update: all slightly high; none more then 37 or so.

Last edited by Dick W; 01-01-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: updated with results of tire pressure check
Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #183
fishcat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90434
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 fishcat Good Standing Member
Sorry it took so long to report back but I did get the TSB fix for my Focus although it took a month to get accomplished due to a national backorder for the mounting hardware. Anyhow, I am so very glad that I went through the process as the end result is fantastic. I really thought I was being picky about the steering jitter I was feeling but after getting the vehicle back I am thrilled with the result. The steering is stable and tight. No more back and forth with the steering wheel and the fatigue from my commute is no longer due to the wandering. If anyone notices the issue I described previously, don't hesitate. Again thrilled with the result and impressed with how Ford handled the situation without any hassle.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #184
Vernl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92066
What I Drive: 2012 Tri white Titanium 401a

FF Reputation: 1 Vernl Good Standing Member
Mine tracks straight as an arrow with both summer and winter tires...I'd say you have alignment issues...if you get the alignment checked, make sure they do the 4 wheel type of alignment
Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #185
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
What is the TSB number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcat View Post
Sorry it took so long to report back but I did get the TSB fix for my Focus although it took a month to get accomplished due to a national backorder for the mounting hardware. Anyhow, I am so very glad that I went through the process as the end result is fantastic. I really thought I was being picky about the steering jitter I was feeling but after getting the vehicle back I am thrilled with the result. The steering is stable and tight. No more back and forth with the steering wheel and the fatigue from my commute is no longer due to the wandering. If anyone notices the issue I described previously, don't hesitate. Again thrilled with the result and impressed with how Ford handled the situation without any hassle.
Sorry, don't feel like reading every post. But my car does the same. It is not happy going in a straight line. Like some other posters have said, it is like a detent and it keeps wanting to go to one side or the other going down the highway. Frustrating on a long trip. I definitely want to have all the info prior to talking to a dealer, as I usually get better results if I know more about known manufactures issues than the service dept does.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #186
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
Ok, just to confirm (since I've no idea how a car without the problem should drive). If there is no problem then the car should not be hyper-sensitive at highway speeds... right?

The only way to describe my experience at highway speeds is that if I nudge the wheel just a bit left or right then the car would dart at the nudged direction. Basically, I feel like I'm going to get killed if I don't make super minute adjustments at 60MPH+, like the car just isn't firmly planted on the ground. Is this just me not being used to EPAS or is it an actual problem?

I done 3 trips to Seattle from Vancouver within the last month (just got back from one today) and really, I've never driven a car like this that leaves the impression that I'll die if I don't grip the wheel with both hands the whole time and put my attention into overdrive and watch everything like a hawk.

I've consulted my dealer and they say the car has no problems are there are no TSB's applicable so they can't help me. I'm Canadian so does that make me SOL?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #187
fishcat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90434
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 fishcat Good Standing Member
azfocus2012,

you describe the problem i was having but i can't say for sure not being able to try it. I would take it to the dealer and let them take it for a highway test drive. I don't normally complain about much but that was starting to really get to me because I have a daily commute of 140 miles round trip. After the repair, I believe they changed out the steering rack due to a gear assembly issue for the feedback to the computer, the "detent" feel was gone and I've put several thousand miles on the car since without issue.

They will look up the manufacture date of the car and even though mine was a week or so after their cutoff date because they thought the issue was under control, they still replaced mine. I'm guessing they didn't have all of the offending racks pulled off the assembly line yet.

Bakaboy, I don't know what to tell you on your issue. I didn't experience any hypersensitive steering. I don't know if it could be related or not. I would definately keep talking with the dealer if it's that bad.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #188
drvudoo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89975
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 drvudoo Good Standing Member
Don't let your dealer BS you. My dealer said the same thing. I had to have Natasha from Ford customer service to help get the ball rolling. Take from me. After the steering gear was replaced the car is perfect and I have confidence in the car. The feeling that you could die was what I had. You should never having that feeling from a new car. Fight for your rights. It's been 3 months since they fixed my issue. Steering is predictable like it should. There is no guessing if the power assist kicks in and you over compansate. I had to go to another dealership because even with Fords help I had no confidence in my dealership.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #189
wsdmskr825
Banned

Fan#: 87715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 wsdmskr825 Good Standing Member
Yep, Vernl, this 16 page thread is all due to an alignment issue. Thanks for figuring out for us all.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #190
drvudoo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89975
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 drvudoo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
I don't know if any one else has suggested this, but have you checked the tire pressure? Mine came 5 psi over the recommened 35 psi. Once I corrected the tire pressure the car handled a lot better.
I wish everyone would stop trivializing this issue as alignment and tire pressure. This problem is beyond that.

You don't know how serious this issue is until it happens to you. For those that run into this issue all I can say is there is light at the end of the tunnel. Others on this forum and I have found no issues after parts were replaced. In my case the steering gear. Others had the rack replaced.

Tire pressure and alignment may stave off the issue for a while, but it's not the root cause. The wandering issue will come back.

So please stop trolling.

Contact Ford Customer Service (national number) NOT YOUR DEALER. Natasha watches the forum and can hook you up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks